SportsWrath

Giants interested in CB Nnamdi Asomugha?

BleedinBlue

From the Star Ledger:

".... looking around to find out what the Raiders' cap figure is right now. Remember, when the D-Hall trade went down, I guessed the team might have a problem finding some money for CB Nnamdi Asomugha, whom the Giants like very much. Well, I got it for you. As of today, Oakland has roughly a whopping...

...half a mil under the cap.

Now, that figure is the top 51 on their current roster and they'll be able to shave some of that (perhaps by cutting RB LaMont Jordan), but it doesn't include the money they'll have to pay their rookies (Darren McFadden maybe?). Plus, you need more than $500k to operate during the season.

Does this mean the Giants will trade for Asomugha? No more than the Saints trading for Shockey right now. But it's definitely a situation that bears watching"

Of course we want him. His name is unpronouncable. ;)

All joking aside tho, I've never really seen him play. What kind of player is he?

He's the best cornerback in the league IMO. Teams learned the hard way in '06 not to throw his way.

http://www.rotowire.com/blogs/allblogs.htm...date2=1/12/2008

Jared Allen was the best defensive end, Patrick Willis was the best linebacker, Albert Haynesworth was the most dominant tackle, and Bob Sanders was the class of all safeties, but Asomugha was the NFL’s best defensive player in 2007. Charles Woodson was also terrific, but a toe injury derailed the latter part of his otherwise brilliant season. Asomugha’s numbers don’t stand out – 34 tackles and one INT – but that was because of the single craziest stat of the year: he was targeted 28 times all season long, resulting in a microscopic 10 catches allowed. Almost always lined up in man coverage, Asomugha is a physical, rare talent with the ability to match up with any sized receiver in the league. Part of the reason he saw so few targets had to do with the Raiders’ poor run D, but the same could be said about Denver, and Champ Bailey was picked on this season. A truly dominant, shutdown corner in the NFL these days is a rare thing, and Asomugha is the exception.

That's a great article...thanks.

No problem, I had bookmarked it weeks ago when someone was using Champ's stats as part of the reason he was better than Asomugha, but db's stats don't always tell the story. That times targeted stat for Asomougha is just insane and Champ got torched a few times this past season and seemed to have an off year. I'd go nuts if we could somehow land Nnamdi.

I spent 6 years on the NYG message board, too many kids for me now...

I know what you mean. There are some great guys over there, but there is so much flaming, immaturity, and negativity for me.

Not as many threads here as over there, but for the most part, everyone on this board knows football and doesn't go negative every time something doesn't go exactly as planned.

Regardless....welcome aboard. Glad to have ya.

It would be awesome if we could land him, but then again I think the Raiders would be asking an arm, a leg, a lung, a stomach, a heart, a foot.....well and maybe Eli's first born for us to land him.

What doesn't make sense to me.....is that they don't have enough money left to sign their draft picks as it is. If they try to trade up for Long, then they've got to cut the hell out of the team in order to make room for the cash to suit him up.

I have no idea what is going through Davis head? I'm glad my team's execs understand "value" and "holding the line on outrageous contracts".

What doesn't make sense to me.....is that they don't have enough money left to sign their draft picks as it is. If they try to trade up for Long, then they've got to cut the hell out of the team in order to make room for the cash to suit him up.

I have no idea what is going through Davis head? I'm glad my team's execs understand "value" and "holding the line on outrageous contracts".

from what i understand about what our cap is now. we only have around 5 million left and we still need money to sign our draft choices and a little left for emergencies during the season so there really isn't much money to do anything ...

from what i understand about what our cap is now. we only have around 5 million left and we still need money to sign our draft choices and a little left for emergencies during the season so there really isn't much money to do anything ...

According to the last report I read, the Giants have 9.5 million left in cap space. Of course, Suebert's contract wasn't taken into consideration at that time, but I don't think his contract is heavy. More like another 1/2 million and an extension.

According to the last report I read, the Giants have 9.5 million left in cap space. Of course, Suebert's contract wasn't taken into consideration at that time, but I don't think his contract is heavy. More like another 1/2 million and an extension.

Seubert's proposal also made his recent salary increases (from $1.05 million to $2 million this upcoming season) due to incentives reached more palatable for the Giants' salary cap because they'll now be converted into a signing bonus and spread over five years.

From the Seubert thread.....apparently he triggered incentives (like Fitzgerald did that made his cap price so ridiculously high for the Cards) worth 950K. If it is spread equally across the five years like they say thats 190K a year, meaning that his extension SHOULD increase their cap by 760K, which is worth 2 or 3 mid-late picks at least for a year.

I've read that after all the recent signings we have anywhere from 5-6.5 mill left, but man who really knows. On top of rook's and emergencies, Plax apparently wants to re-negotiate. He was pretty pissed after he saw the money Al Davis gave to Walker (thanks Al).

The yahoo rankings thread said something about all the high dollar Raiders' contracts were largely nonguranteed bonuses, thereby leaving them in better shape with the cap than most would assume.

It also said the raider's tagged asomugha. Can you trade a tagged franchise player?

The yahoo rankings thread said something about all the high dollar Raiders' contracts were largely nonguranteed bonuses, thereby leaving them in better shape with the cap than most would assume.

It also said the raider's tagged asomugha. Can you trade a tagged franchise player?

Yes you can and you can for even a lower value if you agree to it. IIRC the Packers DT who the Browns traded for was tagged which SHOULD command a 1st round pick but they got him for a 2nd.

As far as I know, they can be traded under normal circumstances. Signing them as a tagged player would cost us 2 1st rounders, but trading for them wouldn't be an issue... unless the Raiders ask for something more ridiculous than 2 1st rounders.