SportsWrath

Final game thread.

BlueInCanada

Makes you wonder watching the Falcons collapse against the Patriots why Shanahan refused to run the ball to run out the clock.

Now we seen the same thing yesterday.

I mean none of us will know what it's like to be a HC in that situation but you would think someone would say to him "You know if we pass three times in a row and don't convert we give the Cheifs a lot of time left"

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Jesus Christ.

Kyle Shanahan has been oustcored 46-0 in the 4th quarter and OT in his 2 Super Bowls as an OC or head coach

yeah, I think the other thing I heard this morning is that three times a team has taken a 10 point lead to the 4th Q and then lost the Super Bowl.... Kyle Shanahan was calling offensive plays for two of those. 

and kind of crazy to see how Mahomes is being anointed this morning....  yeah, he's amazing... but last night wasn't making that case. 

And the way they were using Mahomes too, to run the mother fucking option? WTF?! --- such desperation, you have the best passer in the league and a stacked receiving corp, and you're running.... the option? He's not fucking Lamar Jackson, jesus, he's the finest thrower of the football I've seen since maybe Marino.... I don't care if it is the Super Bowl, why risk that asset, when chances are he can do more with his arm anyway? 

All in all... I felt like neither team deserved it. Very underwhelming 2019 NFL season. 

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

yeah, I think the other thing I heard this morning is that three times a team has taken a 10 point lead to the 4th Q and then lost the Super Bowl.... Kyle Shanahan was calling offensive plays for two of those. 

and kind of crazy to see how Mahomes is being anointed this morning....  yeah, he's amazing... but last night wasn't making that case. 

And the way they were using Mahomes too, to run the mother fucking option? WTF?! --- such desperation, you have the best passer in the league and a stacked receiving corp, and you're running.... the option? He's not fucking Lamar Jackson, jesus, he's the finest thrower of the football I've seen since maybe Marino.... I don't care if it is the Super Bowl, why risk that asset, when chances are he can do more with his arm anyway? 

All in all... I felt like neither team deserved it. Very underwhelming 2019 NFL season. 

They have been running Mahomes in the option all year he's probably one of the smoothest scramblers in the NFL right now. Might not be lightning fast like Jackson but he has a way of finding the empty space and picking up 8 yards a run.

I have no problem with it, however he was taking a lot of big hits he did not need to take last night.

Guy has to start sliding more.

I agree too it wasn't a great night for Mahomes he didn't really start playing like himself till the end of the third could of just been all the pressure of the SB till he calmed down.

Also I don't see how you can say neither team deserved it.

49ers were world beaters all season and the Cheifs had to battle through a lot of injuries to get to the big game. 

Was a good game IMO but not the cleanest.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

They have been running Mahomes in the option all year he's probably one of the smoothest scramblers in the NFL right now. Might not be lightning fast like Jackson but he has a way of finding the empty space and picking up 8 yards a run.

I have no problem with it, however he was taking a lot of big hits he did not need to take last night.

I agree too it wasn't a great night for Mahomes he didn't really start playing like himself till the end of the third could of just been all the pressure of the SB till he calmed down.

49ers were world beaters all season and the Cheifs had to battle through a lot of injuries to get to the big game. 

There was an option play early in the game where Mahomes pitched the ball and I think it was Bosa, could have legit cleaned his fucking clock and he pulled up.   that is exactly how you do not play the option... the way you stop it, is you brutalize that QB every chance you get.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

I didn't really mean neither team deserved it, it just wasn't a well played game. Usually you get a better performance than that from at least one of the teams. Neither one had their A game. 

And true, they have done a lot of running with Mahomes…. its just not smart. I think Andy Reid would have let Mahomes die on the field if it finally got him a ring. 

1 minute ago, GorillaNJ said:

There was an option play early in the game where Mahomes pitched the ball and I think it was Bosa, could have legit cleaned his fucking clock and he pulled up.   that is exactly how you do not play the option... the way you stop it, is you brutalize that QB every chance you get.

yeah, it was Bosa. 

I'm really not sure why defenses haven't figured that out. It's a pee wee level offensive concept....  so long as the QB is pretending to be a ball carrier, he is a ball carrier.... so hit him. 

Just now, CrazedDogs said:

yeah, it was Bosa. 

I'm really not sure why defenses haven't figured that out. It's a pee wee level offensive concept....  so long as the QB is pretending to be a ball carrier, he is a ball carrier.... so hit him. 

Yeah Carl Banks was talking about it 2 years ago...   just keep hitting that QB until he refuses to keep calling that play, or pitching it right at the very start.

Is it only me or has the Superbowl been really boring the past few years?

Last year was atrocious.

The previous had the iggles, before that the awful falcons debacle.

The last good one was wheb Seattle blew it on the last play by throwing it from inside the 2

6 hours ago, MakeMeSomeFoodHo said:

Is it only me or has the Superbowl been really boring the past few years?

Last year was atrocious.

The previous had the iggles, before that the awful falcons debacle.

The last good one was wheb Seattle blew it on the last play by throwing it from inside the 2

I enjoyed this one, thought it was better than last year.

Plus we pretty much watched Jimmy G's career come to an end in San Fran.

10 hours ago, GorillaNJ said:

Yeah Carl Banks was talking about it 2 years ago...   just keep hitting that QB until he refuses to keep calling that play, or pitching it right at the very start.

The problem is the league protects the QB regardless.

They won't allow these MVP franchise faces to get killed since it means less people in the seats or watching.

You're seeing it more and more in the college game now too, QBs are treated like royalty.

It's never going to change now.

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

The problem is the league protects the QB regardless.

They won't allow these MVP franchise faces to get killed since it means less people in the seats or watching.

You're seeing it more and more in the college game now too, QBs are treated like royalty.

It's never going to change now.

Except I do not see the league really wanting to have the option become the dominate offense like it was in the 1930's 

1 hour ago, GorillaNJ said:

Except I do not see the league really wanting to have the option become the dominate offense like it was in the 1930's 

Why not?

Lamar Jackson is a human highlight reel and does nothing just draw more attention to the NFL.

The more Superstars on the field the better the more money they make.

Once again I don't agree with it but it's all about the $$$ at this point.

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Why not?

Lamar Jackson is a human highlight reel and does nothing just draw more attention to the NFL.

The more Superstars on the field the better the more money they make.

Once again I don't agree with it but it's all about the $$$ at this point.

Not many guys can do it like Jackson or Mahommes can do though....    I have sat through enough highschool football games to say that the triple option normally does not equate to highlight reel footage.    Eventually the defense is going to adjust