SportsWrath

World Series

GorillaNJ

Is anyone watching the WS? I have not watched more then 2 pitches so far... From the rateings it is the lowest rated WS in a LONG time.

Those Tommy Lasorda Comercials make me want to watch the WS LESS... Fuck that old man- have a slim fast and watch out for flying bats

It's the World Series. How could you guys be baseball fans and not watch it? You watch the Super Bowl no matter who's in it, don't you?

The superbowl is one game that starts around 7 on a sunday. Everyone has superbowl parties, it is more then just a football game it is a cultural event.

The World Series is up to 7 games that all start well after 8, during the week. i have never been to a World Series party that did not include a local team. WTF cares about Detroit and St.Louis?

Maybee if it goes to a Game 7 I would watch it but otherwise :TD:

I've been watching it.

I have mixed feelings about who I want to win.

I want St. Louis to get their asses kicked for obvious reasons, but I also want them to win so that at least it wasn't a fluke that they beat the Mets. But watching the Series leads me to believe that the Mets could have beaten Detroit, who doesn't look very good right now, so I hate watching the Cards do well. But then I want the Cards to win so all the Yankee fans on the Giants message board will have their feet in their mouths (what else is new?), because they were saying all year that the NL could never beat the AL in the World Series.

I'm all screwed up inside!!

And still feeling :cwy: about my Mets.......

When i can, unfortunately i missed alot so far due to work or falling asleep before it starts (I work nights0

They were talking about the ratings on mike and Mike this morning and i sent them an email giving my thoughts on it.

Basically, i said this: Major League Baseball has so much embraced the Yankees as the face of the sport, and the Redsox as their rival, that anything not New York related is a let down in the WS. A world series with the Redsox and/or Mets would have been successfull because they have a connection to the Yankees and New York. Todays fans want drama and a story line with their baseball, so far this year we have rain and pine tar, not exactly the Sox coming back from 0-3. Out of curiosity I wonder if someone could find the ratings of the Yankees/Tigers series and compare the ratings to the other playoff series.

Not saying todays fans aren't real fans, but all year long there is a build up of the Yankees and this year the Mets, and the 2 teams in the WS this year probly weren't even the best teams in their divisions.

If baseball wants to promote the game to attract fans they need to promote the cities the teams play in, make a personal connection to the fans and their cities. In football, if you think about it the cities of the teams are a huge deal. You hear Bears, you think Chicago, you hear Sainst, you think New Orleans, you hear Cowboys, you think Dallas. The cities are a big deal to the teams and personal pride of that city is on the line each week. In baseball you basically have New York and Not New York, and baseball has embarsed that.

When i can, unfortunately i missed alot so far due to work or falling asleep before it starts (I work nights0

They were talking about the ratings on mike and Mike this morning and i sent them an email giving my thoughts on it.

Basically, i said this: Major League Baseball has so much embraced the Yankees as the face of the sport, and the Redsox as their rival, that anything not New York related is a let down in the WS. A world series with the Redsox and/or Mets would have been successfull because they have a connection to the Yankees and New York. Todays fans want drama and a story line with their baseball, so far this year we have rain and pine tar, not exactly the Sox coming back from 0-3. Out of curiosity I wonder if someone could find the ratings of the Yankees/Tigers series and compare the ratings to the other playoff series.

Not saying todays fans aren't real fans, but all year long there is a build up of the Yankees and this year the Mets, and the 2 teams in the WS this year probly weren't even the best teams in their divisions.

If baseball wants to promote the game to attract fans they need to promote the cities the teams play in, make a personal connection to the fans and their cities. In football, if you think about it the cities of the teams are a huge deal. You hear Bears, you think Chicago, you hear Sainst, you think New Orleans, you hear Cowboys, you think Dallas. The cities are a big deal to the teams and personal pride of that city is on the line each week. In baseball you basically have New York and Not New York, and baseball has embarsed that.

I think you have a point but it's kind of the tail wagging the dog. yankees-redsox is what people want to see so MLB promotes that. Keith olberman said "if baseball was invented today, it would have zero chance of succeeding." baseball depends on its history and generations passing it on. on this board, if you ask the younger guys, they'll tell you that their dads or a family member got them into it 99/100 times. whereas theres a lot of folks who get hooked on football just by watching.

But this series is very vanilla. No story lines, no personalities. Pujols is a quiet star,Kenny Rogers is not compelling. The games are being played without excitement. Last nite I heard both teams were batting under 200!!!. I'm watching, but I'm flippin' and dozin'