SportsWrath

NOOOOO Coughlin Coming Back w/ Possible Extension

Plow

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725854

The New York Giants are likely to retain embattled head coach Tom Coughlin, but a conference call originally scheduled for Tuesday afternoon to discuss his status was postponed as organizational meetings continued.

Coughlin will enter the final year of his contract in 2007 at a salary of $3 million, but speculation is that Giants ownership will extend his deal by at least one year to keep the veteran coach from being a lame duck. A source close to Coughlin told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he is "cautiously optimistic" the coach will be retained and that his contract will be extended.

But the postponement of the Tuesday conference call signaled there are still some elements to be resolved, possibly with the contract extension and also probably with staffing issues.

There would have to be a year extension. There's no lame duck coaches in this league. Players don't respect a coach (even less they do now, yes) that they know is not coming back. You would severly handcuff him.

Doesn't mean they'd keep him longer than this year, though. They'd eat the last year. Did it with Fassel too.

There would have to be a year extension. There's no lame duck coaches in this league. Players don't respect a coach (even less they do now, yes) that they know is not coming back. You would severly handcuff him.

Doesn't mean they'd keep him longer than this year, though. They'd eat the last year. Did it with Fassel too.

I never even thought of that. I was hoping that he would resign and a team like Oakland would take him and we would be able to get a draft pick or two out of it but I guess I can keep dreaming.

I never even thought of that. I was hoping that he would resign and a team like Oakland would take him and we would be able to get a draft pick or two out of it but I guess I can keep dreaming.

yup, that's a dream. i can't remember the last coach who resigned in the NFL without another job lined up.

At the beginning of the season, I would have been OK with Coughlin if he replaced his coordinators. But after all that has happened this year, he has no shot at keeping even a facade of control over this team.

I refuse to believe the owners can't see something this obvious.

At the beginning of the season, I would have been OK with Coughlin if he replaced his coordinators. But after all that has happened this year, he has no shot at keeping even a facade of control over this team.

They don't care, really.

It has always been a character flaw of mine to have more faith in my fellow man than is warranted. :doh: