SportsWrath

I guess this falls under "You don't know what you have

NeMesiS

I know through out the years I've harsh by Lukes performance. Especially after the Seattle game last year...But Luke was having a Pro-Bowl year...I mean, except for the Eagles game, he was having a monster year. I actually feel kinda bad for the guy. Throught out his career he's alway been critizes by his performance, which if you think about it, it hasn't been that bad. And finally, when he is having a great year...he breaks his leg.

So here's to Luke...Thank you, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I know through out the years I've harsh by Lukes performance. Especially after the Seattle game last year...But Luke was having a Pro-Bowl year...I mean, except for the Eagles game, he was having a monster year. I actually feel kinda bad for the guy. Throught out his career he's alway been critizes by his performance, which if you think about it, it hasn't been that bad. And finally, when he is having a great year...he breaks his leg.

Somewhat true, but don't forget the last time we played against Chicago, Alex Brown whipped Luke for 4 sacks.... something like what he did to Whitfield. I'm not saying that Whitfield will be as effective as Luke was or wasn't depending on your view of him (personally I really always thought of him as a right tackle playing on the left side because the Giants never found someone really dominant so they just promoted what they had within, additionally I thought he was a false-start machine but he sort of got that squashed this season). Nonetheless I wish that he gets well soon as I really don't see a servicable replacement on this roster (Whitfield is too old & Guy Whimper looks like too much of a project at this point).

I'm sorry, and I know I'm probably not in the majority, but 8 good games don't really make up for the previous 2 years of sloppy play. It's been 4 years from 2002, so I don't really think praise is really in order.

That being said he was having a good season, and it was nice to actually have drives not killed by false start penalties.

No matter what I think of him as a player, it sucks that he was injured, and I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

I'm sorry, and I know I'm probably not in the majority, but 8 good games don't really make up for the previous 2 years of sloppy play. It's been 4 years from 2002, so I don't really think praise is really in order.

That being said he was having a good season, and it was nice to actually have drives not killed by false start penalties.

No matter what I think of him as a player, it sucks that he was injured, and I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

Luke has been fine the last few years. Eli's blind side has been brilliantly defended since he came into the league. Luke's blocking has gotten better but the only real improvement that is noticable is his lack of stupid penalties.

Luke has been fine the last few years. Eli's blind side has been brilliantly defended since he came into the league. Luke's blocking has gotten better but the only real improvement that is noticable is his lack of stupid penalties.

Pettigout has never been a "brilliant" pass-blocker, along with the rest of the Giant's line. That line's strength is run blocking, and Luke plays a terrific role in that. But pass-blocking? He is definitely beatable with a speed rush from the outside. Don't take that as meaning that I think he's terrible, I just don't think he's exceptional, and I don't think he's the best player on the line.

And you can't ignore the fact that over the past two years those false starts have cost us first downs, touchdowns, or at the very least, put us in passing situations. That causes the team to needlessly struggle for yardage it already had. By adding plays to the drive to recover yardage already taken, you are increasing the risk of injury to every player on the offense. Of course there is risk of injury on every play, but for that reason the game should be played as efficeintly as possible. With Luke's penchant for false starts the previous 2 years, that has been impossible.

Pettigout has never been a "brilliant" pass-blocker, along with the rest of the Giant's line. That line's strength is run blocking, and Luke plays a terrific role in that. But pass-blocking? He is definitely beatable with a speed rush from the outside. Don't take that as meaning that I think he's terrible, I just don't think he's exceptional, and I don't think he's the best player on the line.

And you can't ignore the fact that over the past two years those false starts have cost us first downs, touchdowns, or at the very least, put us in passing situations. That causes the team to needlessly struggle for yardage it already had. By adding plays to the drive to recover yardage already taken, you are increasing the risk of injury to every player on the offense. Of course there is risk of injury on every play, but for that reason the game should be played as efficeintly as possible. With Luke's penchant for false starts the previous 2 years, that has been impossible.

I wish we had him....but you are definitely correct about Luke "The Human False Start" Pettigout. Just thinking about the games he has cost us in the past, just numbs the mind. Also, you ever notice that the Giants can never attempt to draw the other team off sides. Even knowing the snap count you know Luke would be the one hit with the false start penalty....it is these kind of intangibles that win and/or lose ball games. But again he is better than the reclamation project they put there to replace him.

Pass protection is not his specialty, but he is above average the last two years. I totally agree, his false start penalties were killing drives and maybe cost games. But make no mistake about it. Luke has greatly improved in that department and looked like he was having the year we all knew he was capable of having.

