SportsWrath

Ranaan's 10 most likely picks for Giants in first round (he was right on Flowers last year)

Mr. P

Na it is a different situation altogether. Floyd is already the guy the Giants wanted Sintim and Kiwanuka to be.

This is a high risk, high reward player, the guy everyone gives Reese shit about drafting, the athlete.

I don't think Reese can afford the high risk part. Floyd is already 24 too and probably won't give immediate impact

Na it is a different situation altogether. Floyd is already the guy the Giants wanted Sintim and Kiwanuka to be.

This is a high risk, high reward player, the guy everyone gives Reese shit about drafting, the athlete.

Why is he such a risk? He has serious pass rush skills and cover ability. He is able to cover slot receivers. I think he actually has a pretty decent floor, and a big ceiling. Notice I didn't say high floor. But at worst I think he's a starting caliber NFL linebacker.

Why is he such a risk? He has serious pass rush skills and cover ability. He is able to cover slot receivers. I think he actually has a pretty decent floor, and a big ceiling. Notice I didn't say high floor. But at worst I think he's a starting caliber NFL linebacker.

Yeah has a 3-4 edge. He had 4.5 sacks last year. Ranaan throws out 17 sacks in 37 like it's something impressive. He also has 90 career solo tackles

Sacks aren't everything. He has an impact on the game. He doesn't show up in the stat sheet when he hurries the QB into an interception, like he did against Vandy.

I think he's a 3-4 WIL all day, and will come down and play LDE as a pass rusher. And it's not like he's hit his ceiling. A guy like this with his tools, he's going to be coached up and get better.

I understand what the writer in your link was talking about, particularly with POA issues in the run game. That's his bugaboo. But how many linebackers do we have that just stop the run? Now we have two good combo DE's, the best run stopping DT in the game (and Hankins is great, too), we have a run stopping only LBer in Brinkley, a couple of in-the-box safeties... we need a linebacker who can cover... let Bill McGovern worry about getting him tougher at the POA and polishing his game there. As a pass rusher and a cover linebacker, he's a rare talent.

BB25 - PFF is having a live mock draft going on right now. I know a lot of people don't like PFF, but NFL teams subscribe to them and they employ NFL people (like Kevin Gilbride now!)

Josh Liskiewitz of PFF had Floyd going #19 to the Titans after a trade up (they had previously traded up to #10 in this mock to take Josh Doctson), so this is their 2nd first rounder. What I liked was the write up on Floyd, and this mirrors my thinking on him:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/19/draft-the-pff-seven-round-mock-draft/

Yes, Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan are both solid players on the edge, but neither is an elite pass-rusher and Floyd has the athletic ability to be just that. He was the No. 14 player on our board, but we were surprised to still see him available at No. 19 considering he has the highest ceiling of any pass rusher in the draft class. While his pressure totals suffered some because he dropped into coverage more than 40 percent of his snaps the past two seasons, he generated pressure on 17.8 percent of his pass rushes. By comparison, Joey Bosa, our top edge defender each of the last two years, generated pressure on 16.8 percent of his rushes the past two seasons.

BB25 - PFF is having a live mock draft going on right now. I know a lot of people don't like PFF, but NFL teams subscribe to them and they employ NFL people (like Kevin Gilbride now!)

Josh Liskiewitz of PFF had Floyd going #19 to the Titans after a trade up (they had previously traded up to #10 in this mock to take Josh Doctson), so this is their 2nd first rounder. What I liked was the write up on Floyd, and this mirrors my thinking on him:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/19/draft-the-pff-seven-round-mock-draft/

He's a fit an the edge for Lebeau's 3-4. I like him I am just not sure he fits the Giants and him being 24 already makes me have pause. I have him going 19 to Buffalo

I don't think Reese can afford the high risk part. Floyd is already 24 too and probably won't give immediate impact

Oh with our linebacker core and lengthy injury lists, I have no doubt that Floyd if drafted by the Giants will have an immediate impact.

Flowers was not the conventional pick. Yes, it was commonly thought that the Giants would go OL, but the conventional thinking was it would be Scherff, or if not him, possibly Peat. Incidentally I was team Peat for most of the draft build-up, and after watching a lot of Flowers, switched to him and also mocked him to the Giants, I believe before Ranaan did. This year I think it's Floyd if he's there (at least right now, ask me in a week).

Scherff was off the board before the Giants selected and Peat was a board favorite.

With all the free agency/pre-draft talk about Flowers being the left tackle next year, and he's not moving positions and blah, blah, blah...I figure the coaches pretty much can't go back on that, can they? Sure, the best player plays...but when you look at the pay disparity between left and right tackles...if you promised the left side to one guy already...it'd be kinda shitty to take it away from him.

That's kinda the reason I think the tackle they select should be slotted into the right side. But after they go through workouts and camps, if they switch them up...I really don't care. Point is, they need to bookend Flowers and they could do so by getting a RT as opposed to a LT.

As for Floyd, I've been weary of LBers under 250. I know speed rules the game these days and finding a 250+ with speed is tough. All that said, I thought the same about Shazier when he came out and the Steelers found a role for him. Of course, playing a 3-4 is different than a 4-3 when it comes to LBer size and maybe that's how they get away with it. I just don't know that the Giants are good enough on defense to use a guy like the Steelers use Shazier. Thing though with Floyd...he's 5 inches taller than Shazier and essentially the same weight.

Giants drafted Pugh to be a tackle and now he is a guard. Only difference between the tackle positions is simply the more talented player is usually on the left. I'm concerned the front office is going into the draft considering the offensive line a finished product at this point.

Two articles to read on Floyd:

http://nypost.com/2016/04/18/unusual-georgia-lb-is-the-anti-giants-pick-but-so-tempting/

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/4/17/11443782/2016-nfl-draft-the-case-for-against-the-ny-giants-drafting-lb-leonard-floyd

I'm glad in the second article they mentioned PFF... the production argument is silly. Floyd was a pass rusher 40% of the time... and he generated pressure on the QB at a rate better than Bosa, per PFF. Playing MLB and OLB part time, he had 74 tackles. That is called production. When you are a LBer only 60% of the time, that's great production.

As far as Paul Schwartz, I'm pretty sure I've studied Floyd a good deal more than he has. The scheme fit argument doesn't make sense to me. Personally, if the Giants need to change their scheme to make Floyd work, do it... because the scheme now is having TE's get open all over the field and get first downs. It was Cam Newton running for a 100 yards on us last year. Floyd can cover any TE... he can chase down ANY QB. This is exactly the kind of linebacker the Giants need. They have had enough guys that were Thumpers. None of them have been able to cover. Floyd can do that, AND rush the passer.

Team captain, very productive, gives the Giants skills they've been missing. I don't understand what's not to like.

We're talking about the pre-draft thinking... and Scherff was a board favorite as I recall, much more than anyone.

Ah yes true. La'el Collins was another tackle that was considered. Looking back at mock drafts from professionals to fans just in April is amazing.

Now Dan Graziano did call Flowers would be the Giants pick on April 24 if the following happened: Brandon Scherff, Amari Cooper, Kevin White taken before the Giants had a chance, and they all were.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/42330/mel-kipertodd-mcshay-mock-draft-gives-giants-two-safeties-in-first-three-rounds

Be amazed at my search engine skills

LOL that doesn't count... Graziano picked three guys. If I picked enough guys I'm sure I'd pick the right one!

Looks like I mocked Flowers at the eleventh hour... pretty much right before the draft. But I remember studying Flowers and just seeing that this was the guy the Giants were going to love.

http://www.sportswrath.com/index.php?showtopic=51938

And a year later, I'm still glad we grabbed Flowers. I feel very positive about his future.

Here's the latest mock I did... in this one I was dead set on not taking Floyd at #10, simply because I wanted a different picture of how the draft might play if we were to not take him. The Fanspeak big board I used made it easy for me, with Myles Jack falling to us. It was an easy choice. I am more and more convinced that OT's are going to go fast in this draft... and if the Giants don't get one by the 2nd round they might as well count out getting one they can reasonably expect to count on starting in place of Newhouse in 2016, meaning they will have to go hard at addressing the position in either free agency or via trade. So I grabbed Ifedi at 40. Then swooped in at #71 to get Carroo, who I felt was a Giants' type of pick. I really liked Peake who was available but decided on Carroo because I think he's a Giants' target. I thought this draft was unrealistic in that the players they had ranked at the spots they were... just silly. Justin Simmons I think will be long gone by the sixth. Murray long gone by the fifth, and Vannett could go in the 2nd or 3rd. But I like this draft even though I didn't come away with a RB... which I expect the Giants to put a high priority on.

10: R1P10
OLB MYLES JACK
UCLA
40: R2P9
OT GERMAIN IFEDI
TEXAS A&M
71: R3P8
WR LEONTE CARROO
RUTGERS
109: R4P11
TE NICK VANNETT
OHIO STATE
149: R5P10
CB ERIC MURRAY
MINNESOTA
184: R6P9
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE

Giants drafted Pugh to be a tackle and now he is a guard. Only difference between the tackle positions is simply the more talented player is usually on the left. I'm concerned the front office is going into the draft considering the offensive line a finished product at this point.

With the ability of DEs in the league to switch from left to right, I tend to agree with you that T is a position where right or left means less. The more talented player goes to protect the QBs blind side. So if you have a lefty, the RT is actually the more important. I'm no expert on protections or anything like that, but I've read where the RT is more a tough guy where the LT is more the finesse/technique guy. Again, I can't speak to those details and again, it's probably less of an issue now with the movement of DEs pre-snap to gain matchups advantages.

Bottom line, the front office better not be calling the offensive line a finished product. I think there needs to be a selection there in the first or second round. Either get a RT in the first or a RG in the second. There needs to be continued focus on infusing talent and youth into that group.

I'm glad in the second article they mentioned PFF... the production argument is silly. Floyd was a pass rusher 40% of the time... and he generated pressure on the QB at a rate better than Bosa, per PFF. Playing MLB and OLB part time, he had 74 tackles. That is called production. When you are a LBer only 60% of the time, that's great production.

As far as Paul Schwartz, I'm pretty sure I've studied Floyd a good deal more than he has. The scheme fit argument doesn't make sense to me. Personally, if the Giants need to change their scheme to make Floyd work, do it... because the scheme now is having TE's get open all over the field and get first downs. It was Cam Newton running for a 100 yards on us last year. Floyd can cover any TE... he can chase down ANY QB. This is exactly the kind of linebacker the Giants need. They have had enough guys that were Thumpers. None of them have been able to cover. Floyd can do that, AND rush the passer.

Team captain, very productive, gives the Giants skills they've been missing. I don't understand what's not to like.

I think it counts because he mentioned Flowers first and the three players that would have to be off the board for Flowers to be the pick.

I don't think it is the scheme but capability that hurts us when it comes to covering the middle of the field. They don't have to change the scheme to include Floyd because Floyd is the physical specimen the Giants have been looking for at linebacker the last ten years if not longer.

I think it counts because he mentioned Floyd first and the three players that would have to be off the board for Flowers to be the pick.

I don't think it is the scheme but capability that hurts us when it comes to covering the middle of the field. They don't have to change the scheme to include Floyd because Floyd is the physical specimen the Giants have been looking for at linebacker the last ten years if not longer.

I would suggest you avoid logic when discussing the draft and positional needs.