SportsWrath

FAB 4's risky proposal to the Giants.

Guest Lockhart

Guest Lockhart

Usually the FAB 4 goes for the players that will help right away, and avoids reaching for players as it fails 75% of the time .........but this is different.

Javon Walker has pulled a "Daunte Culpepper" and threatens to retire versus returning to Green Bay. He has one year left on his contract and suffered an ACL injury in 2005. Green Bay has been hesitant to allow him to seek a trade, since they feel they would be lucky to get a 5th round draft choice for him.

The FAB 4 has instructed Accorsi (after waking him up) to initate negotiations with GB using a 4th round draft choice as bait. One would expect Walker not to be 100% in 2006, but he could in 2007. For the Giants to assume any 4th round choice in this year's draft will make much of an impact is dreaming anyway. Of course this trade hinges on Walker and the Giants being able to negotiate a contract before any such trade is made. Floyd wanted to negotiate the trade himself, but was unable to convince the Maras to circumvent Ernie - we can only hope!

Edited by Lockhart

Usually the FAB 4 goes for the players that will help right away, and avoids reaching for players as it fails 75% of the time .........but this is different.

Javon Walker has pulled a "Daunte Culpepper" and threatens to retire versus returning to Green Bay. He has one year left on his contract and suffered an ACL injury in 2005. Green Bay has been hesitant to allow him to seek a trade, since they feel they would be lucky to get a 5th round draft choice for him.

The FAB 4 has instructed Accorsi (after waking him up) to initate negotiations with GB using a 4th round draft choice as bait. One would expect Walker not to be 100% in 2006, but he could in 2007. For the Giants to assume any 4th round choice in this year's draft will make much of an impact is dreaming anyway. Of course this trade hinges on Walker and the Giants being able to negotiate a contract before any such trade is made. Floyd wanted to negotiate the trade himself, but was unable to convince the Maras to circumvent Ernie - we can only hope!

OMG! A actual proposal from the fag4 that makes spme sense. But I think a 4 DP is a bit of a reach. I say 5th and that's it.

OMG! A actual proposal from the fag4 that makes spme sense. But I think a 4 DP is a bit of a reach. I say 5th and that's it.

Wierd isnt it.....I could see that happening....4th or 5th for him...He got hurt against Det 9/11..I think....so he could be ready by mid season if not earlier

Guest Lockhart

You can start with a 5th, but it will take a 4th round choice to close the deal. If the Giants don't offer it, someone else will.

Where's the link that says the Pack feel they'll only get a 5th rounder for him? That's the first I've heard of this. Not saying it isn't true but a link would provide more credence.

Personally I think he's worth much more than that, even if he won't pay immediate dividends. However, keep in mind we'd also be inviting a potential contract holdout into our house too. I'll admit Walker was grossly underpaid in Green Bay but we'd need to conduct due diligence to find out what he's seeking.

Guest Lockhart
:TU:

Makes perfect sense.

There's good in you. Let go of your hate...

Many people use the word "hate" for facts they don't want to believe is true.

WalkerWantsOut

Walker wants Pack to let him explore trade options

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

Daunte Culpepper's misery in Minnesota has company in, of all places, Green Bay.

Elsa/Getty Images

Walker: "I just don't feel like this is the best place for me to be right now. I really have no interest in ... playing for Green Bay again."

While the Packers await a decision from quarterback Brett Favre about whether he intends to retire or return, wide receiver Javon Walker, who is rehabilitating the right knee he injured in last year's season opener, told ESPN.com on Thursday that he has already informed the Packers of his desire to play elsewhere.

Walker said he's expressed his feelings to new Packers coach Mike McCarthy, while his agent, CSMG Sports' Kennard McGuire, has asked general manager Ted Thompson, as did former Walker agent Drew Rosenhaus, to deal Walker or allow them to pursue a trade. Thompson on Wednesday denied the requests.

"I just don't feel like this is the best place for me to be right now," said Walker, whose relationship with the organization remains fractured following the team's refusal last summer to renegotiate his contract and public criticism at his expense by Favre. "I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."

Citing recent contract squabbles with running back Ahman Green, tight end Bubba Franks, defensive lineman Grady Jackson and cornerback Mike McKenzie, as well as his own, Walker added, "I just don't like the way the organization runs itself. They want players to come up there and play hard and work hard, but when it comes time to be compensated, it's like, 'We forgot what you've done.'"

The source of Walker's bitterness is the team's refusal even to discuss his contract, which at the time had two years remaining, the penultimate year of which paid him $515,000 the season after he made the Pro Bowl by catching 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. But Walker, a four-year veteran, says that money is not the issue at this point.

Favre offended Walker when he spoke out against the receiver in his contract dispute, saying he should come to training camp and not hold out. (Walker heeded the advice.) Walker believes Favre's comments made living and working in Wisconsin difficult; Walker tells of one instance when he was in a hotel and an employee announced his presence on an Internet message board for "anyone who had something to say to Javon Walker." It also angered Walker that the team allowed its iconic quarterback to interfere publicly in a teammate's business with management. He held his tongue all year.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," said Walker, still biting his tongue on Favre for the most part.

