SportsWrath

You are a poor mans Joe Schoen.

boohyah

So using overthecap, I've cut 2 thirds of this fucking team.

Rudolph/dixon/ximenes/smith/brown/coughlin/brightwell all gone along with a list of other rubbish. The Matt Peart era ends this year. Solder costs us $4m whether we keep him or not so we keep him as backup or hope he retires.

Free agents resigned all on one year show me deals are Carter/Crossen/Pettis/Penny/Smith. 

It's goodbye to Engram/Price/Peppers/Hernandez/Skura/johnson. Of those, Johnson and Peppers would be the ones I'd bring back but it's going to cost us too much.

Hard cuts I made were Bradberry/Love/Slayton. Not moving on Martinez yet. Sheppard I'd restructure for more money next season. I don't have enough smarts to figure out a restructure.

So I am at $28 million right now. Need $12 million to pay rookies alone.

Yeah it's going to be fun.

Have at it. 

Current draft picks:

5 Evan Neal Alabama OT

7 Kenyon Green  - Texas A&M OG

36 Drake Jackson - UCLA  LB

67  Jake Ferguson - Wisconsin - TE

81 John Metchie - Alabama - WR

111  Jerome Ford - Cincinnati - RB

147 Josh Jobe - Alabama - CB

173 - Tyreke Smith - Ohio State - LB

181 - Jake Camarda - Georgia - P

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

Current draft picks:

5 Evan Neal Alabama OT

7 Kenyon Green  - Texas A&M OG

36 Drake Jackson - UCLA  LB

67  Jake Ferguson - Wisconsin - TE

81 John Metchie - Alabama - WR

111  Jerome Ford - Cincinnati - RB

147 Josh Jobe - Alabama - CB

173 - Tyreke Smith - Ohio State - LB

181 - Jake Camarda - Georgia - P

I've targeted Jackson too in the 2nd rd.  The move that would seal this draft for me would be if we could trade back from 7, get an extra 2nd rounder near the top of the round, and manage Jackson and McBride (TE, Colorado St).

Netting Neal/Okronu, Linderbaum, Jackson, and McBride would be incredible.

Like Jobe, Smith, Camarda in later rounds too.  The Penn State CB intrigues me too...Castro-Fields I think it is...in the mid/late rounds.  Like his size and wingspan.

Starting Cap Space = $-11M

Cuts

- Bradberry +$12M

- Martinez +$8.5M

- Rudolph +$5M

- Shepard +$8.5M (Post June 1 cut)

- Riley Dixon +$2.8M

- Slayton +$2.5M

- Ximenes +$1M

Trade

- Barkely ~+$7.2M

Resulting Cap Space = $36-37M

Re-Signings ($5M)

- C Billy Price, 1 yr $1M

- LB Jaylon Smith, 1 yr $1M

- DT Austin Johnson, 1 yr $2M

- LS Casey Kreiter, 1 yr $1M

Free Agent Signings ($26M)

- G Laken Tomlinson, 4 yr $48M (structure it so the 2022 cap hit is $9M)

- T Brandon Shell, 2 yr $10M. Cap hit $4M

- TE Mo Allie-Cox, 2 yr $8M. Cap hit $3M (I figure we need a steady vet at the position, in addition to Kaden Smith)

- QB Mariota, Brissett or Trubisky, 2 yr $12M. Cap hit $5M. Alternatively I'd be open to signing Bridgewater to a 2yr $18M deal

- WR James Washington, 2 yr $4M (I really think this guy is under-utilized, under rated)

- DT Josh Tupou, 1 yr $3M (depth, rotational signing)

Draft

- #5 T/G Kenyon Green, Texas A&M (For all the hype around Okwonu, I think Okwonu is more developmental, boom/bust, plus likely not a T in this league).

- #7 LB Devin Lloyd, Utah

- #36 DE/Edge Sam Williams, Ole Miss or Cameron Thomas San Diego State

- #67 DT Travis Jones, UConn

- #81 G/C Cade Mays, Tennessee

- #110 CB Mario Goodrich, Clemson

- #146 TE Charle Kolar, Iowa State

- #172 RB Tyler Badie, Missouri

- #180 WR Bo Melton, Rutgers

1 hour ago, boohyah said:

You need money for rookies shake.

I account for that in the current cap space of -$11M (it factors in 1st round picks) plus leave +$5M leftover after free agency. Also keep in mind, the money baked into the current cap space is based on the active roster, i.e. top 52-53 players. Many players currently counting towards the cap will be replaced by draft picks, resulting in only a small net hit on the cap.

So for instance. Say we draft a LB in the 6th round who we decide we like better than Carter Coughlin on the active roster (i.e. we keep the pick, and cut Coughlin). The Rookie cap hit is something like $850k, but that simply replaces Coughlin who's at $922K, so that draft pick doesn't add to the cap; it's essentially a wash. 

In other words, you have to subtract the active players that are likely to be cut from the draft pool. For instance, I doubt we hang on to the likes of scrubs like Brian Lewarke, Davis Webb, Omari Cobb, Niko Lalos, Alex Bachman, etc. Their spots on the active roster are likely replaced by draft picks (or free agents). For example, if Bo Melton in my mock draft replaces Alex Bachman, the resulting cap hit is probably minimal or just a wash.

At minimum, say draft picks in rounds #2 - 6 (7 players) replace 7 players on the active roster, you have to sum up the cap hits of the draft picks (maybe it's ~$8.5M or something) but also subtract out cap savings of the 7 players you're cutting (maybe 7x ~$800k = $5.6M), so the resulting cap hit is minimal. It's only $2.9M in this example.

I keep reading that this is a red chip draft, but now that I am turning on the tape of these guys I'm not so sure about that..... I don't see any obvious blue chippers, but everyone I've looked at so far looks very comparable to other high draft picks. Like that Oregon edge rusher, his athleticism screams off the tape. Fuck cares about his technique? Haven't seen a guy that size move like that since a young Von Miller.

I'm not a fan of the offensive linemen though. All the top guys look like mid 1st round picks, at highest. 

So I'm hoping for a trade back, and then maybe a guy like Kenyon Greene in the mid to late 1st.