SportsWrath

What is Bob Costas smoking???

The Yankees may have won 26 championships but their former owner is a renowned douchebag and his son looks no different.

Meanwhile Rooney helpd save the game of football and runs a franchise that is the gold standard of the NFL.

The Yankees may have won 26 championships but their former owner is a renowned douchebag and his son looks no different.

Meanwhile Rooney helpd save the game of football and runs a franchise that is the gold standard of the NFL.

Yeah?..............Well their fans still suck. THERE!!!!!!! :P

I thought the Maras were the driving force behind revenue sharing?

I'm not completely sure of how it went down but I know Rooney contributed. Mara did the bulk of the work but I'm pretty sure Rooney helped out a lot.

I'm not completely sure of how it went down but I know Rooney contributed. Mara did the bulk of the work but I'm pretty sure Rooney helped out a lot.

I know Rooney helped but to say Rooney saved football while discounting Mara's impact..dude what kind of Giants fan are you? At least give credit where credit is due. The Mara's could dominate football based on the Steinbrenner model if it were not for their desire for the sport to succeed.

I know Rooney helped but to say Rooney saved football while discounting Mara's impact..dude what kind of Giants fan are you? At least give credit where credit is due. The Mara's could dominate football based on the Steinbrenner model if it were not for their desire for the sport to succeed.

Which in this day, the sport is in NO danger, so once the cap is gone, the Mara's should go on a spending spree. :TU:

Which in this day, the sport is in NO danger, so once the cap is gone, the Mara's should go on a spending spree. :TU:

Not a chance. I have a sad feeling the Mara's will be tight-wads. I don't know why.. guess it might have something to do with how they threw away millions in revenue sharing to keep the league viable..but I just think they would rather field an average team to keep the league competitive than burn money coming up with a consistent championship level team.

gateb,

The reason why the Rooneys were so involved is because the were on the verge of going bankrupt. That's what made the Mara's so special. The Giants were one of the few, if not the most profitable NFL team at that time. And still, with the most to lose, he was able to lead the other owners by example.

Mara, Rooney, the Bears owner and I think the owner of the Eagles were the main guys for that gig. But the Mara's gave the most as their being a NY franchise had the most to lose. Can you imagine the number of Championships the Giants would have had if they followed the Yankees "fuck em" model as opposed the Mara's well known habit of falling on their swords for the good of the league.

They should take a truck load of legal binders and sit at Steinbrenner's knee and take copious notes. "First lesson Misters Mara, Tisch and Reese is that its all about you....FUCK THE LEAGUE. NY is the number one market money wise followed by the West Coast cities....Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, Dallas, etc. can suck me. Next lesson is to abolish the cap which is an artificial barrier against NY dominance. Fuck its the American way...if I have 20 million to give to a guy and the Tinsels, Broke Backs, Cheatriots and/or Egals only have 10 million then that is their fucking problem. Nine times out of ten you will get your man, unless he is some creep with an attachment to a small market...are you listening closely gentlemen?"

Not a chance. I have a sad feeling the Mara's will be tight-wads. I don't know why.. guess it might have something to do with how they threw away millions in revenue sharing to keep the league viable..but I just think they would rather field an average team to keep the league competitive than burn money coming up with a consistent championship level team.

God I hope not. :brooding: Just looking as baseball as a reference their Texas and Pittsburgh based franchises have done nothing in decades other than lose money. Given a choice of playing for the Yankees or Mets...those teams don't have a chance on sheer star power alone. If the cap goes....the Giants better morph into footballs version of the Yankees in a heart beat if they know what's good for them. No one cares anymore about how the Giants saved the league. So why should we?

I don't mind the steelers. Their a blue collar team and you typically don't hear much from them as opposed to teams like the Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, etc... I have always thought the same about the Redskins too. You will never see my hatred for the Redskins come close to that of the Eagles and Cowboys because they go about their business and don't have the loudmouthed players and owners typical of teams like the Cowboys and Eagles.

Did I discredit the Mara's? All I said Rooney HELPED save the game of football.

What am I missing here?

Did I discredit the Mara's? All I said Rooney HELPED save the game of football.

What am I missing here?

you missed Sportswrath Culture Rule #45704- paragraph 5 which clearly states:

-a compliment for any non giant organization is seen as a sleight to the giants.

Just because you don't like him personaly (or his facial features :P) doesn't mean the Steinbrenners don't run their business well.

He just said the Steelers are the model franchise in ALL of American sports? Why? For winning 6 titles? Last I checked the Yankees have 26. That's right, 20 more than the Steelers.

YOu lost a lot of credibility with me Costas.

the steelers do not have to spend $250 million dollars to do it.

the steelers do not have to spend $250 million dollars to do it.

When did the Yankees spend 250 Million to win a world series? Boston is the team with the largest payroll to ever win the world series. The Steelers spent 127 Million to win this one.

When did the Yankees spend 250 Million to win a world series? Boston is the team with the largest payroll to ever win the world series. The Steelers spent 127 Million to win this one.

In football there is a salary cap...you can't spend over it, but also you have to spend a certain amount, in other words you can't be cheap bastards.

You are right

New York Yankees

Year Median salary Total Payroll

2008 $ 1,875,000 $ 209,081,577

2007 $ 1,500,000 $ 189,639,045

2006 $ 2,925,000 $ 194,663,079

2005 $ 5,833,334 $ 208,306,817

2004 $ 3,100,000 $ 184,193,950

2003 $ 4,575,000 $ 152,749,814

2002 $ 2,500,000 $ 125,928,583

2001 $ 1,600,000 $ 112,287,143

Since they have gone over $100 mil they haven't won a world series...makes you wonder why they do it.