SportsWrath

Rumor of a done deal with Leonard Williams

Mr. P

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I'm okay with paying Bryon Jones 5 years $75-80 million.

Overall, if we have ~$72mm available, after factoring in draft picks, my plan would be:

DL Chris Jones: 6 years $135 million. First year cap number could be ~$18mm.

CB Bryon Jones: 5 years $75 million. First year cap number could be ~$12mm.

On OT, I doubt they sign an OL to a big contract, since I suspect they like Nick Gates at RT, plus I believe they are banking on an OL in the draft; so I am going to cross this off my list.

C Graham Glasgow: 5 years $60 million. First year cap  ~$9mm

LB: Cory Littleton: 5 years $70 million. First year cap ~$12mm

Edge: I'd bring back Markus Golden. I think he won't command a huge contract. 3 years $20mm. First year cap $6mm

Total spending on the above: 18 + 12 + 9 + 12 + 6 = $57mm. Leaving us with $15mm leftover for whatever other role players/backups we need. 

Meanwhile, after we draft an OL, cut Nate Solder and save an additional $6.5mm.

Our priorities are pretty much the same positional wise.

Last I checked we only had about 60 million I forgot the Ellison retirement clears space.

If that's the case then forget Van Noy and go get as you said get Littleton or I'd even prefer Judon over him simply for the pass rushing aspect.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:10 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

No fucking way Golden comes for 3 yr 20 mill. He will demand a bare minimum of 10 mill a year - and if not us, someone else will certainly pay him that.

Very possible, but I have a feeling that his injury history and age (he's not old, but he's not young either) will hurt him in that pursuit, coupled with the fact that there is a rich market of EDGE players ahead of him.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Oh and since we were talking FAs.

Some numbers reported out of Byron Jones camp is he's looking for 18 million or more annually.

Some team is probably going to make him at 20+ million CB.

Probably won't be the Giants.

Yeah, that's a little too rich for my liking. He's a good CB, but he's not top 5, or a perennial pro bowler or anything.

50 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yeah, that's a little too rich for my liking. He's a good CB, but he's not top 5, or a perennial pro bowler or anything.

Yeah when your the best player in FA at your position you are going to make money.

Just look at Solder and Collins contracts.

Never know though we got his old DB coach on our staff now maybe he wants to get coached by a familiar face.

I’m not upset here’s why.  

We tag him, we’ve got the cap room, we were gonna spend enough this offseason where we wouldn’t get any comp pick for Williams.  Tag him, if a long term deal doesn’t get done let him walk next offseason where we may not be making the big purchases and get a comp pick.  

17 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

We tag him, we’ve got the cap room, we were gonna spend enough this offseason where we wouldn’t get any comp pick for Williams.  Tag him, if a long term deal doesn’t get done let him walk next offseason where we may not be making the big purchases and get a comp pick.  

The only problem I have is 1) Getty and Mara have both come out and said don't expect the Giants to go wild in FA this offseason, so why overspend for a very underachieving player? 2) If they do decide to go crazy then we basically lost 40 million in cap space now (20 million for the rookies contracts that all just went up with the new CBA and now 16.5 million for Williams) from the cap space we have. I'd much rather have two impact players like Littleton and Jones/Conklin who are going to be on contract for 4-5 years, than Leonard Williams for one year and one big FA signing.

Also we now owe the Jets a fourth round pick instead of a fifth, despite what some here say, draft picks still have value even the late round ones with guys like Getty who seem to find good players at those later picks.

I just don't see how giving a guy top 5 money at the position he plays for in a "prove it year" builds a winning team.

I’m sorry, why are we talking about bringing in a high priced cornerback when we spent high value draft picks for youth at the position for like the past three years? We also can’t rush the passer so it doesn’t matter who plays CB.

Calias Campbell goes to the Ravens for a 5th, pro bowler, regarded as one of the best DL in the NFL despite his age, 6.5 sacks last year 57 tackles, and 15 million dollar cap hit.

Leonard Williams, who doesn't have more than six sacks in two years and hasnt put up more than 50 tackles in the last three, 3rd and 5th round pick, 16.5 million dollar cap hit.

The fuck are the Giants even doing?

I'm not saying the Giants should of gone after Campbell, but if people wonder why the Giants are one of the worst franchises in the last five years of the NFL, something like this doesn't help.

1 minute ago, Storm said:

I’m sorry, why are we talking about bringing in a high priced cornerback when we spent high value draft picks for youth at the position for like the past three years? We also can’t rush the passer so it doesn’t matter who plays CB.

Because Beal hasnt worked out (might not even make the team this year), Love is moving to safety and Bellantine is looking like a slot CB at best.

Who starts across from Baker?

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Because Beal hasnt worked out, Love is moving to safety and Bellantine is looking like a slot CB at best.

Who starts across from Baker?

Not a dude making $20 million per year. Terrible road to go down. Beal is a third year player who lost an entire season. What do you mean he hasn’t worked out? He’s played one season.

1 minute ago, Storm said:

Not a dude making $20 million per year. Terrible road to go down. Beal is a third year player who lost an entire season. What do you mean he hasn’t worked out? He’s played one season.

Exactly, he hasnt worked out lol

Injuries are still an excuse for a player not working out when you drafted them.

He's lost playing time and experience to other CBs on the team.

I'd much rather have Ballentine and Haley than Beal at this point.

And I ask again, who stars across from Baker? This is a passing league, you either put everything you have into the DL, or you need two starting corners.

Some reports coming out now that the Giants are working towards a 10-11 million a year annual contract with Williams.

The Giants have rarely tagged a player without signing them to an extension.

I wonder if Williams signs though? He has all the leverage and can get paid top 5  money, for bottom of the NFL production.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Adam Schefter reporting the Giants have franchised tagged Williams.

17+ Million for 0.5 sacks a year lol

Schefter quotes Gettleman saying he "refuses to let Williams walk"

What a cluster fuck.

This seems like a pride move... instead of admitting it was dumb giving up draft picks for him, they're doubling down... $17M for what exactly?  

Leonard Williams has more career QB hits than Dante Fowler and Bud Dupree combined.

Leonard Williams is a 3-4 DE.

His main job is to eat up space, stop the run, and allow edge rushers to rush the passer.

Yet, he has still managed to create consistent pressure.

4 hours ago, Pdouble said:

After he has ANOTHER mediocore year, he will not command a big contract next year.

17 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I'm so glad we got an underachiever to take a massive chuck out of the cap.

So basically forget about Littleton or Jones lol

So effectively, the big move this offseason that's going to put this putrid defense on the right track is....Leonard Williams.

Gettlemen is actually selling this with a straight face.