SportsWrath

Lessons New York Giants Can Learn From Cleveland Browns Turnaround

Tempest

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/what-the-new-york-giants-can-learn-from-the-cleveland-browns-turnaround

Don’t pay for depth.

The more a player can do, the more packages he’s going to be a part of, and the more snaps he’s likely to see in a game.

While it’s true that it doesn’t matter who starts a game, what does matter in assessing the value of a football roster versus what was spent on it is what you’re getting in return for your investment.

Take, for instance, linebacker David Mayo, whom the Giants cut last week. According to PFF, Mayo played 194 snaps on defense last year, yet he counted for $3.55 million against its 2020 cap.

That’s about $18,298 per snap spent on a player who, by the way, had his roster spot usurped by a rookie (Tae Crowder) who had a cap hit of $538,867 and who played in 403 defensive snaps—a bargain rate of $1,337 spent per snap.

Or how about tight end Levine Toilolo, who before his restructuring counted for $3.25 million against the cap last year but who took 276 snaps on offense ($11,775 per snap).

Could the Giants have been able to get by with Kaden Smith, a guy they had on their roster the year before and who in 2020 played in 453 offensive snaps for the low, low rate of $675,000, or $1,490 per snap?

And what about offensive tackle Nate Solder, who reportedly could be returning this year. Even if the Giants lower his base salary to the minimum($1.075 million), he would still count for approximately $7.675 million against the cap, a number that isn't horrible if he's starting at right tackle, but which would be rather hefty for a swing tackle.

Now I read this article yesterday and the title instantly annoyed me, hope it annoys you too but she had at least one good point which I left above and some of you might find the rest of the article full of other ones.  

I would not use the Browns as a template for a turnaround and selectively point out two years while ignoring years of irrelevance. I can guarantee the Browns going 11-4 and reaching the playoffs is anomaly.

I do agree with not paying for depth, it sounds like a no brainer.

18 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

They could have waited until the Browns sustained a modicum of success. Otherwise, they could write this same article comparing the Giants to any of twenty or so other teams and it would have at least equivalent value.

Exactly.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, CrazedDogs said:

They could have waited until the Browns sustained a modicum of success. Otherwise, they could write this same article comparing the Giants to any of twenty or so other teams and it would have at least equivalent value.

I think it's due to the fact the Giants and Browns have been in the same boat the last 5 years.

The Giants are still irrelevant, the Browns atleast to far appear to be on a somewhat of an upswing. 

So obviously some beat writer during the offseason is going to make an article up about it, which essentially devolved into; draft well, have a good HC, don't overspend in FA, which is basically the formula for any of the 32 teams in the NFL. 

Granted the Giants havent done any of those things the last 5 years, outside of hiring Judge this past offseason, which is why we are still in the situation that we are. 

Going to be a make or break year for the Giants realistically. Looking at a new GM atleast, with the possibility of a new QB as well, year three is statistically the year most QBs are either tossed or kept.