2007................. 57...................1,467........25.7.......... 18

2006..................42....................824..........19.6........... 5

2005..................40....................655..........16.4........... 9

2004 did not play (redshirted)

Career .............206..................4,203........20.4........... 50

----------------------

[From "Ninernation" sizing up Barden as draft prospect]

Strengths

Obviously size is a big strength for Barden. He's been able to utilize that size to set numerous college records. Slightly less discussed is his hand size. At the Senior Bowl (he was the first Cal Poly player invited in school history), his hands measured bigger than anybody else at 11 inches (I wonder what that measurement includes?). With mitts like that, he better be able to hold onto the ball.

It sounds like he really utilizes his size to make up for a lack of separation ability. Of course, when you're 6'6 you hopefully have the ability to out-leap the DB covering you. Furthermore, with that kind of size, it sounds like he has no problem getting physical with defenders, and more importantly, is willing to go across the middle. Show me a wide receiver afraid of going across the middle and I'll show you a receiver I probably don't want.

Weaknesses

The main rap against him is of course, the fact that he played in Division I-AA at Cal Poly (go Mustangs!). This problem is two-fold. First, it's a lower level of competition and people are often quick to discount the player's performance at that level. It's a cliche, but it's true: At the I-AA level, Ramses Barden was a man among boys. He broke Jerry Rice's record at any level for consecutive games with a TD catch, and also tied Randy Moss's single season record. (note, Jerry Rice was also a small school prospect)

Guys like Randy Moss and Steve McNair spent plenty of time at the I-AA level and turned out perfectly fine. I'm not saying that means Barden will as well, but I do not buy into the discount issue. You have to produce against the competition in front of you and nothing more. Barden did that.

The real issue would be what I've consistently seen lately, which is that he lacked concentration and seemed to get bored due to the lower level of competition. It's not surprising, given how productive he became, but it's still something to keep in mind. Is he in fact able to "turn it on" against the higher level of competition coming up in the NFL?

Another issue is his route running. This is a guess more than anything, but I wonder how much of that is due to coming from a small school? It wouldn't surprise me that the coaching staff might not be quite at the level of the big time programs, and a player's skills might suffer. Any thoughts on that?

The result of all that is that his route running leaves a little something to be desired. According to the folks at Scouts Inc, he particularly needs to work on getting in and out of breaks in routes. Coaching can improve that, but I'd imagine there would need to be some need for discipline on the part of the player. I mentioned the concentration issue, but that could have just as much to do with the competition level.

Looking Forward

So what does all this mean for his NFL career? If he was getting promoted as a potential first round pick, he'd be qualified as a high risk/high return type of player. If he doesn't go until the 3rd round or later, suddenly that risk isn't so high. As the saying goes, you can't teach 6'6. That kind of size, combined with relatively low financial risk means plenty of second chances if Barden doesn't make an impact right away.

Any prediction I make would be a mere guess. I want to think he will succeed due to his size, but we don't enough about what's going on in his head at this point. Maybe he'll be a hard worker who learns to properly run routes. Or, maybe he's out of the league in 3 years. Who knows. Any thoughts on indicators of success for small school wide receivers?

---------------------------------------------

[2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:]

person

Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly

Barden enrolled at Cal Poly in 2004, but did not play that season because of his redshirt status. He then started all of the team's thirteen games in 2005, accounted for 655 yards on 40 receptions (16.4 average) and nine TD. Again, he started on all of Cal's games (11) in 2006, grabbing 42 passes for 824 yards(19.6) and five TD. Barden had a breakout 2007 campaign catching 57 passes for 1,467 yards with an impressive 25.7 average. He also scored a personal best 18 TD, earning him all Great West Football Conference honors following each of his first three seasons. Following his spectacular 2007 campaign, Barden was named to the FCS All American First Team.

A big receiver who knows how to use his body, Barden is more quick than fast (4.55). But, Barden has a knack for getting open behind defenders, being able to gain yards after the catch. He is a physical wide out who is not afraid to block. However, he is not a fluid athlete, his route running needs much work and he needs to control his weight. He has become "lazy" on the field, so his level of competition is a major concern as are his suspect hands.

Barden is somewhat viewed as a sleeper. He does have some good traits, but he is far from a finished product. He needs better conditioning and his route running needs tons of work. Barden will also drop some balls, which is always a concern. Some Draft boards have Barden going on the first day, but I think he is a reach even in the fifth round.

I've been reading a lot of stuff on this guy and the thing I'm taking from it is that Barden can totally dominate a game and basically destroy opposing teams. Plus his 40 time was faster than Plax's. ;) I cant wait to see this guy in the redzone.

Well all I will say is we have a young WR core that could develope into something great.

Nicks, Barden and Smith at slot.

Nicks, Smith and Barden at slot.

The possibilities are out there for it anyways.

Im thinking Barden, Nicks and Smith at slot.

Im thinking Barden, Nicks and Smith at slot.

Yeah it just might come to that Barden looks like he should take acouple years to develope, so I think Nicks will get that start the next couple seasons as the #1. See what happens in acouple years, if Barden is playing well I see him pushing Smith back down to slot then maybe pushing Nicks out if the coaches feel that he is better as the #1.

Anyways what I'm just saying is this core is going to be interesting to watch and see how they develope.

Yeah it just might come to that Barden looks like he should take acouple years to develope, so I think Nicks will get that start the next couple seasons as the #1. See what happens in acouple years, if Barden is playing well I see him pushing Smith back down to slot then maybe pushing Nicks out if the coaches feel that he is better as the #1.

Anyways what I'm just saying is this core is going to be interesting to watch and see how they develope.

True, any mix of the 3 could be interesting. And thats if Hixon and manningham arent something good. I still believe Hixon has the ability to be a #1, give him a full yr. Idk, thats just me.

True, any mix of the 3 could be interesting. And thats if Hixon and manningham arent something good. I still believe Hixon has the ability to be a #1, give him a full yr. Idk, thats just me.

You know I think Hixon would be great as a slot up against 3rd or 4th string CBs. He has great speed and separation to get off of them on shots down the field. I just dont think he has everything else to be suited for a #1 position just yet and with the drafting of Nicks I doubt the coaches feel good with Hixon as a #1. I say we devote Hixon to nothing but punt/kick returns this year, make it something to fear.

You know I think Hixon would be great as a slot up against 3rd or 4th string CBs. He has great speed and separation to get off of them on shots down the field. I just dont think he has everything else to be suited for a #1 position just yet and with the drafting of Nicks I doubt the coaches feel good with Hixon as a #1. I say we devote Hixon to nothing but punt/kick returns this year, make it something to fear.

Thats a great idea. I do like the possibility of Nicks or Barden ending up as the #1, and to have Hixon for depth and a special teams stud? Fuggedaboudit!

I think Hixon is a lot more comfortable as a no. 2 or 3 receiver. Being tabbed "number 1" is a lot of pressure. I think either Barden or Nicks would relish the pressure, but I don't think Hixon relishes the position. He's very, very good when one-on-one and not the focus of the offense.

The best thing about this pick and our newly-crowded WR roster is that we can finally cut Moss loose! Awesome work Reese!

Exactly....Moss/Loss must go....do not even keep him around as camp fodder. The guy should go to the arena league and spare us all (including himself) from having to watch his non-existent pro level football skills.

The best thing about this pick and our newly-crowded WR roster is that we can finally cut Moss loose! Awesome work Reese!
Bye-Bye to this useless dwarf that never did anything that justified the trade-up to pick him. This was just another piece of shit draft by the former brainless GM. who thank God is gone.

Exactly....Moss/Loss must go....do not even keep him around as camp fodder. The guy should go to the arena league and spare us all (including himself) from having to watch his non-existent pro level football skills.

T- You and I were onto Ramses from the get go. Now it's time to for his people to tell Licorice Moss's people- Let your people go....

Can we see Barden play before we make him #1? He kind of looks like Harold Carmichael to me--which is not a bad thing. Big guy, not exceptionally fast, but pulls a big one down every game because of his reach.

With all these big targets, do we see the return of the seam pass?

Can we see Barden play before we make him #1? He kind of looks like Harold Carmichael to me--which is not a bad thing. Big guy, not exceptionally fast, but pulls a big one down every game because of his reach.

He's from Cal Poly SLO, fish- that's Receiver U!

T- You and I were onto Ramses from the get go. Now it's time to for his people to tell Licorice Moss's people- Let your people go....

Where is Rameses....son of the King....Moses is here....Let my people GOOOOO!!! Go down Moses...take you down to Egypt land.....Let MY People Goooooo!!! :lol: Moss/Loss is a wasted roster space....what is the NY franchise for the arena league....I think some of the players came into an Italian restaurant in Nassau County on one of "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares"....I was not impressed. They looked like pro footballers from the 80's.

Oh yeah....the Bavaro Special... :)

• 2 weeks later...
I think Hixon is a lot more comfortable as a no. 2 or 3 receiver. Being tabbed "number 1" is a lot of pressure. I think either Barden or Nicks would relish the pressure, but I don't think Hixon relishes the position. He's very, very good when one-on-one and not the focus of the offense.

That's quite the conjecture. How did you ever arrive at that conclusion about three people you've never met?