SportsWrath

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&

Bigblue25

Of course this is bad news, but it could be worse. It could be Eli. With Tuck and Kiwi, we still have major pash rush from the end or up the middle. Renaldo wynn brings major experience. The year just got bigger for Cofield and Robbins. Jay Alford showed signs he's going to be a player. And the staff are high on Tollefson.

Think about this, our defensive line helped out our secondary last year with the pressure. Now it's time to return the favor now that we've supposedly gotten better back there.

False hope time...

50-50 Osi is back by October?

The Giants made it pretty clear in their announcement this afternoon that it won't happen. "Umenyiora To Miss Season With Torn Lateral Meniscus," was the headline and left no room for ambiguity. But we'll have a story in the paper tomorrow (and presumably online in a little while) in which a leading orthopedic surgeon says that if it is just a torn meniscus and there is no other unrevealed ligament damage, there is a better than 50 percent chance that Umenyiora would be ready to play inside a month.

That's right. Better than 50 percent it goes from four months to four weeks of recovery. Why?

It depends on the procedure that will take place on Tuesday morning. If the surgeon repairs the meniscus, as is planned, it will take the four months to heal, including the first six weeks on crutches without putting any weight on the knee. But according to Dr. Craig Levitz, the director of the South Nassau center for cartilage repair as well as the chairman of orthopaedic surgery and the chief of sports medicine and our source on flat feet, more than half the time surgeons go in thinking they can repair a meniscus based on an MRI only to find it unrpairable. In that case part of the meniscus is removed and the recovery time shrinks to 3-4 weeks.

“If they don’t repair it (and remove it), there is no reason he should miss more than a month,” Levitz said.

Good news, especially considering that the Giants are unlikely to file the injured reserve paperwork with the league until Tuesday afternoon (after the surgery!) when they cut their roster from 80 to 75.

It's just best to leave him out the rest of the season.

Yep, even if he can run and do all that stuff, he won't be effective.

overall, I'm stressed this whole thing for about 20 seconds.. time to move on.

Giants' Umenyiora requires season-ending knee surgery

NFL.com Wire Reports

The New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending knee surgery, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting. The Pro Bowl defensive end has a torn MCL.

Umenyiora injured his left knee in the second quarter of the New York Giants' preseason game against the New York Jets.

Umenyiora started all 16 games last season and had 52 tackles and a team-high 13 sacks. He added seven tackles in the Giants' run to the Super Bowl.

The Giants are a bit thin at defensive end this season with the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan. Tuck has replaced Strahan. New York also signed veteran Renaldo Wynn in the offseason.

With Umenyiora sidelined, the Giants could move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He was switched to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"You are always concerned any time a player like that goes down," Kiwanuka said. "That's not good. We know the type of player he is and if he can come back he will. But we have the personnel to step up in his absence."

Kiwanuka sidestepped moving back to defensive end, saying that decision is up to the team.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

/

why the fuck was he still playing in the second quarter? preseason fucking sucks

The only realy way to make up for Osi's loss, is to bring Strahan back, and rotate him and Kiwi. And when Stray is on the field, move Kiwi back to LB. The odds of this arent to good, and even then I dont know.

If Strahan proves to be unattainable, then we should think about Simeon Rice. He still on the street and yes, he's undisciplined, but that's okay we need a good pass rusher to spell the other boys. We can't be too thin here, that's what killed us in the SF game during the playoffs a few years back: a tired DL.

I think this season is going to rely on the shoulders on Eli. Defense wins championships but Eli did not make many mistakes throughout the playoffs and it was a reason why they won it all. If he made mistakes, particularly in the Dallas game, no way would have they won that game. The defense did much better by holding the other team to a limited amount of yards and points.

I think this season is going to rely on the shoulders on Eli. Defense wins championships but Eli did not make many mistakes throughout the playoffs and it was a reason why they won it all. If he made mistakes, particularly in the Dallas game, no way would have they won that game. The defense did much better by holding the other team to a limited amount of yards and points.

Very good point. Warner did it in St Louis w/ virtually no D. And this D seems to be hurtin on the surface, but with a competent replacement for Osi, and the depth we already had at DE at the time of his injury, we arent as bad off as we think. Kiwi will be great at DE and Wynn is a good backup. Also, since Kiwi is leaving the LB corps, I think Clark will fill in fine and Wilkinson, as long as he aint fragile, will be just fine at LB.

I am still worried about our linebackers. What happens if we have another long term injury at that position? I am not 100% behind moving Kiwi back to DE. I guess Wynn and the others are just not cutting it but it's all about pressure.

Very good point. Warner did it in St Louis w/ virtually no D. And this D seems to be hurtin on the surface, but with a competent replacement for Osi, and the depth we already had at DE at the time of his injury, we arent as bad off as we think. Kiwi will be great at DE and Wynn is a good backup. Also, since Kiwi is leaving the LB corps, I think Clark will fill in fine and Wilkinson, as long as he aint fragile, will be just fine at LB.

actually, the dog is pretty certain the rams defense was ranked in the top 5 that year...however, the dog agrees that one injury does not make for a defensive collapse here...not that anyone wants to lose a top player in their respective position, but teams that win super bowls have all suffered injuries and set backs...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash on Coughlin for having our star players still playing in the 2nd quarter of ANY preseason game. I guess winning a SuperBowl earns you a lot of goodwill.

However, I think we can overcome the injury, but some things have to fall right for us, meaning Kiwi needs to be not only a good pass rusher, but not be liability in the run game. The secondary has to be better than it was last year during the regular season, and Wilkinson needs to prove himself... and oh yeah, we can't have any more catastrophic injuries.

I thought before Saturday night that this defense has a chance to be HISTORICALLY good. I'm talking as good as the LT defenses, as good as the Ravens were in 2001. Now, I just don't see that. And that's because Osi is one of, if not the best, DE in the NFL. And losing someone of his caliber IS a big deal, it does make our defense significantly weaker, but it's about guys stepping up now.

Anyone know if we put Osi on IR, would he be eligible under NFL rules to come back for the playoffs if we make it? Or does IR mean yer gone for the whole year, whole enchilada?

Now I have to wait yet ANOTHER year to see what Kiwi, Tuck, and Osi can do on the field together.

Yeah, I agree. I'd have to ask the follwing question though:

What if this happened in say, week 5? Obviously Coughlin would have some plan in place, and I'm sure it wouldn't be to move Kiwi mid-season. Knee jerk reaction (no pun intended) would be to move him because the season hasn't even started, but I think Coughlin should stick to whatever plan he had if Osi went down later in the season.

Bronx, this is why you should just keep your mouth shut.

actually, the dog is pretty certain the rams defense was ranked in the top 5 that year...however, the dog agrees that one injury does not make for a defensive collapse here...not that anyone wants to lose a top player in their respective position, but teams that win super bowls have all suffered injuries and set backs...

Really? Im gonna have to check that, because I thought they were more like #15 or so.

Really? Im gonna have to check that, because I thought they were more like #15 or so.

Well, they werent top 5, but they were 6th in the league. I ALWAYS say whats the first thing on my mind, goin off of memory (which is fairly shot at this point in my life lol) at first, then I google. I coulda swore they were worse than that. I remember them winning quite a few games by shootouts.