SportsWrath

Win and were In

Balloonknot

Just noticed something...

If we win this weekend against Philly we win the NFC east.

it would put us at 12-1 the worst possible record we could have would be 12-4 and 5-1 in the division. The cowboys have an 8-4 record currently if they win out it put's them at 12-4 also but they have 2 losses in the division already. so their division record would be 4-2. Hence by tie breakers we win the division..

SWEET!

Just noticed something...

If we win this weekend against Philly we win the NFC east.

it would put us at 12-1 the worst possible record we could have would be 12-4 and 5-1 in the division. The cowboys have an 8-4 record currently if they win out it put's them at 12-4 also but they have 2 losses in the division already. so their division record would be 4-2. Hence by tie breakers we win the division..

SWEET!

I believe we're in if we lose and Dallas loses also, and there's a scenario where we can actually get the first round bye this weekend also.

New York Giants (11-1)

# The Giants can clinch the NFC East division title with: (1) a win, or (2) a tie and a Cowboys loss or tie, or (3) a Cowboys loss.

# The Giants can clinch a first-round bye with: (1) a win, or (2) a tie and a Cowboys loss or tie, or (3) a Cowboys loss, plus a Minnesota loss or tie, plus a Cardinals loss or tie.

# The Giants can clinch a playoff spot with: (1) a tie, plus a Falcons loss, or (2) a tie, plus a Falcons tie, plus a Buccaneers loss.

Win and auto first round bye

But at this point, I'm greedy - anything less than #1 seed is unacceptable. Though not a mathematical certainty, in all probability, just winning the Carolina game, even if we lost the other three, would do that (Carolina, Tampa & Atlanta all play each other and none of them will run the table). Go 2-2, including a win over Carolina and we'll have the week off and all roads to the Super Bowl run though Giant Stadium.

Maybe it's the ghosts of the past triggering reflexive thinking but I still worry about the Cowboys more than anyone else. Poorly coached as they are and operating in circus-like conditions has slowed the jelling process but there's so much talent there, they can't help but come around eventually......and it's looking to me like "eventually" has arrived. Not saying we can't beat them, especially in our place in January, but they clearly have the most upside of any potential opponent in the NFC

For all intents and purposes we're already in. 11 wins will get a wildcard for sure.

Besides, there's no way in hell Dallas will win out.

Just for laughs I'd like to see the scenarios required for the Giants not to make the playoffs. I bet it would need a supercomputer to figure out.

Just for laughs I'd like to see the scenarios required for the Giants not to make the playoffs. I bet it would need a supercomputer to figure out.

No you wouldnt. Actually, it would be pretty easy. Let me show you.

Hell freezing over=Giants not making playoffs.

:P

really not...although it is quite the long shot, if the giants lose out (11-5), the cowboys win out (12-4), the Bucs win their division, the Panthers reach 11 wins, the Cardinals win/won their division, the vikings win their division, and the falcons reach 12 wins, then the giants are out...again, the dog would never predict this, but a supercomputer really isn't necessary...

really not...although it is quite the long shot, if the giants lose out (11-5), the cowboys win out (12-4), the Bucs win their division, the Panthers reach 11 wins, the Cardinals win/won their division, the vikings win their division, and the falcons reach 12 wins, then the giants are out...again, the dog would never predict this, but a supercomputer really isn't necessary...

I think thats wrong. In that scenario the Panthers would be out, due to conference records and div records.

I think thats wrong. In that scenario the Panthers would be out, due to conference records and div records.

the dog would point out that if the giants lose out, that means they lose to the panthers, which makes them both 11-5, with the panthers getting the head-to-head...

the dog would point out that if the giants lose out, that means they lose to the panthers, which makes them both 11-5, with the panthers getting the head-to-head...

I thought conf and div records came before head to head in tie breakers?

hmmm...excellent question...if that is the case, the dog would be disturbed by that...

Really? Thats the way it should be. You battle your division 1st and foremost, then your conference for playoff seating. So I would think that would be judged before going to head to head matchups, scoring, strength of schedule, etc.

Really? Thats the way it should be. You battle your division 1st and foremost, then your conference for playoff seating. So I would think that would be judged before going to head to head matchups, scoring, strength of schedule, etc.

the dog would have to disagree...then it becomes like the BCS fiasco, where you can have the same record as a team that you beat, and have to sit it out due to other factors...settle it head to head. why should a team get punished and be kept out of the playoffs if hypothetically, they play in a harder division then the team they beat with the same record? doesn't make sense to the dog at all...

the dog would have to disagree...then it becomes like the BCS fiasco, where you can have the same record as a team that you beat, and have to sit it out due to other factors...settle it head to head. why should a team get punished and be kept out of the playoffs if hypothetically, they play in a harder division then the team they beat with the same record? doesn't make sense to the dog at all...

The BCS mess is far worse than just that. If it is head to head, I wouldnt be upset, I just think thats not how its played out. But I could be wrong. But I think either scenario would work. If youre battling NFC opponents for playoff position, then your NFC record should matter more than just one game.

I just looked it up. You guys are right. Im actually surprised at the way they do it.

1. Head-to-Head

2. Division Record

3. Common Games

4. Conference Record

5. Strength of Victory

6. Strength of Schedule

7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)

8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)

9. Net Points (common games)

10. Net Points (all games)

11. Net Touchdowns (all games

It's actually alot more complicated than that:

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

The division champion with the best record.

The division champion with the second-best record.

The division champion with the third-best record.

The division champion with the fourth-best record.

The Wild Card club with the best record.

The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best net points in conference games.

Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best net points in conference games.

Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

DETERMINING HOME-FIELD PRIORITY

To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.

Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie moves down in drafting priority within its tied segment as follows:

For a loss inthe Wild-Card playoffs, a plus factor of one-half.

For participation, win or lose, in the Divisional Playoffs, a plus factor of one.

For a loss in the conference championship Game, a plus factor of one.

Clubs with the best won-lost-tied records after these steps are applied will drop to their appropriate spots at the bottom of the tied segment. In no case will the above process move a club lower than the segmentin which it was initially tied.

Tied clubs will alternate priority throughout the 7 rounds of the draft. In case of a tie involving three or more teams, the club with priority in the first round will drop to the bottom of the tied segment in the second round and move its way back to the top of the segment in each succeeding round.

If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

Link

I just looked it up. You guys are right. Im actually surprised at the way they do it.

1. Head-to-Head

2. Division Record

3. Common Games

4. Conference Record

5. Strength of Victory

6. Strength of Schedule

7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)

8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)

9. Net Points (common games)

10. Net Points (all games)

11. Net Touchdowns (all games

the dog can't figure out why this would be a surprise...if you finish with the same record as a team that you beat, you should get in ahead of them...