SportsWrath

5 Key Moments that Led the Giants to Super Bowl XLVI

Sephiroth

It wasn’t as magical as 2007 but I loved this run a lot more.  I had a huge super bowl futures bet on them from november, my fav player had one of the best postseasons for a wr ever, eli in the sf game was the toughest thing I’ve ever seen, and it shut the door on any “lucky” bullshit talk about Eli being great and us being better than the pats

2007 I was crazy enough to put a future bet on the Giants to win SB 40/1, $2 dollar bet.  Of course the moment was when Jacobs got that extra yard on the 4th down during the final drive.   

2012,  I also had a future bet starting from that Jets game and it was nutz, 20/1, $50 bet.  Favorite moment has to be the ball touching the 9er’s returner.  

On 2/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, Nas said:

I wish the article had video clips of those moments.... Beating the 49ers was epic..

They are all over YouTube the full games.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, Sephiroth said:

Yeah... we haven't had much to be happy about since, but I remember every one of the moments in this article.  It was a good trip down  memory lane.  I actually got a little bit of a knot in my stomach reading about the NFC Championship game. 

It's crazy that it wasn't a miracle run like the '07 run but it was almost more entertaining.

Eli in his prime, a deep WR core, a RB tandum, solid Oline.

Dline was out of this world.

2007 was like a movie.

2011 was a great run by a great team. 

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's crazy that it wasn't a miracle run like the '07 run but it was almost more entertaining.

Eli in his prime, a deep WR core, a RB tandum, solid Oline.

Dline was out of this world.

2007 was like a movie.

2011 was a great run by a great team. 

And yet... didn't they have the worst regular season record of any SB champ ever? 

The TC/Eli Giants will always hold a special place in my heart as I think they do of any Giants fan... but they were some of the most schizophrenic teams I've ever rooted for.  On any given week, they could have 450+ yards and  7TDs and then come out the next two weeks and have 8 turnovers and 80 points hung on them. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

And yet... didn't they have the worst regular season record of any SB champ ever? 

The TC/Eli Giants will always hold a special place in my heart as I think they do of any Giants fan... but they were some of the most schizophrenic teams I've ever rooted for.  On any given week, they could have 450+ yards and  7TDs and then come out the next two weeks and have 8 turnovers and 80 points hung on them. 

I watched an ESPN thing when Brady left NE last off season, it looked at all 32 franchises and the relative success they have all had in their history, if they had any dynasties like the Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, etc, or just continued success but never getting to the big game, or if they have just been bottom of the barrel and league average at best, Lions, Browns, etc.

When they got to the Giants it was pretty eye opening that the franchise is almost a perfect .500 team.

The franchise has basically been decades of mediocrity, with some great seasons mixed in (five SB apperances), with below average playoff success in the non-SB years, with less often horrible seasons mixed in.

The team was one of the premier teams from the 50s and 60s, to bottom in the 70s, relevant in the 80s, disappeared in the earl 90s, had a crazy playoff run in 2000, then back to relevancy in the Eli/Coughlin era, back to being below average now.

The Giants have never been a team like the Packers who just keep winning year after year (but not getting to the big one), or a franchise like the Lions who have just been the step child of the NFL.

But they are in this limbo of in between that, with outliers of successful and failed seasons.