SportsWrath

Looks like Solder starting over Peart Week 1

Mr. P

I'm not surprised.  I think we would be asking too much of Peart to start at RT at this point.  I'd like to see this year with Peart operating as a swing tackle and gaining confidence and solidifying his technique.  If he wins the job over Solder during the season and the Giants are winning, at that point the team should transition him there permanently.

I was talking with my dad about how many inexplicable misses the Giants have had in the reconstruction of the line. This is what it was supposed to be, and what it ended up being...

Nate Solder- a very good player for years with the Patriots. Sucks for us.

Will Hernandez- very highly regarded guard and generally considered to be the second best guard talent in the draft. Sucks for us.

Nick Gates - a legitimate surprise.

Kevin Zeitler - Pro Bowl guard with a stellar career. Average at best for us.

Andrew Thomas - NFL ready talent who stonewalled the best defenders in the SEC. Widely considered the best tackle prospect and a future All-Pro. Sucks for us.

The amount of misses is frankly stunning.

15 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

we can keep going back to when they forced the Pugh draft pick. 

Its been one major fuck up after another going back ten years on the OL. 

It's just crazy though.  Like... back in 2018, if you had said to me, "by 2020 the Giants will have a line with three former first-round picks on it, one of whom is a Pro Bowler, and a second-round guard" I would have told you that was an excellent plan.  

Yet, we have the 31st-ranked o-line.  It's a fuckup of colossal proportions. There's no way the line should be THIS bad. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

Pugh was actually a decent pick. 

I think Pugh was a good player, but he was an awful pick. I can't recall ever seeing such a middling offensive line prospect picked in the first round. 

As a third rounder he would have been a great pick. As a second rounder, a decent pick. As a first rounder, it was a disaster, because even though he was 'good', he was never good relative to what the team paid for him. 

Its the Ike Hilliard phenomenon.... good player, but way over drafted. 

In fairness, it wasn't the Pugh pick that caused the issues on the OL.... that was just the point that I realized how bad the situation with our OL really was. I already wanted an OL or three high that year.... and then there wasn't a single player on the board that justified the draft position, but we picked an OL anyway. 

Pugh was a great pick a guard who can play out at tackle.

The problem was he basically turned to glass after his first two years and never recovered in NY, from what 2015 to 2017 he missed basically half of the games. 

He's having a good back end of his career in Arizona and I think he's started at guard and tackle for them.

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Pugh was a great pick a guard who can play out at tackle.

The problem was he basically turned to glass after his first two years and never recovered in NY, from what 2015 to 2017 he missed basically half of the games. 

He's having a good back end of his career in Arizona and I think he's started at guard and tackle for them.

This is exactly it.

Pugh was very good for the nine or so games he'd play each year.

Pugh was a decent pick. The problem wasn't him but not filling the other four OL positions around him from 2016 onward. The Giants offenses in 2014-2015 were actually pretty good. It was the defenses at the time who were the problem.

2016 is when the downward offensive spiral happened, led by the OL. We've had a bottom 10 or so offense since 2016.

Pugh was also better suited at G than at T. Also injuries derailed Pugh.