SportsWrath

Giants’ Brian Daboll, Joe Schoen could target these 5 Bills free agents to bring Buffalo culture to Meadowlands

Mr. P

While the Giants won’t have a ton of money to spend in free agency, they can help establish a new culture by adding some familiar (and affordable) faces to the mix. Daboll and Schoen spent the past four seasons working together in Buffalo, and they could try to steal some talent from Brandon Beane’s roster to improve their own.

The Giants’ roster needs a lot of work, and injecting a bit of Buffalo’s talent into the depth chart will only help Daboll and Schoen get started in their new surroundings.

Here are five Bills free agents that the Giants’ brain trust could look to add in the offseason:

QB Mitchell Trubisky

The Giants’ decision-makers have said a lot of nice things about Daniel Jones over the past week. That’s all well and good, but he’s coming off a season-ending neck injury, and his career to this point has been mediocre at best. The Giants shouldn’t spend a high pick on a quarterback in this draft, and instead, they should bring in Trubisky on a short-term pact to push Jones and teach him Daboll’s offense.

Trubisky spent last season as Josh Allen’s backup, and while he might want the opportunity to start somewhere else, that outlook seems unlikely this offseason. Trubisky can come in and be Daboll’s good soldier while providing insurance and competition for Jones. If Jones’ injury lingers or his play falters, Trubisky could get a chance at the top of the depth chart. If anything, last year’s campaign showed the Giants can’t go cheap on backup QBs.

DT Harrison Phillips

Daboll could keep defensive coordinator Patrick Graham in town, but even then, the defensive front will need some retooling. Phillips is a standout rotational run-stopper, who can clog holes and take on double-teams up-front. Phillips just turned 26 and would be a valuable two-down player for the Giants for years to come. He’s also a high-character player who can come in and be a beacon for Daboll’s new culture in the locker room.

Last season, Phillips produced 33 tackles, a sack and 21 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus. He’d be a good complement for Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence.

WR Isaiah McKenzie

With Sterling Shepard likely to be a cap casualty and Darius Slayton facing an uncertain future, the Giants might want to add a veteran or two to the depth chart. McKenzie has spent the past four years in Daboll’s offense and found some success as a rotational wideout. Working mostly in the slot, McKenzie could take on that role for the Giants with Kadrius Toney and Kenny Golladay working on the outside.

McKenzie shouldn’t cost all that much, and he has already shown he can be productive under Daboll’s guidance. McKenzie has caught 95 passes for 893 yards and seven touchdowns over the past four seasons in Buffalo.

G Ike Boettger

The Giants are likely to rebuild their entire offensive line — outside of Andrew Thomas — this offseason. While the team has nine picks to spend in the draft, lining up three or four rookies on the line wouldn’t be an ideal situation for Jones. Instead, the Giants should look to bring in a few cheap veterans to compete for jobs. Boettger fits that bill as he recovers from an Achilles injury that shouldn’t cost him any time next season.

During his career, Boettger has primarily played at left guard, but he can also play right guard and center. This past season, he started 10 games at left guard and allowed just one sack in 636 snaps. Boettger is only 27, and he could be a stopgap starter at left guard, while the front office looks to spend premium picks on the rest of the line.

DE Efe Obada

The Giants really need to improve their pass rush. Obada, 30, could serve as a solid rotational piece at the EDGE rusher position. The 6-foot-6, 265-pound pass rusher from Nigeria has produced nine sacks over the past two seasons. While he probably won’t ever be a featured player, he can get to the quarterback and force pressure when called upon.

Obada collected 3.5 sacks, four QB hits and 18 total pressures for the Bills as a rotational player last season. He would be a strong third or fourth pass rusher for the Giants, as they look to improve their defensive front.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/01/giants-brian-daboll-joe-schoen-could-target-these-5-bills-free-agents-to-bring-buffalo-culture-to-meadowlands.html

Well, we're not going to get the next Joe Montana as a backup. We need anyone not named Mike Glennon. Trubisky under Daboll could work out if Jones gets hurt...again. Of course, I don't know how anyone is getting paid. 

7 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Well, we're not going to get the next Joe Montana as a backup. We need anyone not named Mike Glennon. Trubisky under Daboll could work out if Jones gets hurt...again. Of course, I don't know how anyone is getting paid. 

LOL. Wtf. Trubisky under daboll will work out?  Did Miss Celo tell you that? Let’s just hope we never need to use Mitch.  Goddamn. Can we believe in DJ for once?   

sorry I read my post and it sounds pretty angry. I didn’t mean it. Especially to the whites, blacks and middle eastern a in this forum.  I do mean it for the Hispanics tho.  Why?  Just cuz. LOL f u

35 minutes ago, TrashTalker92 said:

LOL. Wtf. Trubisky under daboll will work out?  Did Miss Celo tell you that? Let’s just hope we never need to use Mitch.  Goddamn. Can we believe in DJ for once?   

sorry I read my post and it sounds pretty angry. I didn’t mean it. Especially to the whites, blacks and middle eastern a in this forum.  I do mean it for the Hispanics tho.  Why?  Just cuz. LOL f u

Well I did say COULD work out. He's been with the Bills backing up Josh Allen, they must think something of him up there. 

And I mildly believe in Jones. He's been dealt a rough hand with changing coaches and coordinators every couple of years, I get it. But he's also inconsistent, has fumble-itis, and is prone to injury. He's got spunk though, so he may just be Shoen's guy with the right coaching. 

7 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

Well I did say COULD work out. He's been with the Bills backing up Josh Allen, they must think something of him up there. 

And I mildly believe in Jones. He's been dealt a rough hand with changing coaches and coordinators every couple of years, I get it. But he's also inconsistent, has fumble-itis, and is prone to injury. He's got spunk though, so he may just be Shoen's guy with the right coaching. 

Good point. Let’s all cheer for DJ to be our savior like Eli was.  

3 hours ago, TrashTalker92 said:

:laugh: