SportsWrath

Can We Put an End to the New Jersey/New York Dispute?

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

How about the Tri-State Giants? I didn't think so. We have always been the NEW YORK Giants, so why would we change it to New Jersey? And don't tell me "because they play in New Jersey"...that's not enough for me.

The dispute isn't so much a dispute as it is a continuous chide from anti-Giants' fans who try to get under the skin of real Giants' fans.

The Giants have tradition and nostalgia on their side as they go back to the early days of football. Changing the name of the New York Giants to New Jersey Giants steals from the storied history of the team. I doubt that 50 years from now, if the Cowboys built a new stadium in Fort Worth, that they'd be very happy about changing the team's name to Fort Worth Cowboys. Those who would call them the FW Cowboys would simply be chiding the Cowboy fans by trying to get under their skin. There are plenty of Eagles, Skins, Cowboy, fans who like to get under the Giants' fans skin. Any loyal fan of a team with history and tradition doesn't want to change the name of their franchise.

The dispute isn't so much a dispute as it is a continuous chide from anti-Giants' fans who try to get under the skin of real Giants' fans.

The Giants have tradition and nostalgia on their side as they go back to the early days of football. Changing the name of the New York Giants to New Jersey Giants steals from the storied history of the team. I doubt that 50 years from now, if the Cowboys built a new stadium in Fort Worth, that they'd be very happy about changing the team's name to Fort Worth Cowboys. Those who would call them the FW Cowboys would simply be chiding the Cowboy fans by trying to get under their skin. Dittos for any team with history and tradition of a franchise.

Those cities are in the same state. Just saying...

Those cities are in the same state. Just saying...

That's true. But the stadium is just across the river....a whole lot closer than Dallas is to Fort Worth and in the example I gave, the franchise is named after a city so if the stadium moved to a different city, shouldn't the name change as well? How bout when Green Bay finally builds in Milwaukee or Madison? I guarantee, the team will always be called Green Bay no matter where they build their stadium.

No, Bleedin' It really is us NJ Giant fans trying to get under the skin of NY Giant fans. Hey, if it works, don't fix it. :)

Guest StrahansGap
No, Bleedin' It really is us NJ Giant fans trying to get under the skin of NY Giant fans. Hey, if it works, don't fix it. :)

That's what I thought. Then maybe Fox and ESPN should stop showing video of the Empire State Building, Rock Center, and Times Square during their broadcasts and substitiute it with video of the Pulaski Skyway and the swamps. <_<

Sometimes it does come from a true-blue New Jersey fan of the Giants. But in my experience, it's almost always someone who hates the Giants and is just goading me on.

I have the greatest respect for New Jersey and for New Jersey fans. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, NYC and Newark have melded into one big metropolitan center. I just don't want to see the name of the storied franchise renamed on a geographical technicality. I say that - certainly meaning no offense to you - as a lifelong Giants fan. If the Eagles build a stadium across the river, I wouldn't expect them to change the team's name to New Jersey Eagles or the Canton Eagles or the Delaware Eagles should they move 5 miles south. I despise the Eagles, but they'll always be a Philadelphia franchise regardless of where they build their stadium.

Guest StrahansGap
Sometimes it does come from a true-blue New Jersey fan of the Giants. But in my experience, it's almost always someone who hates the Giants and is just goading me on.

I have the greatest respect for New Jersey and for New Jersey fans. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, NYC and Newark have melded into one big metropolitan center. I just don't want to see the name of the storied franchise renamed on a geographical technicality. I say that - certainly meaning no offense to you - as a lifelong Giants fan. If the Eagles build a stadium across the river, I wouldn't expect them to change the team's name to New Jersey Eagles or the Canton Eagles or the Delaware Eagles should they move 5 miles south. I despise the Eagles, but they'll always be a Philadelphia franchise regardless of where they build their stadium.

I don't care where Philadelphia ends up. They will always be known as Philthadelphia Eagles to me. :)

The Giants are named for the city of NY. Just like most pro teams are. Its just that the city they are named for happens to be the same name as the state. Now the Giants, much like a lot of pro teams these days play in a suburb of their city. It just happens that the Giants suburb is in another state. Like someone said, they are named for the city. The Buffalo Bills are not he NY Bills, they are named for a city in the state of NY, just like the Giants. If New York city was called Old York city, NY the Giants would be the Old York Giants playing in the state of NJ.

