SportsWrath

What are your thoughts on Peter King's comment about John Mara and PSL's

boohyah

8. I think I feel for one owner here -- John Mara of the Giants. It's going to sound silly to have mercy on an owner, particularly one who is two years from occupying a shiny new stadium. But here's a guy who is sick about what he knows he's going to have to do, which is to make some segment of his decades-old fan base (maybe 30,000 or 35,000 fans) pay for personal-seat licenses in the new stadium.

Imagine a season-ticket holder since 1952 getting a letter in the mail asking for $25,000 (I made this number up; I don't think the Giants know yet how much they'll charge per seat, nor how many seats they'll make the season subscribers cover) for every season ticket. I've known Mara for a while, and I can tell you this is something that will keep him up nights. But in this climate, with the economy being what it is, the Giants and Jets will both have to charge the fans chunks for this billion-dollar stadium.

The Mara's are great owners but this passage smacks of King pandering to them. What better way to curry favor with the org than to express how badly the owner is going to feel about overcharging for seats.

I'm sure that there are plenty in the Giants org rubbing their hands at the prospect of forcing some of the old fogies out with this prospect.

I'm sure that there are plenty in the Giants org rubbing their hands at the prospect of forcing some of the old fogies out with this prospect.

Old fogies out, corporate expense account fans in?

Why do you say that?

Because King has lived in NJ for awhile and I am sure he has had plenty of access to the Mara family. They have nothing to hide and he is one of the most respected NFL journalists that I am sure they have been very open towards. I have a lot of respect for King and look forward to his MMQB columns because he has a unique outlook on the NFL. I really don't think he has any need to pander towards an owner, especially one in his backyard.

I just have too much respect for King being a good journalist and too much faith in the Mara family to actually be hurt by having to do this to think King is pandering.

OK, I know King said it was just a made up number, but $25,000??? Even if he is remotely close with his guesstimate, does anyone else find that absolutely insane for tickets....to 8 football games? Even if I had LT's blood running through my veins I would never, ever shell out that kind of money. Hell, I have a hard enough time believing people actually pay $250.00+ for jerseys.

OK, I know King said it was just a made up number, but $25,000??? Even if he is remotely close with his guesstimate, does anyone else find that absolutely insane for tickets....to 8 football games? Even if I had LT's blood running through my veins I would never, ever shell out that kind of money. Hell, I have a hard enough time believing people actually pay $250.00+ for jerseys.

it is not a per year charge but rather a 1 time fee.

the number I heard last Septe,ber was 10k but that it would apply to every seat. Interestingly enough King invisions only about 40% of ticket holders charged and roughly 2 1/2 times the 10k number I heard. perhaps their thinkin has evolved. Either way we will almost certainly have to pay.

And yes the sole purpose of "seat licenses" is to free up seats for corporations. Of course corporations, either through TV advertising or through direct luxury box and ticket buys, is where all the owners revenues come from so this should not really be a surprise.

So for all those that have been patiently

waiting for season tickets by the time

your number is called if you want

2 to 4 tickets you will need to come

up with a $20 to $40K 1x fee plus the

ticket fee for the year. parking? $$$

I will watch the game at home on my

150 inch TV screen. Because with the

money saved I can buy a monster monitor

extend my T.V. room and have shrimp

cocktail and champagne for every game for

the next ten years!

Season tickets will be far out of reach

for most people. :o

it is not a per year charge but rather a 1 time fee.

the number I heard last Septe,ber was 10k but that it would apply to every seat. Interestingly enough King invisions only about 40% of ticket holders charged and roughly 2 1/2 times the 10k number I heard. perhaps their thinkin has evolved. Either way we will almost certainly have to pay.

And yes the sole purpose of "seat licenses" is to free up seats for corporations. Of course corporations, either through TV advertising or through direct luxury box and ticket buys, is where all the owners revenues come from so this should not really be a surprise.

if it's $10,000 for every seat, the entire upper deck will turn over. Not that the organization would care, but I'll protest the team financially over this. That number is fucking ludicrous.

if it's $10,000 for every seat, the entire upper deck will turn over. Not that the organization would care, but I'll protest the team financially over this. That number is fucking ludicrous.

How much do you spend a year financially on Giants related items?

It's going to be 10 games, because you're still going to pony up for those 2 preseason games.

Aside frpm the obvious ( 70k x10k x 2 = 140 million ) if they do it that way they know a lot of people will lose their seats and a lot of people on the list won't buy. They did this in Philly knowingly. It will be interesting to see if they do a blanket fee are go up to 25k and target the best seats.It will also be interesting to see what the Jets do.

How much do you spend a year financially on Giants related items?

Usually just the tix for the games I go to. When a good DVD or something comes out, I'll nab that too. It's not much, but I'll be damned if I give them another penny if those PSLs go through. It'll probably mean I won't be buying the Playoff box set, but whatever. I'll copy them instead.

Aside frpm the obvious ( 70k x10k x 2 = 140 million ) if they do it that way they know a lot of people will lose their seats and a lot of people on the list won't buy. They did this in Philly knowingly. It will be interesting to see if they do a blanket fee are go up to 25k and target the best seats.It will also be interesting to see what the Jets do.

It will definitely be interesting. I would guess the Jets & Giants would have the same PSL policy. Regarding the Iggles, from what I remember, the fans went batshit when they announced the PSLs and the organization ended up not having them for the cheaper seats. i could be wrong though. i do remember seeing a townhall meeting on CSN with Joe Banner & a bunch of season ticket holders, and the shit they gave him was great. The Giants fans will simply have to speak up and follow the Philly fan lead if they try to hit the cheap seats with PSLs.