SportsWrath

Pathers release smith... Clearing path for Nicks?

Nas

at this point it's just speculation... Smith from what I know of him has been and was still very productive for the panthers...

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/5351/damage-control-doesnt-ease-smith-dumping

The damage control has begun.

Included in the release from the Carolina Panthers on Thursday's release of wide receiver Steve Smith was a lengthy statement from general manager Dave Gettleman.

Gettleman is the one taking the heat for this move that has been bungled because of the way it was handled. So it was fitting that Gettleman stepped forward to explain the decision.

Here's what he said:

"When I took this position I knew that difficult decisions would have to be made along the way. To move on from a storied veteran player is probably the most difficult of all. A decision not to be taken lightly. However, after much thought I feel very strongly it’s the right one.

"As I’ve stated many times, all decisions I make will be in the long-term best interest of the Carolina Panthers. Decisions, either popular or unpopular, have to be made for the greater good and it is imperative to take an unemotional global view.

"Sometimes it may appear that short-term interests will suffer, and I can assure you we have no interest in taking a step back from our 2013 accomplishments. Nevertheless, like all NFL teams, we are in transition as we try to get into the best position going forward. When Mr. Richardson hired me I promised him that my goal would be to leave the Panthers in a better position than when I came. All my efforts are in that vein.

"Over the next few months we will have the opportunities afforded by free agency and the college draft to improve our roster. We also have young players who will get an opportunity. I have great trust in our evaluation process.

"Steve had a wonderful career with the Carolina Panthers. I truly wish him and his wife, Angie, all of God’s blessings."

What Gettleman didn't say is why he felt Smith should be dumped. He didn't say Smith was getting old -- turning 35 in May -- and less productive. He didn't say there was a fear Smith might be a distraction in the development of young players and the continuing leadership of quarterback Cam Newton.

He didn't give the concrete reasons that led to this decision.

The statement probably won't win Gettleman any popularity with fans who already are disgruntled with the move that has been anticipated since it was reported three days ago that Smith was being shopped. The best way Gettleman can win back favor is to make moves to improve the team.

Signing Hakeem Nicks, a Charlotte, N.C., native, might help.

Ultimately, Gettleman's reputation rests in what happens on the field in 2014. He took a similar route in free agency last season, looking for bargain players and releasing a few veterans with big contracts.

The result was a 12-4 record and NFC South title.

Gettleman said it's imperative to take an "unemotional global view." That sounds good in theory. But when you're dumping a player of Smith's reputation and stature in the community after 13 seasons, it's imperative that you do it in a way that doesn't become a PR disaster.

This was from the moment Gettleman began talking about Smith in the past tense last month at the NFL combine in Indianapolis without talking to Smith first.

There is nothing he can do about that now. There is nothing in a five-paragraph statement that will make Smith or his true followers feel any differently about the man charged with building the franchise.

Gettleman knows that, but you can't blame him for trying a bit of damage control.

Now he can focus on building for 2014.

I can't believe the outpouring of sympathy for Smith by the Panthers fans. Dude's an asshole and going to be 35. Nicks seems to be getting some attention. The Decker move was bad from the Jets. Tate was the best WR signing so far.

I've since seen hints of the Colts and 49ers...outside this thread.

Still, though I'm not Nicks nor in his circle, I have to believe he's not getting the interest MONEY he thought he would. This, even if he does sign elsewhere.

FIFY

FIFY

Interest drives the money.

I guess my point was that it didn't seem like teams were even sniffing around, asking what he wanted. Like the Giants did with Revis...nobody thought the Giants would actually sign him, but they at least made a call to see his asking price...Giant's showed interest. Similarly, with Nicks...it didn't appear as if anyone was even making the initial call until now...with Indy and San Fran

Interest drives the money.

I guess my point was that it didn't seem like teams were even sniffing around, asking what he wanted. Like the Giants did with Revis...nobody thought the Giants would actually sign him, but they at least made a call to see his asking price...Giant's showed interest. Similarly, with Nicks...it didn't appear as if anyone was even making the initial call until now...with Indy and San Fran

Carolina was "interested" in him , How much did they offer him? Must of been real low to keep him from going "Home".

Yep and they needed a second receiver bad after Wayne went down last year. You could see it in the pats game

Griff Whalen wasn't bad for them in the slot and he knew the offense. Now they have Hilton,Wayne, Nicks, Whalen, Fleener and Allen. Richardson wasn't worth a first rounder(even though it ended up being the 26th pick,) but he did little things well for them, like pick up first downs in short yardage, pick up blitzes, and decoy/receiver out of the backfield. Nicks is going to fit well with Pep Hamilton

Griff Whalen wasn't bad for them in the slot and he knew the offense. Now they have Hilton,Wayne, Nicks, Whalen, Fleener and Allen. Richardson wasn't worth a first rounder(even though it ended up being the 26th pick,) but he did little things well for them, like pick up first downs in short yardage, pick up blitzes, and decoy/receiver out of the backfield. Nicks is going to fit well with Pep Hamilton

Da'rick Rodgers showed some nice flashes too. Not sure if he's still on the roster though.

Nicks will have a nice year in Indy if he can stay healthy. Potentially a very big one depending how Wayne comes back from injury. I hope he does. Despite how the last two years went we owe our second Super Bowl in large part to him.

Nicks will have a nice year in Indy if he can stay healthy. Potentially a very big one depending how Wayne comes back from injury. I hope he does. Despite how the last two years went we owe our second Super Bowl in large part to him.

That remains to be seen... his worth ethic is definitely questionable...

That remains to be seen... his worth ethic is definitely questionable...

Honestly, I didn't see that. Seemed Gilbride was trying to force passes to Randle, when a WR is not involved in plays of course he's not going to go all out.

Honestly, I didn't see that. Seemed Gilbride was trying to force passes to Randle, when a WR is not involved in plays of course he's not going to go all out.

um... that would mean he has a questionable work ethic. Thats what a work ethic is, doing your job to the best of your abilities, even when you don't want to do it.

um... that would mean he has a questionable work ethic. Thats what a work ethic is, doing your job to the best of your abilities, even when you don't want to do it.

No it means when a WR knows he's the 4th or 5th progression on a play of course he's not going to run full bore. You think Eli had time to go through that many progressions, even when he did he stared down his first progression and forced it.

No it means when a WR knows he's the 4th or 5th progression on a play of course he's not going to run full bore. You think Eli had time to go through that many progressions, even when he did he stared down his first progression and forced it.

Eli didn't have time, but that's irrelevant. You're advocating for half-assed, egocentric bullshit.

In practical terms, NFL defensive backs are good enough to recognize when a guy is dogging it and roll their coverage elsewhere.

Happened to Randy Moss all the time.