SportsWrath

ESPN FA artical

so-cal dub

Free agency opened with an explosion of phone calls to set up visits for the 308 NFL available players.

Teams couldn't contact agents of free agent players until 12:01 a.m. ET Friday. Once they did, visits were set up for later in the day. The Broncos, Seahawks, 49ers and Browns were among the most aggressive teams.

Bengals guard Eric Steinbach is heading to Cleveland for a visit, with secondary trips set up with Tampa Bay and Seattle. The Seahawks talked Chargers guard Kris Dielman into making Seattle his first stop. Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney will begin his free agency tour in Denver. If no deal is worked out there, Kerney is off to Seattle for a visit.

Patriots tight end Daniel Graham visits the Broncos on Friday and has the Seahawks on his list of visits for later in the weekend. The Vikings persuaded Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis to visit them first, but there could be weather problems. Most people thought Curtis would go to Detroit. The Vikings are also scheduling a trip for Giants tight end Visanthe Shiancoe for Friday.

Leonard Davis of the Cardinals hasn't scheduled a trip because negotiations were heating up with at least three NFC East teams, including the Dallas Cowboys.

Ravens tackle Tony Pathos scheduled a visit to Jacksonville for Friday. Falcons fullback Justin Griffith plans to go to Tampa Bay. The 49ers are expected to get a visit from Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas. The Redskins were expected to be working on Bills linebacker London Fletcher. Colts halfback Dominic Rhodes plans to visit the Giants. Bills cornerback Nate Clements was talking to the Browns, Titans, 49ers and several other teams.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Reese should at least be talking to Leonard Davis if nothing else. If he wasn't that would be extremely arrogant on his part to ignore it.

Its to bad I didn't get to see any Cardinal game this year. I would of love to see him play to make an honest evaluation.

Well what I have read is that he is too slow to play LT and would be better at a G or RT position. McKenzie has the RT position locked, Snee is a great G, and O'Hara is back so if Diehl moves to LT Seubert would move to LG.

We could always bring him in to be our blocking TE. "Declared as an eligable receiver, Leonard Davis the former #2 pick overall"

I read this some were? ;)

Davis has exceptional size and rare play strength. He stands an impressive 6-foot-7, 375 pounds and is not a fat player. He is a great run blocker who is able to maul and control his opponents with massive power and functional strength, and his huge wingspan makes it difficult for defenders to get around him in both the run and pass games. He is a very athletic player for his size and moves with ease in space, nimble enough to control his body and not become too top-heavy. Davis can also pull and run out in space. He uses his hands very well and has a strong punch and is a knee-bender who uses his leverage well. When he wants to, he can completely dominate opposing defenders. Despite playing at left tackle for many years he is best suited to play at guard. Davis has not been a very consistent player in his six years in the NFL, though, and does not always dominate on every play like he can and. He can be lazy and try to out muscle players over whom he has a size advantage, rather than using technique and feet to keep players at a disadvantage. He could improve both his pass sets and run blocking to be more punishing and dominant, and if Davis would ever get a consistently nasty temper and stop thinking so much he would set a new standard for the guard position. He still has some maturing to do, though when he wants to punish players he can and will. He has all the intangibles to be one of the best to ever play his position and if he is able to improve his control and balance in pass sets as well as in run blocking, he will greatly improve his game. He is a rare combination of talent, size and athletic ability that comes along once in a blue moon. Davis would be an All-Pro if he really went to work to increase his stamina and endurance and become a real student of the game. Overall, he is one of the best young talents in the NFL and will continue be a dominant player inside as a run blocker.

Just saw that the Giants were the one NFC East team that wasn't looking at Davis, because they are now just becoming interested. (This is all coming from me watching NFL Total Access so I don't have a link.)

Just saw that the Giants were the one NFC East team that wasn't looking at Davis, because they are now just becoming interested. (This is all coming from me watching NFL Total Access so I don't have a link.)

Its funny though, you would think the Cowboys, Redskins and Eagles would not be interested in a LT seeing that they all have Pro-Bowl players at that position.

lol...

It's been said before and this is totally off topic, but your avatar is f'n amazing. :worshippy:

thanks...It's my favorite Giants play of all-time. I'm not saying it because J. Montana was hurt. But the fact that L. Marshall fought through his block, got up and NEVER quit on the play. That's what Giants football is all about. Some where down the road, our players forgot that. :brooding:

Leonard Davis has left the buildingBy Grizz

Posted on Fri Mar 02, 2007 at 09:39:56 PM EST

The big man, Leonard Davis, is on the move and on his way to the Deadskins. He may check out the Giants while he's at it. I'm not crying that he left. It's possible that with the money already given to other offensive linemen combined with how much Davis wanted, the Cowboys just decided it would be better to pay Marc Colombo and settle the issue. Maybe they thought Colombo was asking for too much, but now that they see the lay of the land, the smart thing to do is make sure and get Colombo back. Then, they can decide about the guard spot later, possibly going for a kid in the draft or even spending more in free agency.

Oh yeah, the probability of Dallas getting a deal done with Davis tonight has now reached a new low of .01%.

Hat tip to Deke for the news.