SportsWrath

14 team going to the playoffs.

BlueInCanada

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Always awesome to see the NFL further dilute their already terrible product. 

Is it really that terrible though?

Last year was much better than the previous few I would agree.

But still when compared to the ever declining MLB fanbase and the NBA which has players literally over ruling owners/GMs because they want their butt biddies on a team, I don't know I think the NFL is holding it's own.

Well, during the last CBA it was negotiated that there could be no two-a-days during the summer, and you weren't allowed to tackle.  This made the first 2-3 weeks of football a sloppy mess each year since starters had only been tackling for about 45 minutes combined the entire summer (the 4 preseason games).  There's also the Thursday night game where teams don't have time to prepare so that game sucks.  So guaranteed, there's 3-4 weeks of bad football for your team. 

This was done in the name of "player safety" and "extending careers."  Has it actually done either?  I'm not sure. 

The new CBA, from my understanding, is cutting out two preseason games.  So now starters have about 15 minutes of full-contact drills this summer.  My guess is this will lead to a minimum of four weeks of shitty football, possibly 5.  To top it off, in addition to 7-9 teams making the playoffs, we'll now likely get more sub-.500 teams making the playoffs each year... though if it ends up being "the 10-6 team that somehow wasn't eligible in years past makes it in" then I guess it's possible it could be a better format. 

I guess we'll see.  Like I've said in other threads though, my consumption of football has gone from 12 hours per week to about an hour and a half... the product is SO bad these days.  I've barely even watched the playoffs and skipped two Super Bowls in the past three years.   

5 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

the regular season means a little less now. what a joke!

Actually it means more I would think since there's an extra wildcard spot up for grabs.

More team playing more meaningful games in the final weeks of the year.

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Actually it means more I would think since there's an extra wildcard spot up for grabs.

Agreed , much more to play for at the end of the regular season. Weeks 16 and 17 will be crazy and more exciting

On 4/3/2020 at 9:51 PM, BlueInCanada said:

More team will fight for a wild card spot than the Division... 

3 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

More team will fight for a wild card spot than the Division... 

Division record is the tie breaker they look at when determining wildcard spots, after head to head if the teams have played one another.

Two 9-7 teams that didn't meet in the season, but one is 3-3 in their division the other is 2-4 within their division, the one who is 3-3 gets the spot.

Head to head, division, conference, common teams, then strength of schedule is the tie breakers in order of who gets the spot.

Also fun fact it's possible for all four teams from a division to get into the playoffs now.

The records have to line up perfectly but it's possible.

Would of been interesting during those mid 2000 years when the NFC East was the NFC Beast.

Probably would of sent all 4 teams to the playoffs then.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:00 PM, Sephiroth said:

Always awesome to see the NFL further dilute their already terrible product. 

We aren't there yet...but it is only a matter of time before the New York Islanders or Detroit Red Wings make it to the NFL Wild Card Round.

C. Wagon