SportsWrath

Burress sits out of practice

Dragon

Strained Hamstring

Strained hammy keeps Giants' Burress out of practice; Jacobs, Ross limited

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress missed practice Thursday because of a hamstring injury.

Coach Tom Coughlin was short in discussing Burress' injury, saying time would tell whether Burress plays Sunday against the Cardinals in Arizona.

Asked when Burress was injured, Coughlin said: "Just now. Overnight and into today."

Burress has 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns, but his receptions have declined steadily since catching 15 passes in the first two games. He has caught no more than three passes in the last five games, grabbing a total of 13 for 137 yards and two TDs in that span.

In his defense, almost every team the Giants have played in recent weeks has given him double coverage, with a safety helping out over the top.

Burress has had a couple of problems this season. He was suspended for the game against Seattle on Oct. 5 for missing a team meeting, and he was fined $45,000 by the league for abusing an official after being called for offensive pass interference against San Francisco on Oct. 19.

Halfback Brandon Jacobs (knee) and cornerback Aaron Ross (hamstring) returned to practice on a limited basis, while linebacker Gerris Wilkinson, who injured a knee against Cleveland on Oct. 13, practiced without limitations.

Jacobs is confident he will play Sunday.

"It went pretty good," said Jacobs, who hurt his left knee on Sunday against Baltimore. "I was running hard. I made some cuts I thought were going to be difficult and they ended up being OK. I feel good, no pain. As far as I'm concerned, I'm on track to go out and get it done."

Backup safety Sammy Knight (hip) and defensive end Jerome McDougle (knee) also missed practice on Thursday.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

hmmmm.. a hamstring injury? out of the blue? When the guy has been playing mediocre at best?

There's only one reason I can think of.. the guy is not staying in shape... no conditioning...

There's no basis for that. - Its football, people get hurt sometimes. Plax faces double teams on almost every play - thus the mediocre #s.

Plax is also competing for the ball against the best rushing offense in the NFL. All of our receivers' numbers are down, as are Eli's.

on the bright side, Eli is doing a good job of spreading the ball around and making plays on third down

on the bright side, Eli is doing a good job of spreading the ball around and making plays on third down

I think thats also why we see a decline in WR numbers. I mean the previous years Eli's main targets were Plax, Toomer, Tiki and Shockey. Now he has Plax, Toomer, Smith, Hixon, Moss, Manningham, Boss, Matthews, Ward, Jacobs and even Bradshaw. He has alot more weapons to spread the ball out too not to mention the fact that we are running the ball with ease against everyone we have faced.

don't all injuries happen that way?

For the average Joe, yes... for an athlete, I don't think so. I know some of you believe he was really injured last year... I happened to believe he was either faking it or exaggerating its severity... you don't just limp Monday thru Saturday and play lights out on Sundays... when you feel like it. Besides, ankle injuries usually hurt when you're not warmed up... I can walk onto the field limping and after a few reps I don't even feel the pain... till after the game.

When it comes to hamstring injuries, it has much to do with lack of conditioning or over-use. I've had 3 of those.. all 3 were because I was running like a mad man.. and sooner or later my hamstring had to give in... and that's because when we play, we play both sides of the ball and special teams.. so your body never gets a break like you'd get during an NFL game. In essence Plax over-using his hammy is out of the picture.. which leaves me with lack of conditioning... and he looks it.

I love all this speculation from Dr. Nas.

It has nothing to do with being a doctor so much.. it's more about being an athlete. You don anything long enough, you learn so much about the human body. I'll admit I either have high tolerance for pain or adrenaline takes over so that I don't feel anything during the game...

the point is, you can't tell me you're injured but you play just fine on Sundays. Sounds to me like someone hates practice..that's all.

It has nothing to do with being a doctor so much.. it's more about being an athlete. You don anything long enough, you learn so much about the human body. I'll admit I either have high tolerance for pain or adrenaline takes over so that I don't feel anything during the game...

the point is, you can't tell me you're injured but you play just fine on Sundays. Sounds to me like someone hates practice..that's all.

ever hear of a cortizone injection ?

Have you ever TORN a ligament Nas? Ever had a doctor shoot you up with cortizone? Plax has. It wasn't just a sprain, so please stop with this bullshit, okay?

Have you ever TORN a ligament Nas? Ever had a doctor shoot you up with cortizone? Plax has. It wasn't just a sprain, so please stop with this bullshit, okay?

Why should I stop stating what I believe? Because some of you disagree?