SportsWrath

Sunday night Giants vs. Eagles

Blindgreed1

It's not like the talking made the Eagles play with anymore passion, they are just better

Actually yes... talking does give additional motivation... and on the flip side the trash talker is by definition distracted from focusing on the task on hand. And no the Eagles are not as good as they played Sunday night.. no one is. They had a great game plan and our DC and OC failed to adjust... I can give the OC a pass he's still learning the new position but Fewel failed to light a fire under his players' asses... failed to throw foles off balance and the result is what we saw.

Actually yes... talking does give additional motivation... and on the flip side the trash talker is by definition distracted from focusing on the task on hand. And no the Eagles are not as good as they played Sunday night.. no one is.

Sure, you can raise somebody's motivation (and at the same time, the pressure on them) by talking trash, but what the fuck are you talking about with this 'by definition' crap? I've never known any successful guy who isn't to some degree a shit talker, and you don't get there without being focused. Everybody is different, but for the guys that keep their edge by putting their own rep on the line, I say go for it. You can't tell me that Richard Sherman isn't focused, that Aaron Rodgers isn't focused, that Phillip Rivers isn't focused, that John Randle wasn't focused, that Reggie White wasn't focused, that Michael Strahan wasn't focused...I can go on and on naming players now and then that constantly run their mouths on and off the field, each in their own way. Some tell you how they're going to beat you, some say 'nice hit' then laugh in your face, and some even prayed for your soul, but its all the same. Its all shit talk, and if it works for them, its all good as far as I'm concerned. Its not 'by definition' a distraction.

I don't believe for one second that a little pre-game smack was needed to motivate the Eagles --- if it did, that would be very damning for the Eagles. But like I said, I don't think that was the case. My concern is that the team motivated by the media here was the Giants. They got hot, got media hype, and took it like a pre-game hummer...feels great, right? Until its game time and the media's happy ending left them feeling some afterglow drowsiness. And that... is damning.

Sure, you can raise somebody's motivation (and at the same time, the pressure on them) by talking trash, but what the fuck are you talking about with this 'by definition' crap? I've never known any successful guy who isn't to some degree a shit talker, and you don't get there without being focused. Everybody is different, but for the guys that keep their edge by putting their own rep on the line, I say go for it. You can't tell me that Richard Sherman isn't focused, that Aaron Rodgers isn't focused, that Phillip Rivers isn't focused, that John Randle wasn't focused, that Reggie White wasn't focused, that Michael Strahan wasn't focused...I can go on and on naming players now and then that constantly run their mouths on and off the field, each in their own way. Some tell you how they're going to beat you, some say 'nice hit' then laugh in your face, and some even prayed for your soul, but its all the same. Its all shit talk, and if it works for them, its all good as far as I'm concerned. Its not 'by definition' a distraction.

I don't believe for one second that a little pre-game smack was needed to motivate the Eagles --- if it did, that would be very damning for the Eagles. But like I said, I don't think that was the case. My concern is that the team motivated by the media here was the Giants. They got hot, got media hype, and took it like a pre-game hummer...feels great, right? Until its game time and the media's happy ending left them feeling some afterglow drowsiness. And that... is damning.

Barry Sanders... Peyton Manning come to mind... trash talkers aren't really that good.. just hyped up media bullshit.

Barry Sanders... Peyton Manning come to mind... trash talkers aren't really that good.. just hyped up media bullshit.

Peyton Manning isn't a trash talker? "Damn it Donald!", he sure as hell is, on the field. He's probably far meaner to his own teammates than he is the other team.

I'll give you Barry Sanders. The man was the polar opposite of a Peyton Manning in terms of personality.

Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Micheal Strahan, Tom Brady, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith Sr (fuck he's having a great year in Baltimore, and the list can go on and on with trash talkers, who have won the big game or had a good/great career.

Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Micheal Strahan, Tom Brady, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith Sr (fuck he's having a great year in Baltimore, and the list can go on and on with trash talkers, who have won the big game or had a good/great career.

Odds on they'd be even better if they'd invested that energy on playing instead of talking.

Odds on they'd be even better if they'd invested that energy on playing instead of talking.

Some of those guys are all-time greats, so what evidence do you have that they weren't focused on playing the game? Everybody is unique, but I think you could make a stronger case that smack talk is a good self-motivating technique.

Some of those guys are all-time greats, so what evidence do you have that they weren't focused on playing the game? Everybody is unique, but I think you could make a stronger case that smack talk is a good self-motivating technique.

Dude settle down this is no the P&R section... my evidence is it takes energy to trash talk... focus that energy on playing and you will be more productive... besides trash talking is classless.. I don't care what anyone says. Barry Sanders remains the guy who carried himself with class and dignity... and for that he's my all time favorite.

Dude settle down this is no the P&R section... my evidence is it takes energy to trash talk... focus that energy on playing and you will be more productive... besides trash talking is classless.. I don't care what anyone says. Barry Sanders remains the guy who carried himself with class and dignity... and for that he's my all time favorite.

I don't think it really motivates or demotivates...a player... I just think its in poor taste to smack talk publicly...

"settle down"? LOL, what? I think you're reading a different tone into my post than I intended.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it across the board, I'm just saying I don't think its a big deal. And if it works for a player, like if you've got a John Randle type on your team, then I think you let the man do what he wants to do.

And sort of a side point, a lot of the stuff that comes off as public smack talk is just shit that the media stirs up.

Looking back at this past week, there was almost as much shit coming out of Philadelphia, and they even had a team-sponsored smack video, so I really don't think a case can be made that the back and forth between the teams had any bearing on the outcome.

i'm on team "don't talk trash" but the impact of trash talking on an opposing team or one's own individual career is not something we can quantify

Agreed. I can only speak from personal experience.. I was never a trash talker but when I did it was light-hearted so no ill intentions were there.. however when I did I fucked up on plays... I started this ritual of chewing on sunflower seeds... just grab a handful and chew on them at the same time and not spit the shells.. kept them in my cheek... whatever it was... it was a calming effect that made me quiet and focused... and every time I did that I played well... oh those heroic pick up games lol.

"settle down"? LOL, what? I think you're reading a different tone into my post than I intended.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it across the board, I'm just saying I don't think its a big deal. And if it works for a player, like if you've got a John Randle type on your team, then I think you let the man do what he wants to do.

And sort of a side point, a lot of the stuff that comes off as public smack talk is just shit that the media stirs up.

Looking back at this past week, there was almost as much shit coming out of Philadelphia, and they even had a team-sponsored smack video, so I really don't think a case can be made that the back and forth between the teams had any bearing on the outcome.

Agreed but that's what they do... when your trophy case is empty, you have to fill the void somehow... they're good at it.. we suck at it. We're good at bringing trophies home :D (P.S. I think what I just did is trash talking lol)