I just think looking at his replacement play on Sunday, that this is a major blow to our team. ( I'm sure you knew that) But I was just trying to emphesize (sp) that this injury can hurt us in more ways than one.

Let's give Whitfield a chance guys. It was one game. He's been in the league for years, and was a starter in Atlanta for 10. He didn't come down in the last rainfall, and if nothing else, he forces defensive go spend at least 2-3 more seconds to get around that big ass of his.

Let's give Whitfield a chance guys. It was one game. He's been in the league for years, and was a starter in Atlanta for 10. He didn't come down in the last rainfall, and if nothing else, he forces defensive go spend at least 2-3 more seconds to get around that big ass of his.

I'm not saying anything bad about Whitfield. I'm just saying how important Luke was to this team, this year.

aside form his false starts the guy was an above avg player, in one of the most improtant positions on the team...

Luke's false starts have been killers over the years, but there are some teams who have the problem of not having their LT committ stupid penalties, but having a DE blow right by their LT and putting their QB in serious danger. From Petigout's side, Eli has rarely been in danger. And there have been several times where Luke has been part of a counter play that gave Tiki a hole for a nice 16 yard gain.

He's not the best player on the line for sure. Snee is. But he may be the most valuable. Unfortunately, that is how it is. You're gonna see a lot more of two WR sets with Shockey and Seubert as the two TEs and Tiki or Jacobs at RB.

Luke's false starts have been killers over the years, but there are some teams who have the problem of not having their LT committ stupid penalties, but having a DE blow right by their LT and putting their QB in serious danger. From Petigout's side, Eli has rarely been in danger. And there have been several times where Luke has been part of a counter play that gave Tiki a hole for a nice 16 yard gain.

He's not the best player on the line for sure. Snee is. But he may be the most valuable. Unfortunately, that is how it is. You're gonna see a lot more of two WR sets with Shockey and Seubert as the two TEs and Tiki or Jacobs at RB.

Testify!!!

I have never attacked LP's run-blocking ability, and on this thread said that it was terrific. I'd have to be a fool to do that, that's always been his strength.

I have said that he was beatable in pass blocking, and that his stupid penalties in the past have hurt the team. That is not the same as running around screaming "Pettigout sucks," although there have been quite a few games he has brought me to that level. None of them happened this year, however, and he had been playing way above average this season. So, this year especially, I'm bummed that he's out of the picture, let alone that he's out of the picture due to an injury.

But as a complete body of work to date, you have to admit that over the course of seven years he has been up and down; and more down than up over the last few years. Whether or not that is due to injuries, mental errors, or whatever else you care to add, that's the reality.

So long as you have a right-handed QB, the LT is going to be the most valuable, obviously. Just as importantly, the value of Pettigout increases knowing we are kind of caught in a transition period with our tackles: Whitfield is pretty damn old, and Whimper just isn't ready, as far as we know.

I've always thought Whitfield would be fine to take over a game or two as he has in the past, but he's pretty much going to have to empty the tank to get through the rest of the season. That's what has me worried. Naturally, there is going to be a degradation of the level of play at that position--if there wasn't, then Whitfield should have been the starter in the first place.

Oh, by the way, this is my 3,000th post. Bow to me. ;)

I have never attacked LP's run-blocking ability, and on this thread said that it was terrific. I'd have to be a fool to do that, that's always been his strength.

I have said that he was beatable in pass blocking, and that his stupid penalties in the past have hurt the team. That is not the same as running around screaming "Pettigout sucks," although there have been quite a few games he has brought me to that level. None of them happened this year, however, and he had been playing way above average this season. So, this year especially, I'm bummed that he's out of the picture, let alone that he's out of the picture due to an injury.

But as a complete body of work to date, you have to admit that over the course of seven years he has been up and down; and more down than up over the last few years. Whether or not that is due to injuries, mental errors, or whatever else you care to add, that's the reality.

So long as you have a right-handed QB, the LT is going to be the most valuable, obviously. Just as importantly, the value of Pettigout increases knowing we are kind of caught in a transition period with our tackles: Whitfield is pretty damn old, and Whimper just isn't ready, as far as we know.

I've always thought Whitfield would be fine to take over a game or two as he has in the past, but he's pretty much going to have to empty the tank to get through the rest of the season. That's what has me worried. Naturally, there is going to be a degradation of the level of play at that position--if there wasn't, then Whitfield should have been the starter in the first place.

Oh, by the way, this is my 3,000th post. Bow to me. ;)

All Hail the Shan in Shah; The Light of East; The Heir to the Peacock Throng...Shah Reza Pahlavi...oh sorry fishgutmartyr. :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: