SportsWrath

Wright or Lorenzen to be cut today or tomorrow

BleedinBlue

From the Star Ledger (nj.com):

"Notes: The Giants are expected to trim their roster by several players, including a quarterback (Jared Lorenzen or Anthony Wright), either today or tomorrow, according to someone familiar with the team's plans.

The person, who requested anonymity because the transactions haven't yet been made, said the team was prepared to make a move early in the week but wanted to wait until after the players got a chance to visit the White House as active members of the team.

No starters or key veterans (except Wright or Lorenzen) are expected to be among the cuts."

I have a hunch Wright is the one who will be trimmed as there will probably be a certain amount of comradery between Lorenzen and Woodson as they both hail from U of K and were both QB's. I would think it would be beneficial to Woodson. Regardless....I guess we shall see.

My bet is that some of the rather unknown players on the Giants roster like Geoff Pope, Jerome Collins, Danny Ware, etc., will be sent packing to get down to the 80 player limit and make room for the new guys. It will be interesting to see the fallout.....especially to see if Butler is cut even before camp.

isn't it plausible that neither will be Giants after today...?

I mean, we did pick up a former first pick of the draft in David Carr to be our key backup...and Andre Woodson sounds like the real deal...a steal in round 6 that should have been a 3rd rounder or better....

Andre Woodson...he just has one of those football names. Every Woodson was good! Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson

I expect Wright to be cut, he's probably making more money than Lorenzen. There are people at the Giants who are simply fascinated with Lorenzen and will want to see if he takes to competing for his spot. However I wish they'd just cut him now, I like the idea of a Manning/Carr/ Woodson trio. You have you're #1 guy, your experienced backup and a guy who has all the tools.

I expect Pope to be gone also, too bad as the kid came outta nowhere and did a nice job. Ware IMo is not going anywhere right now. I fully expect him to get playing time in the offseason to show his stuff and at worse he's traded or he's practice squad.

If Chase Blackburn was released it wouldn't surprise me at all.Every guy we've brought in in the offseason and every other linebacker we have on the roster has more of an upside than Blackburn. Sorry to all you Chase lovers out there.

I never heard about Adrian Awasom getting released, if he hasn't he probably will.

Yeah, Awsome was released outright right after he got picked up for DWI out in Phoenix after the superbowl. He wasn't cutting it anyway and the DWI simply put the nail in the coffin.

The Giants can only have 80 players in training camp - a reduced number since the Europa Football League went under. Right now I believe the Giants are 2 over the limit as they've signed 14 UDFA's. Reese had mentioned last week that they only had 12 available spots open for training camp so they probably wouldn't sign as many UDFA's as in the past. I know that about 3 years ago they brought in 32 UDFA's and last year they brought in 19.

So if they have to cut 2 (assuming they don't continue to sign anymore invitees), it will probably be Wright and one other. Since Tyree just underwent surgery and is on crutches, I think he doesn't count against the 80 limit.

For running backs, we have Jacobs, Droughns, Bradshaw, Ward, Danny Ware, and Kay-Jay Harris. I don't think we need all 6 RB's for training.

I don't see any reason to cut Lorenzen before training camp if there is an spot open on the roster for training. There's no way he'll make the team (unless one of the QB's gets injured) in the end, but he's been part of the team for a long time now and has a great attitude. I'm sure that he already knows he's gone before the season starts.

I expect Wright to be cut, he's probably making more money than Lorenzen. There are people at the Giants who are simply fascinated with Lorenzen and will want to see if he takes to competing for his spot. However I wish they'd just cut him now, I like the idea of a Manning/Carr/ Woodson trio. You have you're #1 guy, your experienced backup and a guy who has all the tools.

I expect Pope to be gone also, too bad as the kid came outta nowhere and did a nice job. Ware IMo is not going anywhere right now. I fully expect him to get playing time in the offseason to show his stuff and at worse he's traded or he's practice squad.

If Chase Blackburn was released it wouldn't surprise me at all.Every guy we've brought in in the offseason and every other linebacker we have on the roster has more of an upside than Blackburn. Sorry to all you Chase lovers out there.

I never heard about Adrian Awasom getting released, if he hasn't he probably will.

Chase > Zak DeOssie. Don't know why people like that guy so much. He is not that good, IMO. People were talking about DeOssie being Pierce's primary backup. If that's the case we are in trouble. Hopefully Goff can fulfill his big potential and be in that role.

Chase > Zak DeOssie. Don't know why people like that guy so much. He is not that good, IMO. People were talking about DeOssie being Pierce's primary backup. If that's the case we are in trouble. Hopefully Goff can fulfill his big potential and be in that role.

You're really debting a player we picked up last year in the draft and comparing him to Chase Blackburn whos been here for 3 or 4 and done nothing....?

Chase hasn't done "nothing" but he hasn't done anything spectacular to warrant keeping him.

DeOssie is the punting team long snapper and is one year removed from Ivy League football. He isn't going anywhere.

Why the owners didn't increase the # of training camp players is beyond me. Stupid stupid move.

Chase hasn't done "nothing" but he hasn't done anything spectacular to warrant keeping him.

DeOssie is the punting team long snapper and is one year removed from Ivy League football. He isn't going anywhere.

Why the owners didn't increase the # of training camp players is beyond me. Stupid stupid move.

Yes, I'm sure his stats read 2 tackles, INT for TD, whooped-de-do

Chase is a backup linebacker who barely ever sees playing time, not even to give guys a blow. Deossie has a function on special teams. Listen Chase I'm sure is a good kid, but IMO he has no big advantage over every other linebacker on the squad. However, if he was cut I bet he'd get picked up immediately because other teams would love his heart.

isn't it plausible that neither will be Giants after today...?

I mean, we did pick up a former first pick of the draft in David Carr to be our key backup...and Andre Woodson sounds like the real deal...a steal in round 6 that should have been a 3rd rounder or better....

Andre Woodson...he just has one of those football names. Every Woodson was good! Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson

Dont forget Darren Woodsen........friggin cowboy. <_<

Yeah, Awsome was released outright right after he got picked up for DWI out in Phoenix after the superbowl. He wasn't cutting it anyway and the DWI simply put the nail in the coffin.

The Giants can only have 80 players in training camp - a reduced number since the Europa Football League went under. Right now I believe the Giants are 2 over the limit as they've signed 14 UDFA's. Reese had mentioned last week that they only had 12 available spots open for training camp so they probably wouldn't sign as many UDFA's as in the past. I know that about 3 years ago they brought in 32 UDFA's and last year they brought in 19.

So if they have to cut 2 (assuming they don't continue to sign anymore invitees), it will probably be Wright and one other. Since Tyree just underwent surgery and is on crutches, I think he doesn't count against the 80 limit.

For running backs, we have Jacobs, Droughns, Bradshaw, Ward, Danny Ware, and Kay-Jay Harris. I don't think we need all 6 RB's for training.

I don't see any reason to cut Lorenzen before training camp if there is an spot open on the roster for training. There's no way he'll make the team (unless one of the QB's gets injured) in the end, but he's been part of the team for a long time now and has a great attitude. I'm sure that he already knows he's gone before the season starts.

Hey Hey Kay-Jay make way for others to play!

You're really debting a player we picked up last year in the draft and comparing him to Chase Blackburn whos been here for 3 or 4 and done nothing....?

When Blackburn's been in there he's done pretty well. The first game he subbed for someone who was injured (Barrett Green maybe?) he ended up with something like 7 tackles before getting injured himself. He also has two solo tackles on a goal line stand about two years ago. He doesn't suck, he's just not starter material, and if someone wants his job they're in for a hell of a fight... he ain't just gonna give it up.

Remember, this is the guy that when he was told his neck injury might be career threatening, went out and added 7 inches of muscle to his neck. The kid's got heart.

When Blackburn's been in there he's done pretty well. The first game he subbed for someone who was injured (Barrett Green maybe?) he ended up with something like 7 tackles before getting injured himself. He also has two solo tackles on a goal line stand about two years ago. He doesn't suck, he's just not starter material, and if someone wants his job they're in for a hell of a fight... he ain't just gonna give it up.

Remember, this is the guy that when he was told his neck injury might be career threatening, went out and added 7 inches of muscle to his neck. The kid's got heart.

With all the steroid and HGH talk these days, I'd be concerned about a guy adding 7 inches to his neck like that. That's not really natural, unless you're Barry Bonds of course.

I believe one guy got cut, Shanle the TE.

Yup, Andrew Shanle (FS, not TE) and TE Marcus Freeman were both cut yesterday. Both were from the practice team. Gotta hunch there'll be a lot more today.