Its silly to even dicuss this they will always be the Ny Giants/

I will NEVER EVER EVER be fine with the fact the Giants play in New Jersey. I know it sounds irrational...but that's how it is with me. It pisses me off to no end.

I'm happy that they had a parade in NYC, but Mayor Koch had a point.

If they still play in NJ when I die I'll take it with me to the grave.

I didn't realize there was a dispute.

Some of it goes back to the 80's. See NY Times article below.

I read that 52% of season ticket holders are Jersey residents. The bulk of the remaining 48% are from N.Y. & Conn.

Growing up, my friends and I have always claimed The Giants as Jersey.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A961948260

Published: January 3, 1987

LEAD: After years of watching New Yorkers flock to the Meadowlands in New Jersey for Giants' and Jets' football games, Mayor Koch says he has had enough.

After years of watching New Yorkers flock to the Meadowlands in New Jersey for Giants' and Jets' football games, Mayor Koch says he has had enough.

The Mayor said yesterday that he would not accept phone calls from other mayors who want to bet on games involving the teams and that the teams should change their names to include ''New Jersey.'' ''I believe in truth in packaging,'' he said.

Mr. Koch said he wishes the teams success in their playoff games this weekend, but said he told Mayor Dianne Feinstein of San Francisco that ''she had the wrong telephone number'' when she sought to repeat their bet of last year.

''I told her to call Governor Kean of New Jersey or the Mayor of Moonachie,'' Mr. Koch said.

He mispronounced the name, calling it ''mah-NOO-chee'' instead of ''moo-NAH-key,'' but professed to have great affection for the town of 3,000, a few miles from Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands.

Mayor Frederick J. Dressler of Moonachie said, ''I'll take the bet - if Mayor Feinstein calls - but I'll make my own and not follow up what Koch did.'' The bet he proposes? ''I'll sing 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' if they win, and she'll have to sing our town song if the Giants win.'' The song, ''Moonachie,'' was written by a teacher for the town's 75th anniversary celebration in 1985. Looking at a 'Pig in a Poke'

Mayor Feinstein's deputy press secretary, Bill Strawn, said she decided not to follow through with the Moonachie offer after Mr. Koch turned her down. ''She was a little surprised because he agreed to bet last year and she sent him a dozen prime steaks after the Giants won,'' he said. ''She enjoys these wagers.''

Of his bet last year, Mr. Koch said, ''I was overly generous, but now I look at every pig in a poke.'' He said he has decided that what is in the poke belongs to New Jersey, not to New York.

Mr. Kean said ''it would be nice'' if the Jets and Giants would change their names - ''Jersey Jets and Giants has a nice ring to it'' - but he added, ''I call them that anyway, and always have.''

The teams have removed the ''NY'' logo from their helmets and call themselves ''the Jets'' and ''the Giants,'' although they are referred to as New York teams by the rest of the league.

That has rankled New Jersey officials, who placed a large decal on the 50-yard line in Giants Stadium that has a map of the state ringed by the words ''New Jersey Meadowlands.''

Mr. Kean said he is not looking for bets but he will accept them starting in the next round. ''I have to be careful; with two teams in the playoffs I might have to bet double or nothing.''

''Someday we're going to have two teams in the Super Bowl,'' he said. ''If that happens soon I'll have to sit somewhere in the middle of the stadium.''

Then the Redskins should change their name to the Landover Redskins.

Fed Ex field is in Landover, MD and their practice facility is in Ashburn, VA

Yes but they don't really hail from any state do they? They play for a district.

And? RFK was in the District.

So, there are more than one team in the NFL who misrepresent where they play or are from. What now? The people who say they should be the NJ Giants, do they say the same about these other teams?

I just never realized this was such a big deal.

So, there are more than one team in the NFL who misrepresent where they play or are from. What now? The people who say they should be the NJ Giants, do they say the same about these other teams?

I just never realized this was such a big deal.

Wait, I think we're on the same side. I'm just saying if people are going to make a big deal out of the Giants, make a big deal out of the other teams. I only used the Redskins thing cause you said the Cowboys still play in Texas, if not the city they are named after.

I think a better example is the Orange county Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles California USA

Wait, I think we're on the same side. I'm just saying if people are going to make a big deal out of the Giants, make a big deal out of the other teams. I only used the Redskins thing cause you said the Cowboys still play in Texas, if not the city they are named after.

I think a better example is the Orange county Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles California USA

:LMAO:

It appears we are...