While Walker is quite adamant about not sticking around in Green Bay for the final year of his contract -- whether Favre returns or not -- he promises not to be a disruption next season, because he doesn't plan to show up at all for training camp.

"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," he said. "I don't have to play."

The rift is so deep and his animosity toward Favre so great that, Walker said, he is even willing if necessary to repay the Packers the prorated portion of his signing bonus, which amounts to around $850,000.

"Why should I risk another year of getting beat up playing for a team that I don't want to play for? That's stupid," Walker said.

Walker, who underwent surgery Oct. 7 in Houston, says his rehab at Florida State (his alma mater) is going as planned. He's sprinting and should be ready to go by training camp -- for some other team, he hopes.

"I love the game," Walker said. "But I'm not going to risk what I went through this year, tearing an ACL and taking pain pills. If I'm going to go out and take hits, it's going to be for a team that I love playing for."

Walker said he told McCarthy, "It's nothing against you or your staff, but it's unfair to you to have a player in your organization that doesn't want to be there."

"I'm not going to grandstand," Walker said. "I just want the Packers to give me peace of mind."

Reached in his office, McCarthy declined comment.

Guest Nutty Sack

This transaction has the FF stamp of approval and is well worth the 4th round pick. The move is a bit spicey considering the Giants history to roll the dice but if they were willing to offer a 34 year old loud mouth $3 million, than who knows ??

This transaction has the FF stamp of approval and is well worth the 4th round pick. The move is a bit spicey considering the Giants history to roll the dice but if they were willing to offer a 34 year old loud mouth $3 million, than who knows ??

We're certainly on the same page here Fab 4. For a fourth rounder, Walker is a steal.

I'm just worried that he would want to be the #1 WR and get a lot of balls thrown at him and cause a bit of controversy between him and Plax.

And I like Huff a lot but... I don't think he can run an offense properly if we signed Keyshawn or traded for Walker with all those multiple weapons on the offense. It'd almost be too much.

Guest Lockhart
We're certainly on the same page here Fab 4. For a fourth rounder, Walker is a steal.

I'm just worried that he would want to be the #1 WR and get a lot of balls thrown at him and cause a bit of controversy between him and Plax.

And I like Huff a lot but... I don't think he can run an offense properly if we signed Keyshawn or traded for Walker with all those multiple weapons on the offense. It'd almost be too much.

Javon Walker healthy would be the Giants number one receiver - he is better than the Giants currently have. If Plax starts whining - he's history. Plax already skipped the team meeting and his TO-Lite attitude already has him in Coughlin's doghouse. If it came down to Javon Walker or Plaxico, it is a very easy decision - dump TO-Lite.

Edited by Lockhart

Javon Walker healthy would be the Giants number one receiver - he is better than the Giants currently have. If Plax starts whining - he's history. Plax already skipped the team meeting and his TO-Lite attitude already has him in Coughlin's doghouse. If it came down to Javon Walker or Plaxico, it is a very easy decision - dump TO-Lite.

And yet again, you destory your on in a 100 good posts :cwy:

Guest Lockhart
And yet again, you destory your on in a 100 good posts :cwy:

To even suggest that Plaxico is anywhere near as good as Javon Walker is absurd. Walker has ALWAYS been a number 1 receiver on Green Bay with Brett Favre. Plaxico has NEVER been a number 1 receiver and when the Giants tried to make him one he failed, disappearing the last third of the season and quitting in the playoff game. Now he is refusing to report to NJ, which takes away any shot of him being the number 1 receiver, and definitely eliminates him as any kind of team leader - Walker can be both for the Giants. Javon Walker, when healthy is a top 10 WR in the NFL - it's very questionable whether Plaxico is in the top 20.

Edited by Lockhart

Where's the link that says the Pack feel they'll only get a 5th rounder for him? That's the first I've heard of this. Not saying it isn't true but a link would provide more credence.

Personally I think he's worth much more than that, even if he won't pay immediate dividends. However, keep in mind we'd also be inviting a potential contract holdout into our house too. I'll admit Walker was grossly underpaid in Green Bay but we'd need to conduct due diligence to find out what he's seeking.

I agree, I think a 4th or 5th wont be enough for Green Bay. I dont care if he is threatening to retire or not, if any one of the other 32 teams found out thats all Green Bay wanted Im positive there would be a few that would offer more, such as a 3rd round pick maybe even a late 2nd. I dont think Green Bay would release him because they are in a very good cap situation to just sit on this. Sure they could use the extra pick but for a 4th? I dont think so.

Guest Lockhart
I agree, I think a 4th or 5th wont be enough for Green Bay. I dont care if he is threatening to retire or not, if any one of the other 32 teams found out thats all Green Bay wanted Im positive there would be a few that would offer more, such as a 3rd round pick maybe even a late 2nd. I dont think Green Bay would release him because they are in a very good cap situation to just sit on this. Sure they could use the extra pick but for a 4th? I dont think so.

Walker will be an unrestricted free agent after this season - they get something for him now or lose him for nothing. Sitiing out this whole year might be the best thing he could do for his knee. The Packers are going to suck for years and are now just starting a rebuild job - they should dump all their veterans for draft choices, especially those they KNOW they are going to lose in a year or so. Daunte Culpepper went for a 2nd round draft choice - a 4th round would do it for Walker.

Now you are right that some teams might offer a third round choice - I would offer that as a last resort, but not any higher.

Edited by Lockhart

Walker will be an unrestricted free agent after this season - they get something for him now or lose him for nothing. Sitiing out this whole year might be the best thing he could do for his knee. The Packers are going to suck for years and are now just starting a rebuild job - they should dump all their veterans for draft choices, especially those they KNOW they are going to lose in a year or so. Daunte Culpepper went for a 2nd round draft choice - a 4th round would do it for Walker.

Now you are right that some teams might offer a third round choice - I would offer that as a last resort, but not any higher.

Brandon Lloyd went for a 3rd and 4th. What's your point?

Guest Lockhart
Brandon Lloyd went for a 3rd and 4th. What's your point?

Brandon Lloyd didn't have an ACL injury - and that dolt Danny boy ALWAYS overpays - a 4th would do it. If Culpepper goes for a 2nd - Walker for a 4th . You guys should keep up with these things. FAB 4 ALWAYS knows the right price!

Edited by Lockhart

Im saying the Packers wont take a 4th no matter whos offering. I think they would rather sit with this making Walker re-think his comments trying to get him to come back and play. He wont retire and he wont sit this entire season out, he'll lose too much money by not playing this season. The best thing for him to do is suck it up (whatever problems he has with GB) and play for a contract next season. If you remember Walker threatened a hold out before this season but then in July he returned right on time. His injury was in early September he doesnt need to sit another season.

Brandon Lloyd didn't have an ACL injury - and that dolt Danny boy ALWAYS overpays - a 4th would do it. If Culpepper goes for a 2nd - Walker for a 4th . You guys should keep up with these things. FAB 4 ALWAYS knows the right price!

Lloyd never caught 89 balls for 1,382 yrds and 12 touchdowns either.

Guest Lockhart
Im saying the Packers wont take a 4th no matter whos offering. I think they would rather sit with this making Walker re-think his comments trying to get him to come back and play. He wont retire and he wont sit this entire season out, he'll lose too much money by not playing this season. The best thing for him to do is suck it up (whatever problems he has with GB) and play for a contract next season. If you remember Walker threatened a hold out before this season but then in July he returned right on time. His injury was in early September he doesnt need to sit another season.

He's a free agent after 2006 - they will lose him for nothing. Coming back from an ACL he won't be full spedd when the season starts. They would be lucky to get a good half season from him. either way they lose him - why not get something in return. Javon Walker will NOT be a Packer come September.

Guest Floyd The Barber

its always the ones who are not afraid to take risks that go down in history as great invoators of there time...the FAB 4's way of thinking...perhaps there is a way in adding Brett Farve in the package and we would be killing two birds with one stone...

first bird...we will have a competitve WR whos potential has yet to be seen and is untapped...and he is young

second bird....we will have an ULTRA competitive future HOF QB at the helm that would not quiver at the thought of taking the reigns from Eli's hands if need be, or on his own discretion

its time to prepare mission statements to several parties of authority...

its always the ones who are not afraid to take risks that go down in history as great invoators of there time...the FAB 4's way of thinking...perhaps there is a way in adding Brett Farve in the package and we would be killing two birds with one stone...

first bird...we will have a competitve WR whos potential has yet to be seen and is untapped...and he is young

second bird....we will have an ULTRA competitive future HOF QB at the helm that would not quiver at the thought of taking the reigns from Eli's hands if need be, or on his own discretion

LAME.jpg

and who might that be :rolleyes:

He's a free agent after 2006 - they will lose him for nothing. Coming back from an ACL he won't be full spedd when the season starts. They would be lucky to get a good half season from him. either way they lose him - why not get something in return. Javon Walker will NOT be a Packer come September.

Losing good players to free agency for nothing happens all the time in the NFL. The most recent torn ACL I could think of thats like Walkers and around the same time is DT Seth Payne. He injuried his in sept. of 03 and returned to full health by the start of 04, playing in all 16 games. Eddie Lee Ivery tore his ACL in his rookie season then returned to lead the team in rushing the next. Joey Galloway in 2000 tore his then returned the very next season to play in all 16 games. Highly touted DT Haloti Ngata suffered a torn ACL in 03 in the season opener and returned to full health for 04. Now he's a top 10 pick. Here's a stat for the hell of it, over 20% of retired NFL players have suffered a torn ACL at some point in their careers.

But what I think matters the most is if Favre retires or not. Even though Brett called out Walker publicly I think Walker would definitely return if Favre said he was coming back for this season. And Green Bay will want to hold on to Walker untill they see what Favre does. If they get rid of Walker for a fourth and Favre returns then they need to bring in a wideout for Favre. If they dont trade/release Walker and keep him around they have a potent offense once again. And yea, I do honestly think Walker will return no matter what. He said he was going to hold out last season and didnt stick to his guns, and last season he was in better position to make that type of call. Green Bay has a good FO and they will make the best deal for them, not the best deal for another team or for us in this matter.