SportsWrath

PSU Pro Day

gmenroc

7 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Playoffs.

And I mean what team does it with a bad OL?

There were a few teams with turrrible Olines this year, Rams, Seahawks, Saints, Chiefs.

All better than the Giants though lol

But back to my point, how do you measure success man? Like in your life how do the Giants make you feel dude?

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

There were a few teams with turrrible Olines this year, Rams, Seahawks, Saints, Chiefs.

All better than the Giants though lol

But back to my point, how do you measure success man? Like in your life how do the Giants make you feel dude?

Not as bad as the giants. This team is going nowhere without an OL.

48 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Lol, maybe I should qualify that a bit.

The present group from games nine through fourteen was about on that level.

But don't forget just how bad that group was in 2011. 

First half of the season they were flat-out awful. Remember we couldn't even run the ball at all until the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, mastershake said:

No they're not.

LOL, I think after years of terrible OL play you've become jaded.

I'm not fitting this group for gold jackets either, but they were a middle of the pack OL for the latter half of last season. How many times did we say after about week nine, man, I can't wait to see Saquon run through some of these holes? - because I said it a lot. Wayne Gallman, 4.6 yards per carry. 

I think our line is on the upswing, but still needs another piece.  Also of the opinion that a draft without an offensive linemen in the top 4 picks should be a fairly rare exception.

Leaning towards Parsons at 11 to pair with Martinez and best offensive lineman available in the 2nd.  DE/WR in 3rd and 4th depending upon who is available.

And then in 6th and beyond, I'm looking for character and athleticism regardless of position.  Glance at RBs and DTs, but don't get tied down to a position at that point

7 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Well let's come at this from a different direction.... you think Gallman is better than a 4.6 ypc runningback? That Alfred Morris is better than a 4.2 ypc back?

I don't.

Opposing teams were giving us the run towards the end of last year, and daring us to pass. Plus, we frequently used 2 TE plus 6 OL sets to help generate this.

We also had several games down the stretch where the running game was trash (Browns, Ravens, Cardinals) ie. the good teams.

I'm not sure that two TE sets involving Evan Engram should count as two TE sets.

I do think there's validity to your argument, but I'd add a caveat that the defensive personnel typically matched the Giants personnel; when the offense goes jumbo, the D goes heavy as well.

I don't want to overstate my opinion, because that unit needs plenty of work. I'm just saying, it probably isn't the weakest position group on this team anymore. 

33 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I'm not sure that two TE sets involving Evan Engram should count as two TE sets.

I do think there's validity to your argument, but I'd add a caveat that the defensive personnel typically matched the Giants personnel; when the offense goes jumbo, the D goes heavy as well.

I don't want to overstate my opinion, because that unit needs plenty of work. I'm just saying, it probably isn't the weakest position group on this team anymore. 

They didn't necessarily. Toilolo and someone else (Smith I think?). We went Jumbo a lot. 

Granted it seemed to work in terms of running, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

At best I would say the jury is out on this OL, and I'd feel much better taking at least two interior OL in the first 3-4 rounds. Slater or Vera Tucker seem best. Vera Tuckers arms just measured in under 33 inches, all but assuring his value at T dropped (and potentially that he's better suited for G), so maybe trade down and pick him up #15-20? Or just take Slater and don't try to get cute.

Back to PSU. What do people see in this Oweh? He has only two sacks the last two years (zero last year). He's a pure size/speed prospect only. I wouldn't touch him in rounds 3-4. When has a guy with this poor of defensive production ever panned out?

He has Dion Jordan written all over him.

I hate drafting guys that are gifted athletically but still haven't figured it out by year 3-4 of college (ie underachievers). At the very least, those are guys you save for rounds #4-7 or UDFA.

They also say he can't really play the run. So if he can't play the run and has two sacks in as many years, what's his draft value exactly????