SportsWrath

Watch the run on pass rushing DE's in the draft

BleedinBlue

Every head coach, and coach in the NFL had to be watching the game on Sunday night. Everyone of them had to notice that the way to beat the Pats was to have a first class pass rush.

My bet is....every team in the NFL is looking extra hard at pass rushing DE's and that their value went up substantially thanks to the Giants domination of the Pat's "pro-bowl" offensive line.

Ernie looks pretty damn brilliant drafting Osi, Tuck, and Mathias Kiwanuka. And to think Ernie took grief from all the "professional analyst (gag)" on draft days with such comments as, "I can't believe they took Umenyura this early in the draft (2nd round)...they could've gotten him as late as the 4th or 5th round" One analyst actually said, "the Giants are stupid..they could've gotten Umenyura easily in the 6th round". Or, "why would they go for Justin Tuck in the 3rd round....he's been hurt and lost a step at Notre Dame....and they already have Umenyura and Strahan...there's no place for him....bad move by the Giants". And of course last year, "how on earth can you justify drafting Kiwanuka when you already have two pro-bowl DE's and Justin Tuck sitting on the bench.....?"

I love it. I don't think the Giants ever got better than a C+ or at best, a B- from the "pro analysts". In fact, most analysts had the Giants packed in with the bottom 5 teams for worst draft....and 8 of those picks have now played on the winning end of a superbowl in their rookie year. Most of the same analysts had Oakland, Minnesota, and Detroit as having "superb" drafts rating them A- to A+.

Every head coach, and coach in the NFL had to be watching the game on Sunday night. Everyone of them had to notice that the way to beat the Pats was to have a first class pass rush.

My bet is....every team in the NFL is looking extra hard at pass rushing DE's and that their value went up substantially thanks to the Giants domination of the Pat's "pro-bowl" offensive line.

Ernie looks pretty damn brilliant drafting Osi, Tuck, and Mathias Kiwanuka. And to think Ernie took grief from all the "professional analyst (gag)" on draft days with such comments as, "I can't believe they took Umenyura this early in the draft (2nd round)...they could've gotten him as late as the 4th or 5th round" One analyst actually said, "the Giants are stupid..they could've gotten Umenyura easily in the 6th round". Or, "why would they go for Justin Tuck in the 3rd round....he's been hurt and lost a step at Notre Dame....and they already have Umenyura and Strahan...there's no place for him....bad move by the Giants". And of course last year, "how on earth can you justify drafting Kiwanuka when you already have two pro-bowl DE's and Justin Tuck sitting on the bench.....?"

I love it. I don't think the Giants ever got better than a C+ or at best, a B- from the "pro analysts". In fact, most analysts had the Giants packed in with the bottom 5 teams for worst draft....and 8 of those picks have now played on the winning end of a superbowl in their rookie year. Most of the same analysts had Oakland, Minnesota, and Detroit as having "superb" drafts rating them A- to A+.

What they will be looking for is "Justin Tuck" types. Fast enough to play DE and strong enough to handle lineman duties.

Seriously though, they think our pass rush was good on Sunday, can you imagine if Kiwi was in the line up, and if we had an upgrade in our linebackers. Mitchell and Torbor played well on Sunday but let's face it, there's better options out there.

What they will be looking for is "Justin Tuck" types. Fast enough to play DE and strong enough to handle lineman duties.

Seriously though, they think our pass rush was good on Sunday, can you imagine if Kiwi was in the line up, and if we had an upgrade in our linebackers. Mitchell and Torbor played well on Sunday but let's face it, there's better options out there.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, there are precious few DE/DT's that fit that description. Hence the reason we locked him up for 5 years. He would've never fallen to us had he not been hurt in his senior year at ND. Reports said they didn't know if he'd make it back to his old self. Well, not only did he make it back to his old self, but he improved.

I think the Giants will be looking to make a big upgrade in their linebackers this draft as well as defensive backs. It's a fun position to be in when you have few holes to fill and your team is so young. The future looks so bright...we need to be wearing shades! sunglasses.gif

Man, Accorsi does look like a genius. I had no problems whatsoever with the Tuck pick, but the Kiwi pick did make me scratch my head a little... especially after we moved him to LB. But seeing that he played DT in the "four aces" package, it makes total sense... we just needed a DC who wasn't retarded.

Things broke our way this year. Jacobs was a plow, but who knew he'd rush for 1K yards this year... and who thought Bradshaw would take over two games by himself? Who thought Diehl was gonna be an UPGRADE over Luke? Who knew this entire draft class would all play key parts in the season?

Accosi deserves credit to be sure, but Reese also provided a key draft that proved the spark to our postseason run.

Diehl did a really good job. Not amazing, not excellent, but really good. Limited penalties as you said. Some guys game him fits, like Adalius THomas after the first drive. But most games he did a fine job.

The Oline isn't amazing but it is a unit that has been together for a long time now and is comfortable with eachother. They are all late-20s early 30s except for Snee, who happens to be the best of the bunch.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, there are precious few DE/DT's that fit that description. Hence the reason we locked him up for 5 years. He would've never fallen to us had he not been hurt in his senior year at ND. Reports said they didn't know if he'd make it back to his old self. Well, not only did he make it back to his old self, but he improved.

I think the Giants will be looking to make a big upgrade in their linebackers this draft as well as defensive backs. It's a fun position to be in when you have few holes to fill and your team is so young. The future looks so bright...we need to be wearing shades! sunglasses.gif

sunglasses.gif

Seriously, the guy needs to stay on his feet. I think he should lose a little weight and get a little faster.

I'm not sure he can lose some weight.. the guy is mostly muscle. He did a great job picking up blitzes... and he does a great job smashing into defenders.. that by the time Bradshaw steps in, they're too beat up to defend.