SportsWrath

Giants Sign QB Rusty Smith

Mr. P

A fourth Rd pick shouldn't be on the practice squad.

He's not on the practice squad. If he was, someone would have snatched him up a long time ago. Any team can take a player off another teams' practice squad as long as he's added to the new team's regular roster (they can't take a guy off a practice squad and throw him on their practice squad). That's why he's on the Giants roster taking up a roster space in order to protect him. He'd last about 1 minute on the practice squad before another team came in and swooped him up.

Give the kid a chance. I've watched him at Syracuse for years and he's the cerebral type - cool, calm, doesn't get rattled, tough as nails, stays in the pocket, and has a cannon for an arm. How long before he's NFL ready? That's the only question.

He was a Media hyped kid. His own coach new not to draft him. Either way ill start cooking your guys crow. And no i dont expect a fourth rounder to be an all star but i also would not like to throw it down the drain

He was a Media hyped kid. His own coach new not to draft him. Either way ill start cooking your guys crow. And no i dont expect a fourth rounder to be an all star but i also would not like to throw it down the drain

You mean the team that drafted EJ Manuel in round one?

Doug Marrone inherited the original players of the Buffalo Bills. He wanted a QB in the mold of Cam Newton (or so he said), which means he wanted a QB that could scat when the rest of the players failed to keep him upright or get free from the CB's.

He didn't want a classic pocket QB that required a solid team all around.

The biggest problem with Nassib is that he is a rookie playing behind an established QB that we pay 15 million-plus each year. No snot-nosed kid fresh out of college is going to get much of a chance playing behind a franchise QB that the team has invested millions of dollars in and built a team around.

Regardless...every draft pick is a risk. The Giants tend to keep players they drafted for at least 2 years and oftentimes more, even if they don't get to play. Some teams cut half their draft picks the day they have to get down to 53 players on their roster. You have to trust the coaches and scouts that they know more than you and I and the weekend fans. Seeing that the Giants have won 2 super bowls in the last 6 years tells me they are a little better than us at making decisions. A lot of teams would give their eye teeth, their first born, and their wives (and girlfriends on the side) to win 2 super bowls in 6 years.

Doug Marrone inherited the original players of the Buffalo Bills. He wanted a QB in the mold of Cam Newton (or so he said), which means he wanted a QB that could scat when the rest of the players failed to keep him upright or get free from the CB's.

The biggest problem with Nassib is that he is a rookie playing behind an established QB that we pay 15 million-plus each year. No snot-nosed kid fresh out of college is going to get much of a chance playing behind a franchise QB that the team has invested millions of dollars in and built a team around.

Regardless...every draft pick is a risk. The Giants tend to keep players they drafted for at least 2 years and oftentimes more, even if they don't get to play. Some teams cut half their draft picks the day they have to get down to 53 players on their roster. You have to trust the coaches and scouts that they know more than you and I and the weekend fans. Seeing that the Giants have won 2 super bowls in the last 6 years tells me they are a little better than us at making decisions. A lot of teams would give their eye teeth, their first born, and their wives (and girlfriends on the side) to win 2 super bowls in 6 years.

:clap:

Those two Superbowls dont mean much since we havent been in the playoffs in the last few seasons.

According to most posters on here anyways.

Let me be clear before I make this argument: I'm not comparing the two talent-wise. That would be insane--an established, elite QB vs. a rookie with almost no playing time.

But how much playing time did Aaron Rodgers get playing behind Favre? And Rodgers was drafted in the first round, to be the heir-apparent; not as a backup or at most, tradebait.

Nassib was drafted 4th round, with none of those ambitions. Some thought he would go first, but he didn't. It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that he didn't play last year, or that he didn't beat out Painter--shitty as he is, Painter does have game-time experience. It would have been idiotic to put a rookie in as a sole backup last year, in case something catastrophic happened to Manning.

True, we went through 2004 with just Warner and Manning--but Manning was starting 2005 regardless, so it's not the same situation. Manning had a ton of reps in camp his rookie season; Nassib didn't.

I don't know it this was a good/bad pick--we haven't seen anything. The theory's good--and it's not like our 4th round history this century is world-beating; with decent starters limited to Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, and maybe Brandon Short. It's a matter of execution now. I think we'll get a better idea this preseason.

The anger about this kid are all based on things out of his control--and are completely out of proportion considering that the same level wasn't reached on duds like Kehl or Brewer who didn't receive this much grief until they proved they weren't starter material. Maybe Phillip Dilliard.

Let me be clear before I make this argument: I'm not comparing the two talent-wise. That would be insane--an established, elite QB vs. a rookie with almost no playing time.

But how much playing time did Aaron Rodgers get playing behind Favre? And Rodgers was drafted in the first round, to be the heir-apparent; not as a backup or at most, tradebait.

Nassib was drafted 4th round, with none of those ambitions. Some thought he would go first, but he didn't. It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that he didn't play last year, or that he didn't beat out Painter--shitty as he is, Painter does have game-time experience. It would have been idiotic to put a rookie in as a sole backup last year, in case something catastrophic happened to Manning.

True, we went through 2004 with just Warner and Manning--but Manning was starting 2005 regardless, so it's not the same situation. Manning had a ton of reps in camp his rookie season; Nassib didn't.

I don't know it this was a good/bad pick--we haven't seen anything. The theory's good--and it's not like our 4th round history this century is world-beating; with decent starters limited to Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, and maybe Brandon Short. It's a matter of execution now. I think we'll get a better idea this preseason.

The anger about this kid are all based on things out of his control--and are completely out of proportion considering that the same level wasn't reached on duds like Kehl or Brewer who didn't receive this much grief until they proved they weren't starter material. Maybe Phillip Dilliard.

Once again Fish puts the E in sanity :)

Chomp down on some yourself since Nassib has never been on the practice squad.

Reese's press conference:

Q: What was your thinking on bringing in Josh Freeman? Are you unhappy or uncomfortable with the number two position at quarterback?

A: No. There’s competition at the number two spot. Obviously Eli has the ankle, we wanted to have more competition in the spring and we think Josh is a talented player and we wanted to create some competition. We like Nassib, he hasn’t really had a chance to do a lot for us so we’re going to take a real good look at him in the spring but we think he’s still a good player. He hasn’t had a chance to really play yet, so he’s going to get a lot of work this spring and obviously he’ll get a lot of work in the preseason, along with Curtis Painter, there’s competition, and Josh Freeman. Curtis just had the knee scope so we brought in another quarterback.

Q: Are you determined to keep Ryan Nassib to give him a shot in the spring or would you listen to trade offers for him?

A: We keep all of our options open.

He said the same thing about Osi a few years ago; then gave him an updated contract. It's GM-speak, that Raanan ran with. It looks like reporters from other teams are running with it, with nothing else but speculation. It's pretty funny to watch.

Naturally, if he got offers at his price, he'd go for it--it was kind of the point of drafting him where we did.

But bringing in other QBs has more to do with only 1 available for spring practices than any reflection on Nassib; and come training camp, do you really want Nassib, a partially healed Manning, and no one else doing all of the work? I doubt Painter is coming back any time soon with getting his knee scoped, and even if he is, he's not worth keeping around damaged.

If they do trade Nassib, you can be sure that depending on Eli's health, we'll be getting another QB. No matter what, even if Nassib turns out to be bad (I never ruled this out, just said we don't know yet), we'll have an actual backup quality QB with Freeman.

Well we would of won the Superbowl if we drafted that LB in the fourth who would of added a total of 10 special team tackles.

if Greene even made the roster. Which he almost didn't in Chicago.