SportsWrath

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&

Bigblue25

Giants' Umenyiora requires season-ending knee surgery

NFL.com Wire Reports

The New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending knee surgery, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting. The Pro Bowl defensive end has a torn MCL.

Umenyiora injured his left knee in the second quarter of the New York Giants' preseason game against the New York Jets.

Umenyiora started all 16 games last season and had 52 tackles and a team-high 13 sacks. He added seven tackles in the Giants' run to the Super Bowl.

The Giants are a bit thin at defensive end this season with the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan. Tuck has replaced Strahan. New York also signed veteran Renaldo Wynn in the offseason.

With Umenyiora sidelined, the Giants could move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He was switched to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"You are always concerned any time a player like that goes down," Kiwanuka said. "That's not good. We know the type of player he is and if he can come back he will. But we have the personnel to step up in his absence."

Kiwanuka sidestepped moving back to defensive end, saying that decision is up to the team.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

The Giants injury plague hits early. This is prob the last person we could afford to lose on the defensive side of the ball. I am not sold on Wynn in the pass rush. This is major trouble. Our D line is the main reason our secondary improved last year and is the reason why we won the superbowl. With Strahan and Osi gone this is a huge wreck to the team.

Yeah...I soon as I finish typing and refresh Giants.com. I see the news Umenyiora is out for the season.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt it's bad news, but let's be realistic here. It's hard enough to repeat with no personnel losses in the off season, nevermind losing Strah, Shockey, Mitchell and the rest. The Giants were going to have a hard time anyway. Everyone thought Tiki retiring doomed us to failure and it worked out for us anyway. The likelihood of that happening 2 seasons in a row, and with 4 times as many losses makes repeating almost impossible. I'm not saying the Giants won't repeat, anything can happen, but with or without Osi, be honest, we were not a shoe-in to begin with. It's going to be a true Rolaid season......I'm totally looking forward to it.

We won with resiliency and the ability to overcome adversity last year. Let's do it again.

It's a wake up call that every single player on the team is going to have to step up. d-linemen, DBs, LBs, and the O as a whole.

It time to put Kiwi back at DE.

i disagree, if we put him back and then next season osi is back than now what, kiwi is on the bench? or moved back to linebacker again. cant be moved around that much.

i disagree, if we put him back and then next season osi is back than now what, kiwi is on the bench? or moved back to linebacker again. cant be moved around that much.

Yeah, I agree. I'd have to ask the follwing question though:

What if this happened in say, week 5? Obviously Coughlin would have some plan in place, and I'm sure it wouldn't be to move Kiwi mid-season. Knee jerk reaction (no pun intended) would be to move him because the season hasn't even started, but I think Coughlin should stick to whatever plan he had if Osi went down later in the season.

He could be used the way Tuck was used last year. If a guy is that versatile, they will find ways to get him on the field.

Then leave him at DE..He's natural position. There's nothing wrong with having 3 DE on a team.