SportsWrath

Hooooolllllleeeeeyyyy Shit

Chuck Wagon

This past week on the NFL Channel they have been counting down the 40 Super Bowls to #1 (Not sure who #1 will be ...probably the fucking 9'ers against somebody so they can jump on Montana's dick one last time)....anyway, yesterday was the 76 Steelers.

The program is set up to show - pretty much - game by game the entire season leading up to the Super Bowl.

So I'm watching the NFL Films highlights of these games and I'm not seeing seeing bullshit dancing to celebrate getting first downs and shit like that..I expected that......then I start noticing and remembering how it used to be and it really hits me...

There isn't a shot of a QB attempting a pass where some D Lineman isn't absolutely cleaning his clock....helmet to helment..forarm to the throat...whatever...if he is on the way to the QB...two steps out or less....BOOM....he keeps going whether he has the ball or not....and no flag.

Then you have WRs getting closelined, DB's get crack backed, linemen looking to step on each others hands...guys taking shots two and three steps out of boards....and no flags. They get back up and go to the huddle...no air flag throwing by the the guy that just go mugged...no looking to the ref.

I mean....they just took it like it was part of the game....and I guess it was. Its only been 30 years but the game has really changed.

The old timers weren't as fast, or big...Lambert was 210 and LC Greenwood was 225 to 230.....but Jesus H. Christ did they have mean and tough down. Given all the advantages of speed and year around work outs they have today, you hear people say the older NFL players couldnt' cut it today...after watching that and remembering....damn...I'm not too sure too many of todays players could have gone back and played the way those guys did it...on those either busted up natural turf fields or parking lot hard astro turf.

Anyway..if you get a chance check it out they do the programing very well.

C. Wagon

Now can you imagine Simms of the 86 Giants or Hostetler of the 90 Super Bowl runnig scared of Ray Lewis in 2000. Hell fucking no. The Giants would have laughed and said Matt Bahr hits harder than you ...you paper tiger motherfucker. I remember one sack of Jaworski by LT where it looks like he is trying to dismember the son of a bitch. Someone here has it as their avatar. Frightening to look at. :o

Now can you imagine Simms of the 86 Giants or Hostetler of the 90 Super Bowl runnig scared of Ray Lewis in 2000. Hell fucking no. The Giants would have laughed and said Matt Bahr hits harder than you ...you paper tiger motherfucker. I remember one sack of Jaworski by LT where it looks like he is trying to dismember the son of a bitch. Someone here has it as their avatar. Frightening to look at. :o

That was me...I should put it back on.

I have got the Theisman meets LT game on dvd Ill have to go back and see it again and take note of the late hits cheap shots and see if there are any air flags

It'd be interesting....the difference betweent he 70's and 80's. This 75' retrospective on the Steelers had alot of highlights from Steeler/Raiders games...Atchinson...Tatum....Hendrix....just brutal shit. Then the Super Bowl against the Cowboys where Bradsaw gets clocked on a TD Pass...and Cliff Harris stepping on hands after a tackle....no flag. I remember Lynn Swan as a flashy....smooth receiver....then you see the Raider games were they literally beat on him like he owed them money when he'd go over the middle...whether the ball was passed or not...and you realize he was one tough SOB.

C. Wagon

I like the old game better. Where the QB wasn't a "sissy" position.

I remember an old time game late 60's early 70's where the Raiders and the Chiefs were playing and I think (Hendrikson?) did a flying smash on an already prone Chief (quarterback?). Of course this started an onfield fight. Can you imagine that happening today....the guy would be banished to Guantanamo Bay so fast... :LMAO:

I remember an old time game late 60's early 70's where the Raiders and the Chiefs were playing and I think (Hendrikson?) did a flying smash on an already prone Chief (quarterback?). Of course this started an onfield fight. Can you imagine that happening today....the guy would be banished to Guantanamo Bay so fast... :LMAO:

ted hendricks? (the mad stork)

Not just that... players didn't get hurt as much... or played hurt. There weren't a million "supplements" that grew your muscles at lightspeed without also growing your connective tissues.

Can you ever remember a Giants team from the 80's where 17 guys ended up on injured reserve?

Not just that... players didn't get hurt as much... or played hurt. There weren't a million "supplements" that grew your muscles at lightspeed without also growing your connective tissues.

Can you ever remember a Giants team from the 80's where 17 guys ended up on injured reserve?

Hell no....but the only caveat was that they played hurt for too long many of the old time players. Also a lot of them were receiving pain and anti-inflammatory shots right on the field and in the lockerroom....so cats like Emmitt Smith could play with a separated (insane not caring about his future as a cripple 20 years down the line) shoulder and not feel a fucking thing. I watched that Real Sports expose the other night and I read some of the newspaper articles on the same subject; most of the big and small names that we can recall from the 70's and 80's are so broken down you would have thought they were men of my father's age (88) as opposed to guys in their 40's and 50's. And that whole horror show about the overall lack of disability payments should be the shame of the owners, league, and players union for not giving a fuck about the retired (used and discarded) players who built the NFL into a multi-billion dollar franchise. The average NFL player gets a pension of about $24,000; whereas the average player in baseball gets $145,000 in pension money. Not including the full medical benefits that baseball gives which are wrap around and comprehensive. :(

he average NFL player gets a pension of about $24,000; whereas the average player in baseball gets $145,000 in pension money. Not including the full medical benefits that baseball gives which are wrap around and comprehensive

That is because Baseball has the strongest union in all of America and all the contracts are guaranteed.

Mo Vaughn was still being paid by the Mets up until last year and all he was doing was drinking Colt 45,

eating buffalo wings and going to seedy strip clubs.

That is because Baseball has the strongest union in all of America and all the contracts are guaranteed.

Mo Vaughn was still being paid by the Mets up until last year and all he was doing was drinking Colt 45,

eating buffalo wings and going to seedy strip clubs.

:LMAO:

• 3 weeks later...
Someone call EA sports. I'd definately buy that game.

Hell I wish I was born in San Francisco De Marcoris....have a 3rd grade education...but be able to play shortstop for a solid 5 or 6 years in the majors....retire back to Santo Domingo and live like a shah (or at least a pasha) for the rest of my life. Most of us working stiffs would love to retire on a pension like that. My girl's god mother retired as a Detective (rank of Lieutenant) from the NYPD post 9/11 and her pension is somewhere around 95,000....not bad at all. But I think she, you, me and just about everyone else contributed a little more to society to receive that type of pension. :P:TD: