SportsWrath

Plaxico is one fine man

Lughead

Giants' Burress fined 40-50 times before suspension

by Jay Glazer

The Giants' suspension of their star wide receiver Plaxico Burress may have seemed excessive to some, but it turns out the latest punishment is only the latest in an incredibly long line of fines the Giants' wideout has accumulated.

FOX Sports has learned that during his tenure with the Giants, Burress has been fined by the team between 40 and 50 times, a stunning number considering he's played just 50 games with the Big Blue.

"He's been fined for missing treatment, meetings, showing up late ... there's probably been 10 times this year alone," said one source.

According to several team sources, Burress has not seemed overly affected by being hit in the wallet this often. What did affect him, however, was the Giants preventing Burress from playing in the next game.

"That really bothered him," said another source who requested anonymity. "He doesn't care about the fines but if you don't let him play ... that's all he cares about. He just wants to play football. He pretty much put Jerry Reese and Coach in a bad spot on this one. It had to stop and just fining him again wasn't going to do it."

Burress contends that he missed Monday but Tuesday was an off day and thus, how could he be fined for missing two days of work when one was an off day? However, he did not contest the unexcused Monday.

Burress missed Monday's meeting and failed to return several phone calls to the Giants, although he claims he talked with Charles Way, the Giants' Director of Player Development, that same day. The Giants claim there were several other calls that when unanswered.

When Coughlin told Burress about missing the game, other Giants players told FOX Sports that Burress argued his point. When he realized he couldn't get out of missing the game, he pretty much turned and walked out on the meeting, clearly angered with the decision.

Burress and Coughlin have long had a relationship that could best be described as somewhat contentious. Burress is the one player within the locker room who never seemed to fear his head coach and has gone as far as tuning him out on some occasions.

After one season-ending game, Coughlin asked Burress to join his teammates in the center of the locker room. The star wideout ignored the coach's request and stayed at his locker. Players say there have been other times when Burress has at times turned and walked away from his coach when Couhglin was getting into him about something.

There is some trepidation about what will happen the next time Burress commits a rule violation. The team needs him, Eli Manning needs him and the offense needs him, but obviously they are trying to lay down the law more strictly.

Fucking Tiki..how is he still getting in the locker room?

Or maybe it was Shockey....quick someone get the Hardy Boys to solve this.

Fox sports has "Learned"

"another source who requested anonymity"

OHHHHH looky there Mr. Strahan works for Fox Sports..... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I thought this guy was turning it around last year, weren't there players and such saying that since Plax has become a father he is much more of a responsible person?

I mean I really hope most of these fines are just stupid things and it's nothing serious, I would like to see the guy retire as a Giant. If not I guess we will be looking for a new WR in the first....which I'd rather not do.

I thought this guy was turning it around last year, weren't there players and such saying that since Plax has become a father he is much more of a responsible person?

I mean I really hope most of these fines are just stupid things and it's nothing serious, I would like to see the guy retire as a Giant. If not I guess we will be looking for a new WR in the first....which I'd rather not do.

Brandon London? :P

Why would they sign Plax to an extension if they knew there were many problems?

That's why I don't buy it. The least the Giants FO has earned over the past year is our trust that they would invest this much money into one guy.

I like the fact that the only way Plax responds is by keeping him from playing, it tells me that he is about wnning instead of money.

I don't agree with that assessment.. I can easily make the argument that he only played to the level he's supposed to be playing so he can negotiate a big contract...

I don't agree with that assessment.. I can easily make the argument that he only played to the level he's supposed to be playing so he can negotiate a big contract...

If he was all about the money then he would have done more to avoid the 40-50 fines he had incurred.