SportsWrath

Perry Fewell: Greatest Defensive Coordinator in the NFL Today

Tempest

I REALLY don't like Fewell. I frankly wanted him gone after the SB season. I just think he brings absolutely nothing to the table. His defenses are just vanilla and purely reactionary. Do we ever do anything that an offense has to gameplan for? It drives me nuts. You've gotta try to dictate the terms of the game. You can't just sit back and react to what the other team is doing. Give me someone with creativity, planning and a backbone, whose schemes will inevitably not always work, over this guy who doesn't scheme at all.

Our defense will never really cause too much trouble for a decently constructed offense that has a gameplan.

-Z

This last game was exactly what I was talking about.

We took the lead in the first half, defense gives it up in the very next series, which included a 3rd and 6 and a 3rd and 9.

The offense moves a little bit, stalls, but the punt puts Dallas 90+ yards away. You would think that we would get the ball back in decent field position, even if they get a first down. Not only do they give up points, Dallas marches down for a TD.

The offense finally scores a 3rd TD--5 minutes left. A chance to tie, if the defense gets off of the field--of course, it doesn't.

They choked in nearly every key series they faced.

A microcosm of Fewell's career. One of the major contributing factors to Manning's multiple 4th quarter victories in 2011.

The difference is the offense isn't good enough to compensate.

This last game was exactly what I was talking about.

We took the lead in the first half, defense gives it up in the very next series, which included a 3rd and 6 and a 3rd and 9.

The offense moves a little bit, stalls, but the punt puts Dallas 90+ yards away. You would think that we would get the ball back in decent field position, even if they get a first down. Not only do they give up points, Dallas marches down for a TD.

The offense finally scores a 3rd TD--5 minutes left. A chance to tie, if the defense gets off of the field--of course, it doesn't.

They choked in nearly every key series they faced.

A microcosm of Fewell's career. One of the major contributing factors to Manning's multiple 4th quarter victories in 2011.

The difference is the offense isn't good enough to compensate.

Perfectly said.

Fewell's defense requires the other team to make a mistake, and we saw it happen once, when Prince had nice coverage and Dez Bryant tripped.

But for an entire game.....against a veteran QB like Romo, playing at home, with the offensive line and the weapons he has, that's not a good equation.

Rolle's too important in coverage, that's why they blitzed Demps.

Which he promptly whiffed and Romo converted a key 3rd down. Right now the Giants secondary is downright awful which is ashame because on paper before Week 1 it should have been a strength. DRC, Prince, Thurmond, McBride and Bowman at the corners. One is hobbled, one is on the rise (Dez is the best wide out in the game right now, that guy is a beast) 2 are out for the year and Bowman shouldn't be a starter, at best he's a swiss army knife...he can do alot but none of it great.

We thought we'd have two safeties coming into the year. We have one.

I'm beginning to wonder if these guys study film or just watch it and forget. Romo has patented that outside spin move and he's been using it for years. Why do we fall for it multiple times a game like it's something new? It's literally like his signature move now. Just a microcosm of the issues with our defense.

I'm beginning to wonder if these guys study film or just watch it and forget. Romo has patented that outside spin move and he's been using it for years. Why do we fall for it multiple times a game like it's something new? It's literally like his signature move now. Just a microcosm of the issues with our defense.

Generally speaking most football players aren't very smart... And our DC reflects that image too.

Generally speaking most football players aren't very smart... And our DC reflects that image too.

I understand that... but at some point you've gotta catch on to it. I believe it was Einstein that said "The Definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." That's an indictment on both the players and the DC. Fewell and the rest of the defensive staff are right on the sidelines with these guys. Are they not looking at pictures like the QBs?

If we have Will Hill back there next to Rolle this team would be a defensive force in the back 7.

Demps, Brown, Fenner, Behre all suck so badly that it's like playing with 10 men on the field when any are out there. Sometimes it's like playing with 9 guys

I understand that... but at some point you've gotta catch on to it. I believe it was Einstein that said "The Definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." That's an indictment on both the players and the DC. Fewell and the rest of the defensive staff are right on the sidelines with these guys. Are they not looking at pictures like the QBs?

No disagreement there... The fanbase had had it with Gilbride and finally the Giants let him go... hopefully this is the year where we find a solid DC.

Fewell has to go....sorry, but Justin Tuck isn't around anymore to go into Beast Mode in the playoffs......sick of watching him try to stop the run with 3 safeties, too. Not sure what he's seeing from Kiwinuka and not seeing from Moore or Ayers. Don't know why the only guy (Hankins) who can push around a guard isn't on the field on 3rd and long, especially when you can't rush 5 in Fewell's precious system.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/10/giants_snap_counts_vs_cowboys_what_they_mean_for_dominique_rodgers-cromartie_and_co.html

DEFENSE
LB Jacquian Williams 62
S Antrel Rolle 62
S Quintin Demps 61
DE Jason Pierre-Paul 60
CB Prince Amukamara 59
DE Mathias Kiwanuka 55
LB Jameel McClain 53
CB Zack Bowman 45
DT Johnathan Hankins 40
DT Mike Patterson 32
DT Markus Kuhn 23
LB Devon Kennard 22
DE Robert Ayers 19
LB Jon Beason 17
S Stevie Brown 15
CB Jayron Hosley 15
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 15
DT Cullen Jenkins 11
DE Damontre Moore 10
CB Chandler Fenner 4
LB Mark Herzlich 2

That would be great

I don't know... Does being a great player translate into being a great coach? Probably not always but at this point almost any other would be an upgrade over Fewel. Like Fish pointed out, given the amount of talent on that side of the ball we should be dominating games.

I don't know... Does being a great player translate into being a great coach? Probably not always but at this point almost any other would be an upgrade over Fewel. Like Fish pointed out, given the amount of talent on that side of the ball we should be dominating games.

Johnson has been on the Patriots staff since 2000 and is now the DLine coach in Buffalo, where their 8th in total run D. Can't believe nobody has offered him a DC job yet

Johnson has been on the Patriots staff since 2000 and is now the DLine coach in Buffalo, where their 8th in total run D. Can't believe nobody has offered him a DC job yet

Nas....the comments from BB25 is what I should have pointed out....Pepper is not only a former Giant, but he's a product of the Belichick coaching tree. I think he'd be a great fit for the Giants staff....would be a dream job that I think he is prepared for as a former player and now a long-time coach.

Nas....the comments from BB25 is what I should have pointed out....Pepper is not only a former Giant, but he's a product of the Belichick coaching tree. I think he'd be a great fit for the Giants staff....would be a dream job that I think he is prepared for as a former player and now a long-time coach.

I can see a problem if he was to be hired but fails miserably... imagine the pickle the FO would find themselves in having to fire a guy like him. Besides Belicheck's defenses aren't know for being that great anyway.