SportsWrath

What was it about Spags?

Sephiroth

You know, it's funny... I'm not sure if it was the fact that Tim Lewis sucked so much ass while he was here... or if it was the Eagles connection or just intuition, but we were ALL excited when Spags came to the Giants two seasons ago.

Somehow, we all knew he was gonna be a top-notch DC. After the first minicamp, players were already raving about the guy. All of us jumped on the bandwagon and suddenly... the 8-8 Giants had hope. We were going to have an innovative, attacking defense that would actually make use of all the D-linemen and "tweener" backers we had drafted that Lewis had misused.

Those first two games sucked... and some of us were off the bandwagon... but by midseason, it was obvious we had something special going on. Spags made stars out of guys like Corey Webster, Justin Tuck, and Fred Robbins... high picks that hadn't really ever panned out, and it brought us all the way to the Super Bowl. None of us are kidding ourselves; for all of Eli's heroics, it was the D-line putting Tom Brady on his ass two dozen times that won the game for us.

Well, it was a fun ride. I wish him good luck, but he's REALLY going to be missed here in NY. :bye:

Well it was the fact that Lewis put alot of pressure on our backfield to preform. We only rushed the DL most of the time and it war rare to see a blitz out of Lewis's play calling. This put alot of pressure on our really weak backfield at the time.

When we got Spags and him coming over from the Eagles most of us knew he would be able to come up with blitz packages and get even more pressure on the QB. It took pressure off our backfield and put it on the front seven to preform and they did during the SB run.

He will be missed and he was one of the main reasons we won the SB, however I hope whoever steps in realizes we cant go back to a Lewis "Rush four everyone else in Pass pro" type system. We are a pressure D and we need to stay it.

You know, it's funny... I'm not sure if it was the fact that Tim Lewis sucked so much ass while he was here... or if it was the Eagles connection or just intuition, but we were ALL excited when Spags came to the Giants two seasons ago.

Somehow, we all knew he was gonna be a top-notch DC. After the first minicamp, players were already raving about the guy. All of us jumped on the bandwagon and suddenly... the 8-8 Giants had hope. We were going to have an innovative, attacking defense that would actually make use of all the D-linemen and "tweener" backers we had drafted that Lewis had misused.

Those first two games sucked... and some of us were off the bandwagon... but by midseason, it was obvious we had something special going on. Spags made stars out of guys like Corey Webster, Justin Tuck, and Fred Robbins... high picks that hadn't really ever panned out, and it brought us all the way to the Super Bowl. None of us are kidding ourselves; for all of Eli's heroics, it was the D-line putting Tom Brady on his ass two dozen times that won the game for us.

Well, it was a fun ride. I wish him good luck, but he's REALLY going to be missed here in NY. :bye:

We'll be fine. I wish Spags had stayed on for a couple more years, but that's the way it goes. We still have the talent on the field and I'm fully expecting if anything a small hickup. Keep in mind he was only here 2 years which in a way pisses me off. Sorta like thanks Steve, see ya.

Hell, if you want, you can say he coached sub-par in the end of this season. He didnt come up with schemes to get to the passer, no pressure, ect. Maybe he was already dreaming of sitting behind the big desk??? Anyway, I wish him luck and thank him for the title.

We'll be fine. I wish Spags had stayed on for a couple more years, but that's the way it goes. We still have the talent on the field and I'm fully expecting if anything a small hickup. Keep in mind he was only here 2 years which in a way pisses me off. Sorta like thanks Steve, see ya.

Hell, if you want, you can say he coached sub-par in the end of this season. He didnt come up with schemes to get to the passer, no pressure, ect. Maybe he was already dreaming of sitting behind the big desk??? Anyway, I wish him luck and thank him for the title.

Thats what they said in "91". We werent fine. Not by a long shot. And we didnt have a QB sucking up half the cap space either.

Thats what they said in "91". We werent fine. Not by a long shot. And we didnt have a QB sucking up half the cap space either.

Really? Because in '91 the Giants had a new HEAD COACH. Not a new DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

You want to do us a favor, stick to posting in the P&R section. Thanks.

I think it was that Tim Lewis sucked that bad. I don't recall being that excited when Spags came over--I was more like "who?"

I was just hoping that the new guy wouldn't take our best pass rushers and put them in pass protection during 3rd and long. That alone has probably won us a boatload of games.

When you think about it, Spags didn't make any changes to the staff, and didn't even completely replace our defense. He did most of his work on the players, and in play calling. Obviously, that's not a mock on the guy, he did turn things around, but I'm not so sure that translates to a head coach.

We lost a lot more than one DC back then. More like the coordinators for offense, defense, and special teams, a receivers coach, and replaced them with a tribute to incompetency.

Spags did his best coaching job last year during the playoffs when we were beating teams on defense with guys off the practice squad. He deserves a boatload of credit for that. Plus it would have been awful easy this year to go with guys like Sam Madison/ McQuarters/ McDougle, instead of using relative unknowns like Tollefson/ Dockery and Terrell Thomas who has shown signs he could be special.

Spags did his best coaching job last year during the playoffs when we were beating teams on defense with guys off the practice squad. He deserves a boatload of credit for that. Plus it would have been awful easy this year to go with guys like Sam Madison/ McQuarters/ McDougle, instead of using relative unknowns like Tollefson/ Dockery and Terrell Thomas who has shown signs he could be special.

Please don't confuse what I said with implying he was a bad coach. Far from it. He clearly diagnosed and repaired the problems with our defense. Can't really ask for more than that.

Spags had an attacking scheme that placed an emphasis on tight man coverage.

Sam Madison has always been a great man-cover guy, and that was the rep for both Corey Webster and Aaron Ross in their college days.

The "Spags Magic" can be boiled down as follows, IMO:

1-Creative defensive coordinator that was not afraid to trust his players and attack the offense.

2-Players who fit the scheme of the coordinator.

3-GM who went out and got the players that the coordinator needed.

Hopefully, we promote from within, keep the system, and find ourselves a stud LB in the 1st round. The only way I'd be happy with anything other than a stud SEC or Pac-10 Linebacker is if Crabtree was still available, and we all know unless there is some razzle-dazzle by Reese, he won't drop fall enough for us to get him.

What the fuck is with you guys all going after JayD?. What am I missing here?

Thanks Boo. Im admit though, Im still pretty pissed at our poor showing against the eagles, and I think my posts are reflecting that still. Im glad he hired in house though, maybe Eli taking half our cap space wont hurt to much for a couple years. :rolleyes:

Please don't confuse what I said with implying he was a bad coach. Far from it. He clearly diagnosed and repaired the problems with our defense. Can't really ask for more than that.

Fish, that was just my thought, never even considered refuting what you said. I think overall Spags did a good job here and sometimes he was great, but there have been patches of "very ordinary".

I think he'll do good out their, it's a real uphill battle, but it can only go up for the Rams.