SportsWrath

Yankees preparing offer for Burnett now

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

I really didn't want this guy. $80 mil for a pip squeak in a sling? Don't want him. I'd rather have Sheets or Lowe....

From rotoworld:

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick says the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a five-year contract.

This comes after reports earlier in the day that the Braves also guaranteed a fifth year, though at least one source has said that's not true. It does look like Burnett will end up getting at least $80 million for five years. Dec. 10 - 6:57 pm et

honestly, I like sheets, but aj has incredible stuff, better than sheets. and was one of the ten best pitchers in baseball last season if you adjust defense and park factors. like golf said, theyre both injury prone, but the yankees need pitching and this guy is the second best of the FA's with experience in the al east.....and a rotation of CC, Hang out with your Wang out, Burnett, Joba and Pettite or Lowe or Garland or who the fuck cares, will send shivers down the spines of opposing offenses...thats 4 guys who consistantly hit hit 95+ with filthy breaking balls(expect for wang, he just has ridiculous movement on a sinking heater)

The yankees just have to hope they all stay healthy...well, if one goes down, Phil Franchise can come in...and if people are dumb enough to believe that Phil is abust, then theyre retarded. He is barely 22 years old and was injured, come 2010, he will amongst the best pitchers in baseball..I guarantee that. He was a monster for AAA in the playoffs last season and got off to a rough start in the AFL due to working on new things, but finished off making minced meat out of the hitters in the AFL...his last 2 starts.......12 IP 4H 0 ER 3BB 19K's. He is the real deal....no to mention Brackman has the potential to skyrocket through the system ala Joba. He is now well over a year since having tj and pitched OK in the Hawaiin league....but his heater was sitting at 95-99 so all signs point to him having a big season in the minors. And they also hav Aceves who pitched well for the yanks in september...the yankees pitching is going to be very good next year barring injury and even then, they have some excellent depth. All the need to do is add another bat and theyre be back in the playoffs

you should just trade for peavy. seriously, at 4 years 52 mil he's the best bargain in baseball not counting those who don't have 6 years of service

Doesn't he have a no-trade clause so he controls where he goes?

And what do the Yanks trade for him?

Doesn't he have a no-trade clause so he controls where he goes?

And what do the Yanks trade for him?

he does but supposedly he was down with going to the yankees.

as for what they would give him? I dont know, towers is a hard ass and phil hughes just doesn't cut it anymore as trade bait

Guest StrahansGap

Peavy has stated on several occasions that he doesn't care for New York and would also prefer to stay in the NL. I would rather have him too over the others but I think he's alot more adamant about not coming to NY than ANY of the available guys out there

I really didn't want this guy. $80 mil for a pip squeak in a sling? Don't want him. I'd rather have Sheets or Lowe....

From rotoworld:

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick says the Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett a five-year contract.

This comes after reports earlier in the day that the Braves also guaranteed a fifth year, though at least one source has said that's not true. It does look like Burnett will end up getting at least $80 million for five years. Dec. 10 - 6:57 pm et

Didn't you say in another thread that the Bronx was back because the Yanks were going to sign Burnett and Lowe along with Sabathia?

You don't want Sheets. He's not going to ever pitch a full season.

i'd rather have burnett than sheets simply because he's AL tested and slightly less injury prone than sheets, plus as mentioned earlier has better stuff. still, his best season isn't as good as sheets' best season--if they were both consistently healthy i think sheets is the better pitcher

... and phil hughes just doesn't cut it anymore as trade bait

:( Really, though, I hope you're right and we keep him. I know there's a star in there some place. I can feel it. Maybe after he fills out a little and puts some meat on those bones.

:( Really, though, I hope you're right and we keep him. I know there's a star in there some place. I can feel it. Maybe after he fills out a little and puts some meat on those bones.

dude, he is the real deal...only a moron would give up on a 22 year old with his upside and minor league track record...not to mention he has no real injury history other than freak things like a pulled hammy and a broken rib and twisted ankle...THERE WAS NEVER ANYTHING WRONG WITH HIS ARM. He's had a string of bad luck, he is not injury prone. Here is a scouts quote on him in the AFL

"He was dominant and he should be. He was hitting 94 with every fastball. People think he has lost his luster, theyre crazy. He would be the number 1 starter on a lot of teams right now"

"He was dominant and he should be. He was hitting 94 with every fastball. People think he has lost his luster, theyre crazy. He would be the number 1 starter on a lot of teams right now"

That's the thing. Last year he hit 90 or 91 tops, and with no movement. That kinda tells me he's afraid he's going to pull something if he lets it all hang out.

That's the thing. Last year he hit 90 or 91 tops, and with no movement. That kinda tells me he's afraid he's going to pull something if he lets it all hang out.

he was doing that because he had a broken rib...in September, he was sitting at 93 and he was touching 95 in the AAA playoffs...he's fine. Like I said, if he had a history of arm injuries, Id be worried, but the fact is, Phil Hughes has never had any arm problems. He'll be fine

the yanks are def better off keeping hughes. his value is lower right now than it will probably ever be

thats just the medias perception, most scouts still drool over him. I agree, the yankees should not trade him. If they werent going to trade him for santana, they he shouldnt be traded for anyone. He lives and dies with the yankees

im still a believer in hughes too, but after an injury-filled season his value is still lower than it was a year ago when he was a year younger and before the injuries. doens't mean he has no value but i expect him to bounce back this year and have more value than he does right now

Hughes looked very good in that last start he had this year after coming back up (vs. Toronto, I believe). I heard he got off to a rough start in the AFL, but it looked like his numbers there were very good in the end.

Just waiting now for the Yanks to throw 250 mil at Texeira, as I know they will.

Hughes looked very good in that last start he had this year after coming back up (vs. Toronto, I believe). I heard he got off to a rough start in the AFL, but it looked like his numbers there were very good in the end.

Just waiting now for the Yanks to throw 250 mil at Texeira, as I know they will.

yeah, he did get off to a rough start in the AFL, he was working on a slider and his change up...his slider was what batters were teeing off on, after a while he just scrapped the slider and wen with 3 pitche, FB, CB and CU...then he dominated. he he didnt throw sliders ealry on in the AFL, his eRA would have been well under 1. He is the real deal. I cant believe how dumb some people can be, how do you just write off a 21 year old as a bust after he was hurt and struggled? morons

I think he'd go for 180 mil. It would be the better investment the Yankees are going to make.