SportsWrath

Anybody remember the "details" of the Shockey trade?

BleedinBlue

I know we got a second rounder for Shockey, but it seems (if I remember rightly) that the pick could go up or down depending on certain circumstances.....for instance, if he plays less than 10 games due to injury, it falls to 3....or something like that.

We have a shitload of draft picks coming this year because of Oakland raiding our roster (hah! "Raiders"...I made a funny)...for which I thank them very much. We get 2 comp picks for losing those guys to the Raiders and "willie jo" was a first rounder for the Giants so I wonder what we'll get. Also, Buffalo snapped up our LB so we get another comp pick.

With so many picks....we should be looking to package a few to put us in a better draft slot.

ANyway, does anyone know the small print details of the Shockey trade? If so....please share.

All I know is, the Giants are supposed to get a 2nd and 5th rounder.. but the Saints also offered the 2nd rounder to the Jets, under condition that he play 75% of all snaps, and play all 16 games of the season. If Vilma does do this.. (I don't know if he is injured or not), then the Giants are compensated the 1st round pick for Saints 2010. Since the Saints promised the 2nd rounder to two different teams, and they are obligated to give it to the Jets.

All I know is, the Giants are supposed to get a 2nd and 5th rounder.. but the Saints also offered the 2nd rounder to the Jets, under condition that he play 75% of all snaps, and play all 16 games of the season. If Vilma does do this.. (I don't know if he is injured or not), then the Giants are compensated the 1st round pick for Saints 2010. Since the Saints promised the 2nd rounder to two different teams, and they are obligated to give it to the Jets.

Complicated :confused:

It still seems that there were some conditions on Shockey (Vilma aside) that could move the pick up or down. I'm going to do some digging and see what I come up with.

what jints said is correct, although another condition is the saints have to sign him to an extension.

and i remember jerry reese saying that itl be easy for the saints to get out of it simply by waiting til after the draft to resign vilma.

and one thing that always confused me was compensatory picks, i like that we are getting some but i disagree with the idea. since they signed those cats in free agency i dont think they should have to give up anything.

are we going to have to give up picks for david carr? or jerome mcdougle? or renaldo wynn?

Our only FA signings were Danny Clark and Sammy Knight, while we lost Wilson, Mitchell, Torbor, all of which signed pretty big deals.

We'll get a couple of later picks.

Hopefully we can trade Moss and get another pick down the road. I hear the Seahawks are interested. Hopefully he has 10 catches then they give us a 2nd rounder :)

what jints said is correct, although another condition is the saints have to sign him to an extension.

and i remember jerry reese saying that itl be easy for the saints to get out of it simply by waiting til after the draft to resign vilma.

and one thing that always confused me was compensatory picks, i like that we are getting some but i disagree with the idea. since they signed those cats in free agency i dont think they should have to give up anything.

are we going to have to give up picks for david carr? or jerome mcdougle? or renaldo wynn?

Compensatory picks are additional picks that can be between a 3rd and 7th rounder. You don't lose any picks for signing other FA players. For instance, we won't lose any picks for signing McDougle, but the Eagles will be rewarded a comp pick for losing him.

The only time you lose picks is if you participate in the Supplemental Draft held later in the summer for those players who decided to go back to school, but found out after the regular draft that they were academically inelligible (and a few other cases in which a player missed the regular draft for some reason). So if you burn a first round pick in the Supplemental Draft in 2008, you lose your first round in the regular draft in 2009.

Regardless, the Giants should be picking up 3 comp picks next year along with New Orlean's 2nd and 5th. With that many picks, the Giants should think about picking up the best kicker in the draft instead of going to the nursing home to bring guys back on the field (just kiddin....I love the old guys)

Compensatory picks are additional picks that can be between a 3rd and 7th rounder. You don't lose any picks for signing other FA players. For instance, we won't lose any picks for signing McDougle, but the Eagles will be rewarded a comp pick for losing him.

The only time you lose picks is if you participate in the Supplemental Draft held later in the summer for those players who decided to go back to school, but found out after the regular draft that they were academically inelligible (and a few other cases in which a player missed the regular draft for some reason). So if you burn a first round pick in the Supplemental Draft in 2008, you lose your first round in the regular draft in 2009.

Regardless, the Giants should be picking up 3 comp picks next year along with New Orlean's 2nd and 5th. With that many picks, the Giants should think about picking up the best kicker in the draft instead of going to the nursing home to bring guys back on the field (just kiddin....I love the old guys)

ahhh i see, the comp picks dont come from another teams picks, they just appear so to speak.

ahhh i see, the comp picks dont come from another teams picks, they just appear so to speak.

The NFL can only give out up to 32 compensation picks - the idea was that teams suffering from players jumping ship could get a chance to start rebuilding quicker. The NFL is committed to "parity" and it's just one more way that they do so.

I know we got a second rounder for Shockey, but it seems (if I remember rightly) that the pick could go up or down depending on certain circumstances.....for instance, if he plays less than 10 games due to injury, it falls to 3....or something like that.

We have a shitload of draft picks coming this year because of Oakland raiding our roster (hah! "Raiders"...I made a funny)...for which I thank them very much. We get 2 comp picks for losing those guys to the Raiders and "willie jo" was a first rounder for the Giants so I wonder what we'll get. Also, Buffalo snapped up our LB so we get another comp pick.

With so many picks....we should be looking to package a few to put us in a better draft slot.

ANyway, does anyone know the small print details of the Shockey trade? If so....please share.

I thought that if the Saints attempted to re retrade him to the Vikings, that the Saints would have to give the G Men their first round picks for the next 3 years....or something like that.

C. Wagon

the Giants should think about picking up the best kicker in the draft instead of going to the nursing home to bring guys back on the field (just kiddin....I love the old guys)

I doubt it unless Tynes' injury is severe. He just signed a multi-year contract so I doubt the Giants are looking to dump him anytime soon.

This is wrong Bleedin. Comp. picks are awarded on a formula which is based on talent in and talent out during the FA period. It's based on playing time, salary and post-season honours witht he new team (salary being the most important). It's not automatically one pick per player lost. If you sign the same number of players that you lost you can still get a pick if the value signed was less than that lost, but only in the 7th round. There's also only 32 picks to go around.

Only players lost to FA count, not cut players like McDougle. I think we'll get one pick but it could be a good one (three big contracts out and two small contracts in). Maybe a 5th?