SportsWrath

Great News

BigBlueArrington

Woodson has surgery on broken leg

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson had surgery Tuesday to repair his fractured right fibula and will miss the regular-season finale against Kansas City.

Woodson also could miss the first two weeks of the playoffs. Woodson had a surgery similar to that of teammate Tory James, who also broke his right fibula this year. James had surgery Dec. 12 and returned to practice Tuesday for the first time. He was originally slated to be sidelined from one-to-three weeks.

Coach Bill Callahan said the decision for Woodson to have surgery was made in the hopes of getting the four-time Pro Bowler back at some point in the playoffs.

3 weeks? I'd be happy to get Pettigout back in 5!!!!! :TU:

Woodson has surgery on broken leg

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson had surgery Tuesday to repair his fractured right fibula and will miss the regular-season finale against Kansas City.

Woodson also could miss the first two weeks of the playoffs. Woodson had a surgery similar to that of teammate Tory James, who also broke his right fibula this year. James had surgery Dec. 12 and returned to practice Tuesday for the first time. He was originally slated to be sidelined from one-to-three weeks.

Coach Bill Callahan said the decision for Woodson to have surgery was made in the hopes of getting the four-time Pro Bowler back at some point in the playoffs.

3 weeks? I'd be happy to get Pettigout back in 5!!!!! :TU:

I still think he'll be out for the rest of the season. Remember Stray was supposed to miss 2-4. 2 being obviously very optimistic. I cant do the math in my drunken haze right now, but I believe he's been out for 4 now..and counting. :unsure:

Oakland cornerback Tory James will be back in the starting lineup for the Raiders this week.

With four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson out after undergoing surgery to repair a broken fibula in his right leg, the Raiders need every available body for their regular season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

James started the first 13 games of the year but hasn't played since Dec. 12 when he had his own leg surgery. Like Woodson, James had a cracked right fibula and underwent a 45-minute operation to have a stabilizing plate inserted into his leg.

James practiced this week for the first time since having the procedure and has been given the go-ahead to play against the Chiefs.

"He's ready to go and he's cleared to play," Raiders coach Bill Callahan said. "He looked good. In terms of knowing if he's ready to go, does he appear like he's the same as he was (before the surgery)? It appears that he is, yes."

James originally injured himself during Oakland's 26-20 win over the New York Jets on Dec. 2, though the full extent of the damage wasn't discovered until later. He needed a painkilling injection to make it through the Raiders' game against San Diego the following week before X-rays revealed the cracked fibula.

Team doctors who performed the surgery on James originally estimated he could be sidelined 1-to-3 weeks but he was back on the field after just 12 days. Even James himself was surprised at his quick recovery.

"They said it would be between one to three weeks and that didn't seem right to me," said James, who is second on the Raiders with four interceptions. "But they were right on. I'm amazed."

The Raiders were so impressed with James' speedy recovery that they convinced Woodson to have a similar operation. Oakland's hopes are that Woodson, who has already missed six games this season, will be able to return in the playoffs.

James said he could have played during the Raiders' win over Denver but said the extra time off helped.

"At no time did I think I would miss the whole season and the playoffs," James said. "I knew I'd be back out there. I felt like if I really had to play (against the Broncos) I could have played but I didn't have to."

WTF!!!!! 12 days? :confused:

Umm, does the giants have the numbers to Tory James' doctor?

I dont think it matters. In fact I think James, the coaching staff, the trainers, and the doctors are morons. A, basically, broken leg isnt what I would want to be running on after 3 weeks. And I'm not a doctor, but that is moronic. He could possibly end his career.

No thanks, but I'd rather Luke be guaranteed healthy, for his sake, when he returns.

I dont think it matters. In fact I think James, the coaching staff, the trainers, and the doctors are morons. A, basically, broken leg isnt what I would want to be running on after 3 weeks. And I'm not a doctor, but that is moronic. He could possibly end his career.

No thanks, but I'd rather Luke be guaranteed healthy, for his sake, when he returns.

:brooding:

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.

The fibula isn't a weight bearing bone. It wouldn't be career threatening.

Offensive linemen put a lot of pressure on their legs to hold their stance. the power comes from the leg. He needs his legs to be completely healthy.

I don't expect him back.

Offensive linemen put a lot of pressure on their legs to hold their stance. the power comes from the leg. He needs his legs to be completely healthy.

I don't expect him back.

Every player in every sport needs their legs. Power comes from there yes. The fibula is not a key bone because it's not weight bearing. If it were the tibia or femur, that would be a much different story.

Never said he was going to be back.

I still think he'll be out for the rest of the season. Remember Stray was supposed to miss 2-4. 2 being obviously very optimistic. I cant do the math in my drunken haze right now, but I believe he's been out for 4 now..and counting. :unsure:

2 weeks and after this Sunday probably 3.

The difference between Woodson and Petigout is that Petigout has 320 pounds to keep standing all game long. That's a lot harder than the weight Woodson holds.

Every player in every sport needs their legs. Power comes from there yes. The fibula is not a key bone because it's not weight bearing. If it were the tibia or femur, that would be a much different story.

Never said he was going to be back.

I never said you did. I was offering my opinion.

Considering James is on the Bengals now and perfectly healthy, I guess it wasn't career threatening. He hasn't been a Raider since 2002, which I guess is when this story was printed.