SportsWrath

read Tiki's brain..

TrashTalker92

Im going to officially eat crow now. All the sticking up I did for him, Im totally over him now, and for obvoius reasons. I just keep putting it in a different perspective, like if he would have just waited 1 or 2 more years, this is where he'd be,. Then he'd be HOF no doubt. Cause I totally believe we would have had the same result, rushing wise. (No offense Ahmad). But this is what he chose and he was immature about it at the beginning. Not too mention this unit is special. Thanks for what you did do, but goodbye.

Here's the thing about Tiki: You know he's hoping we don't win. That pretty much says it all.

Not so. I was listening to the Barber Shop on Sirius tonight and he told Ronde that when he went to the Bucs-Giants playoff game he was rooting for the Giants but also for his brother to do well. He also said he still doesn't regret retiring because his heart wasn't in it anymore, and it was just time, and he knew it. He went on to say that he still loves the Giants organization, and is really happy for the team's success, especially for the old-timers like Toomer and Strahan. And finally, he said what is said about him is all media driven, from NY and then picked up by the national media and that it's bs. Adding that the only reason he gave criticism is because it was his job. Tiki didn't do anything that every person on this MB has multiple times over, except he is getting paid to do it as his job. Over and over again his statements have been amplified by the media and taken out of context. He remains very supportive of the Giants as he said so YET AGAIN tonight.

Not so. I was listening to the Barber Shop on Sirius tonight and he told Ronde that when he went to the Bucs-Giants playoff game he was rooting for the Giants but also for his brother to do well. He also said he still doesn't regret retiring because his heart wasn't in it anymore, and it was just time, and he knew it. He went on to say that he still loves the Giants organization, and is really happy for the team's success, especially for the old-timers like Toomer and Strahan. And finally, he said what is said about him is all media driven, from NY and then picked up by the national media and that it's bs. Adding that the only reason he gave criticism is because it was his job. Tiki didn't do anything that every person on this MB has multiple times over, except he is getting paid to do it as his job. Over and over again his statements have been amplified by the media and taken out of context. He remains very supportive of the Giants as he said so YET AGAIN tonight.

Ive said this all along, and KNOW its the case. I had no problem with what he said, and I didnt think it was that big a deal. He was immature to a point because he started talking, but not that big a deal. But I am over him now merely because Bradshaw and Jacobs have made me forget him and we're going to the SB. But I know he still pulls for us, he has to.

Tiki Barber 'ecstatic' for Giants

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 4:00 AM

Tiki Barber has no regrets about the timing of his retirement, even though he quit the NFL one year too early to join the Giants on their wild, Super Bowl ride.

In fact, Barber said he's "ecstatic" for the teammates he left behind and insisted during The Barber Shop last night on Sirius NFL Radio that he's been rooting for the Giants all along. Asked by his brother and co-host, Ronde, if he was "sad" the Giants were doing it without him, Tiki said "I'm not, dude. I really am not."

"It's interesting," Barber said. "My wife asked me that exact question: 'So you have to feel, even just a little bit of remorse that you left early.' I said, 'Honey, I'm trying to make myself think that and wish I was still there, but I'm not. I was done with football. In my heart I knew I didn't want to do it anymore. My passion is elsewhere."

Barber said he was happiest for Michael Strahan and Amani Toomer, the only two players left from the Giants' 2000 Super Bowl team. He also took aim at his many critics who he feels have labeled him "a Giant hater" because he has often been critical of his old team.

"I said what I said about the New York Giants because it's my job, but that doesn't mean that I'm not a supporter of the New York Giants," Barber said. "People think I'm a Giant hater. I'm not. I went down to Tampa to watch (Ronde) play (three weeks ago). I was rooting for the Giants."

He also seems to have a new-found respect for his old nemesis, Tom Coughlin. In discussing how the Giants have succeeded in the postseason so far, Barber - who once ripped Coughlin for being "out-coached" in the postseason in 2005 - said, "The last three weeks they have out-coached their opponents. Their game plans have been better than the teams they have played."

Barber bet on the wrong horse. He thought Coughlin was toast, and that Coughlin was going to going 8-8 or 7-9 and get canned. So, he felt a certain security to speak his mind about Coughlin.

But now that Coughlin has them in the Super Bowl, Tiki is engaging in some revisionist rhetoric. He's hoping that the Giants will win, and all his backsass will be forgotten in the feel-good afterglow.

But regardless of what he said before, and what he is saying now, you know this run must be absolutely KILLING him inside.

Barber bet on the wrong horse. He thought Coughlin was toast, and that Coughlin was going to going 8-8 or 7-9 and get canned. So, he felt a certain security to speak his mind about Coughlin.

But now that Coughlin has them in the Super Bowl, Tiki is engaging in some revisionist rhetoric. He's hoping that the Giants will win, and all his backsass will be forgotten in the feel-good afterglow.

But regardless of what he said before, and what he is saying now, you know this run must be absolutely KILLING him inside.

That's what you WANT to think. As much of the criticism he's given given Coughlin, he's also credited him for helping his career. As much as he's criticized Eli's leadership, he's also lauded him and shown faith in him fulfilling his potential. This thing has been media driven from the start and you and other Giant fans still want to villainize him and think the worst. I can tell you that I have a pretty good bs detector, and all the bs I've smelt was coming from the media and not from Tiki. Plus, Tiki has pretty much been saying the same thing since this thing has started, not just because the Giants are now going to the SuperBowl. Nothing revisionist about what he's saying, he's been saying it since the media blew this thing up in the first place.

That's what you WANT to think. As much of the criticism he's given given Coughlin, he's also credited him for helping his career. As much as he's criticized Eli's leadership, he's also lauded him and shown faith in him fulfilling his potential. This thing has been media driven from the start and you and other Giant fans still want to villainize him and think the worst. I can tell you that I have a pretty good bs detector, and all the bs I've smelt was coming from the media and not from Tiki. Plus, Tiki has pretty much been saying the same thing since this thing has started, not just because the Giants are now going to the SuperBowl. Nothing revisionist about what he's saying, he's been saying it since the media blew this thing up in the first place.

Actually, the complete opposite is true regarding what I want to think. I certainly don't look to villainize him.

I was a big Tiki Barber fan, right up to the aftermath of the Panthers loss, and gradually lost more respect for him into the following season, and through his retirement. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Tiki Barber was an incredible player, but a crappy teammate.

You think this Tiki-bashing is all media driven, but frankly it was Barber that lit the match and has repeatedly fanned the flames. He's a smart man, a media-savvy man, and he understands the what, when, and why of everything that he says into a microphone.

Actually, the complete opposite is true regarding what I want to think. I certainly don't look to villainize him.

I was a big Tiki Barber fan, right up to the aftermath of the Panthers loss, and gradually lost more respect for him into the following season, and through his retirement. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Tiki Barber was an incredible player, but a crappy teammate.

You think this Tiki-bashing is all media driven, but frankly it was Barber that lit the match and has repeatedly fanned the flames. He's a smart man, a media-savvy man, and he understands the what, when, and why of everything that he says into a microphone.

well said brotha. i also have love for tiki since he was running punt returns. He does blame everyone else but himself when times get hard.. you win as a team. you loss as a team. take Plex as a example, he was a cry baby last year, but this year, it's a totally different person. you see how much this team has changed after tiki???

well said brotha. i also have love for tiki since he was running punt returns. He does blame everyone else but himself when times get hard.. you win as a team. you loss as a team. take Plex as a example, he was a cry baby last year, but this year, it's a totally different person. you see how much this team has changed after tiki???

This is called the fallacy of composition. If a is true, and b is true, then a must be the cause of b. Not so. There are many factors why the team is different. We have a new defensive coordinator, and I can't remember right now if this is Gilbride's first or 2nd year either. Additionally, Tom Coughlin has dramatically changed his coaching style as well from last year to this. To me, this is the biggest factor into why the team has more chemistry, IMO. Eli has also matured this year and has taken more control of the team's leadership. And just to give you an idea, have you ever considered that had Tiki not retired that Coughlin might not have changed his coaching philosophy to be more player friendly? Have you not considered that Eli's growth might not have happened if Tiki was still on the team? Necessity sometimes is the greatest motivator. And Eli NEEDED to grow up leadership wise without Tiki around anymore. I have heard Tiki lightly criticize the coaching staff while he was still in uniform, after a tough loss. Nothing Shockey hasn't ever done. And he has also said that they were outplayed. I don't see a big deal in it. Coaches say the players need to execute better all the time. I have no problem with a player saying that they were outcoached. I never heard Tiki criticize Eli for a loss, even though many times there was ample room for that. Eli did not play well for a large part of last season, and by and large, Tiki was very supportive of him. Even in the Costas-Tiki segment on Football Night in America where Tiki had the infamous "comical" quote, he was OVERALL complimentary of Eli and said he believed that Eli would grow into his potential and be a great leader. But the media only took out the "comical" part (out of context) because they knew they could cause a controversy with it and create a news story on what was likely otherwise a light news day. And that is what I mean by media driven. I saw that segment, and what Tiki said was not that bad at all, and I've seen ten times worse by the very people on this board (including myself) who profess to be huge Giant fans. And he was getting paid for his opinions unlike us. It was his job to give analysis of the Giants that night, and he gave it in a thoughtful, honest manner that really was not nearly as controversial as ESPN made it out to be. Then there was the book. Again, people taking out one part about Coughlin without giving the entire picture of what he said. And fact of the matter is... who really cares? He was right! Coughlin was an a-hole. For the love of God he fined Strahan for being only 5 minutes early to a team meeting. You don't micro manage veterans that are clearly leaders of the team, like Strahan, Tiki, O'Hara, and Toomer. That was Coughlin's mistake last year and he learned from it. If Coughlin didn't think his approach was wrong, why did he change and become more player-friendly? It's because Tiki's criticism was valid and he knew it, and was in danger of losing the team had he not changed, JUST LIKE HE HAD DONE IN JACKSONVILLE. I know from a friend who was a big Jacksonville fan who also had a cousin and friends from the hood in the NFL, that free agents did not want to go to Jacksonville and play for Coughlin because of his reputation, and the players that were there wanted out. Take all of that for what you will.

Tiki's story has been consistent from the beginning of all this hoopla. He's always said he supports the team. Even John Mara consulted with Tiki after the season about what changes should be made if any and what he thought. IF MARA THOUGHT FOR A SECOND THAT TIKI WAS A LOCKERROOM CANCER AND A PROBLEM ON THE TEAM, WHY WOULD HE ASK FOR HIS INPUT, AND WHY WOULD THEY HAVE TRIED TO TALK HIM OUT OF RETIRING WHEN THEY KNEW THEY HAD A STUD WAITING IN THE WINGS? The answer is that what's being said about Tiki now is largely bs. He was a professional as a player, a team leader, and someone who had rightfully earned a voice in the league. I will always respect him for the player AND teammate that he was. Did he make mistakes? Sure. But I know the controversy that surrounds him and the negative attention was largely media created and don't fault Tiki at all for doing his job.