SportsWrath

This will piss you off what I am about to say

xxi-xxv

If this POS redneck hick cannot close out games on a consistent basis I do not want to even make the playoffs! Bold statement? Yeah. Said out of anger? Maybe. But lets be honest, playoff baseball games are close, tightly contested games, where a closer is paramount. This man( I refuse to say his name from disgust) has proven no different than Armando Benitez or even Braden Looper, he does not have the intestional fortitude to pitch in ny.

Why make the playoffs and have to endure losses like this? I would rather sit home and watch someone else. Why use the exuse of "hey at least we made it"? because quite frankly at this point and time that means jack shit.

If this POS redneck hick cannot close out games on a consistent basis I do not want to even make the playoffs! Bold statement? Yeah. Said out of anger? Maybe. But lets be honest, playoff baseball games are close, tightly contested games, where a closer is paramount. This man( I refuse to say his name from disgust) has proven no different than Armando Benitez or even Braden Looper, he does not have the intestional fortitude to pitch in ny.

Why make the playoffs and have to endure losses like this? I would rather sit home and watch someone else. Why use the exuse of "hey at least we made it"? because quite frankly at this point and time that means jack shit.

Calm down. He's no different than he was in Philly. I don't believe you when you say you'd rather not make the playoffs. That's just crazy talk.

Keep that up, and he will start crying about the team and how bad he wants out of NY....like he did here.

He'll never own up to a bad performance. :TD:

And then become a self fulfilling prohecy by ratting to the media that one of his teammates called him a rat in a players only meeting.

And then become a self fulfilling prohecy by ratting to the media that one of his teammates called him a rat in a players only meeting.

Exactly.

Stick him on a team with JD Drew. :TD:

Calm down. He's no different than he was in Philly. I don't believe you when you say you'd rather not make the playoffs. That's just crazy talk.

4 blown saves in 48 chances in 05, 4 in 18 in 06, yeah no different :LMAO:

4 blown saves in 48 chances in 05, 4 in 18 in 06, yeah no different :LMAO:

My point: He was never a clean closer in Philly and he isn't now. Ask a Phiily fan how much confidence they had in him, funny man.

My point: He was never a clean closer in Philly and he isn't now. Ask a Phiily fan how much confidence they had in him, funny man.

Wagner is the prototypical "cannot handle the pressure of NY". All those saves in Houston mean dick, same held true for Benitez, Franco(and his gaudy Cincy numbers)its clear this guy does not have the intestinal fortitude to pitch in NY. If he went 44 of 48 here, trust me no one would complain, especially after years of trash like Benitez and Looper.

I am never one to second guess, so I won't, I will first guess, I for one said in December that I had no use for a 34 year old closer for 12 million a year for 4 years, who I do not know if he can pitch in NY. I would have loved to develop a young closer. As it stands now IMO we will be forced to do so by next year anyway and still be on the books for this redneck hick for 2 more years after that!

You wanto to endure losses in the playoffs like this? I still think back to game 1 of the 00 WS and get sick to my stomach realizing how Benitez in one half inning changed the whole complexion of that series. I do not want to have to see that shit again. This closer IMO is no different.

He did well closing against the Phillies. :cwy:

...amongst all the booing.

His outing against the Yanks(where he did not get a blown saves because it was not a save opp) was even better. Of course he endured a lot of booing that day as well.

Wagner is the prototypical "cannot handle the pressure of NY". All those saves in Houston mean dick, same held true for Benitez, Franco(and his gaudy Cincy numbers)its clear this guy does not have the intestinal fortitude to pitch in NY. If he went 44 of 48 here, trust me no one would complain, especially after years of trash like Benitez and Looper.

I am never one to second guess, so I won't, I will first guess, I for one said in December that I had no use for a 34 year old closer for 12 million a year for 4 years, who I do not know if he can pitch in NY. I would have loved to develop a young closer. As it stands now IMO we will be forced to do so by next year anyway and still be on the books for this redneck hick for 2 more years after that!

You wanto to endure losses in the playoffs like this? I still think back to game 1 of the 00 WS and get sick to my stomach realizing how Benitez in one half inning changed the whole complexion of that series. I do not want to have to see that shit again. This closer IMO is no different.

I've said elsewhere on this site that come playoff time I won't trust this guy to close a door let alone a game. I wasn't a big fan of the pursuit and signing either but the Mets got the best available closer and made improvements in that position you'd have to agree. The team is built to win now AND later and they felt that a rookie or inexperienced closer wouldn't help them to win the NOW part of the equation. Beltran was awarded (at least by me) a grace period as are many players who come to NY. I feel Wagner deserves the same. It just is unfortunate that his failures cost games rather than offensive runs.

He did fine in Philly. 7 blown saves in about 70 save opportunities over two years. Wagner was one of the few spots on the team I had confidence in.

He did fine in Philly. 7 blown saves in about 70 save opportunities over two years. Wagner was one of the few spots on the team I had confidence in.

He was like Franco was. Always walking the bases loaded or giving up 2 hits in an inning and managing to get out of it more times than not. This year he is not as fortunate. Ask a Phillies fan how comfortable they were when he came out.

He was like Franco was. Always walking the bases loaded or giving up 2 hits in an inning and managing to get out of it more times than not. This year he is not as fortunate. Ask a Phillies fan how comfortable they were when he came out.

I am a Phillies fan.

Yeah, like I said Wags was one of the few players on the team at the time that I had confidence in.

Interesting. I have heard others say that it was always a nail biter because of his tendency to walk players or give up a few hits. Most times he turned a 3 or 2 run lead into a 1 run win ala John Franco.

Interesting. I have heard others say that it was always a nail biter because of his tendency to walk players or give up a few hits. Most times he turned a 3 or 2 run lead into a 1 run win ala John Franco.

Hell he only gave up 30 some runs in 120 games over those two years...Plus 25 or so walks. He was solid as they come for us in save situations. It was when he pitched and it wasn't a save situation that he sucked, that's probably where most of those runs came from too.

Yeah, like I said Wags was one of the few players on the team at the time that I had confidence in.

That's funny.......I saw a few good games by him, and I never felt confident.

Kinda like when the "Wild Thing" was pitching. :cwy:

Billy, Billy, Billy, just make sure you close out the important games in September and through out October and all this will be a blur!

This is true.

Team W L PCT GB

NY Mets 45 27 .625 -

Philadelphia 35 37 .486 10.0

Florida 30 38 .441 13.0

Washington 32 42 .432 14.0

Atlanta 30 42 .417 15.0

Bro, how can you say that? The Mets haven't been a playoff team in a long time. Every team goes through there bumps and bruises. Evrything will be fine....

But I do see your point though. I wouldn't want to face the Yankees in the WS either. :rock: