SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs

parlintm

I know it's been a long time since we got to see Brandon Jacobs in a situation that wasnt third and short or goal line so for those of you who have forgotten what he did in the preseason last year, here is a refresher:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUtgKCONhic&sea...randon%20jacobs

So, is his role going to be the same as last year, limited only to the aforementioned situations? Or will we feature some sort of thunder and lightening attack? Maybe giving Jacobs a series here and there throughout the game...

So what do you think the coaches will do with him this year?

I know it's been a long time since we got to see Brandon Jacobs in a situation that wasnt third and short or goal line so for those of you who have forgotten what he did in the preseason last year, here is a refresher:

So, is his role going to be the same as last year, limited only to the aforementioned situations? Or will we feature some sort of thunder and lightening attack? Maybe giving Jacobs a series here and there throughout the game...

:rock:

Guest Carbo

Limited action, at best. No way TC is fool enough, (or is he?), to take carries away from Barber. Jacobs is not a full time player, and he hasn't done anything to warrant such consideration.

If we go Thunder & Lightning, the only way it's going to work is if he gets carries on 1st or 2nd down in non-short yardage. Putting the big guy in on 3rd and 1 is about as predictable an offense as possible and all but guarantees 8 defenders in the box with the other 3 keeping thier eyes open for the run. It's a poor reflection on the coaching staff if they think that this will continue to work. Additionally, like previously mentioned, it would be a good idea to get a good evaluation of what Jacobs can do in live, important game situations to see if he can be Tiki's successor or if we have to address it next offseason.

I look for Jacobs to get more carries this season earlier in the game...If we can give him 10 carries a game in regular situations and let him simply pound the defense and wear then down than Tiki will be even more effective later in the game

I look for Jacobs to get more carries this season earlier in the game...If we can give him 10 carries a game in regular situations and let him simply pound the defense and wear then down than Tiki will be even more effective later in the game

The other way works nicely too. Bring Jacobs into the game in the 4th if we have a lead and let him pound the ball against a tired defense. This is what the Steelers like to do with Bettis last year and were almost impossible to beat when they had a lead.

Jacobs needs some real game experience. Time to get into the flow of a game, time to get some carries other than strictly short yardage, carries at the beginning of games when it matters as opposed to carries in garbage time. It's time to get a good evaluation of the kid instead of simply using him to spell Tiki.

The other way works nicely too. Bring Jacobs into the game in the 4th if we have a lead and let him pound the ball against a tired defense. This is what the Steelers like to do with Bettis last year and were almost impossible to beat when they had a lead.

Hopefully we are in position to give BJ a better look this year.

If we have the lead we should absolutely give him the ball

and see just where we stand with him.

Even if we dont have a lead I think the OC needs to get him in

some type of game flow. And I dont mean 3rd and 1.

Can BJ carry a series of downs as a tailback?

ala Eric Dickerson

:rock:

One thing that I'd forgotten about Jacobs was that he has been diagnosed with a learning disorder and is said to have difficulty learning the playbook. I wonder if this contributed to his playing only in certain situations. If this is the case, he's now had year of practice and should be ready to go this year.

Limited action, at best. No way TC is fool enough, (or is he?), to take carries away from Barber. Jacobs is not a full time player, and he hasn't done anything to warrant such consideration.

Second on the Team with 7 Td's :TU:

19 Short yard first downs :TU:

Let's see if Jacobs can win the #2 job first. I he doesn't, all this talk is moot.

If he does in fact move into the #2 spot, I'd have to think he'd get as many touches as Ward did last year, which was very few. Yet at some point soon, Tiki will begin to need more rest. It's inevitable and if the coaching staff nor Tiki himself come to grips with that and give him a breather or two throughout the game, he's going to hit a wall quickly at some point and we'll be forced to use one of our backups.

The learning problem is a huge issue. It doesn't mean that after a season under his belt, he'll "get it". If you have a true difficulty learning, you're going to find it extremely difficult to pick up an NFL defense and all it's intricicies.

Let's see if Jacobs can win the #2 job first. I he doesn't, all this talk is moot.

If he does in fact move into the #2 spot, I'd have to think he'd get as many touches as Ward did last year, which was very few. Yet at some point soon, Tiki will begin to need more rest. It's inevitable and if the coaching staff nor Tiki himself come to grips with that and give him a breather or two throughout the game, he's going to hit a wall quickly at some point and we'll be forced to use one of our backups.

The learning problem is a huge issue. It doesn't mean that after a season under his belt, he'll "get it". If you have a true difficulty learning, you're going to find it extremely difficult to pick up an NFL defense and all it's intricicies.

I don't think that a learning disability is all that terrible for a running back. The most confusing thing he has to learn is blitz pickup. He will be far more solid on that after a season under his belt and another training camp. Not to mention the lineman and quarterback often point out where the blitz is going to be coming from.

Learning disability would be a problem for positions like Center, Quarterback, Middle linebacker...positions that require an understanding of pressure and schemes. A running back often simply relies on their talent to carry them....and Jacobs has PLENTY of talent.

Guest Lockhart

Brandon Jacobs will continue in Ron Dayne's role of disappointing the Giant fans, especially is his failures of short yardage conversion situations. He did add a little twist of his own by fumbling on the goal line against the Cowboys!

Brandon Jacobs will continue in Ron Dayne's role of disappointing the Giant fans, especially is his failures of short yardage conversion situations. He did add a little twist of his own by fumbling on the goal line against the Cowboys!

One fumble in around 95 attempts.

He had at least 75% of the third and shorts converted and that is great considering:

1. He is a rookie

2. He is a big target

3. The offensive gameplanning almost gives away the fact that he is running when he comes in, therefore having like 10 defenders in the box.

Is there no pleasing you? you repetative, idiotic twit

those were nice runs... :rock:

I'll be surprised if Jacobs gets significantly more action than he did a year ago. I don't think the coaching staff is comfortable enough to throw 10 carries a game his way just to work him in. While resting Tiki will be considered, we're not going to pull him unless Jacobs proves he's up to the task. Considering the relative strength of our schedule I don't see a lot of games where we'll have the W wrapped up at the end of the 3rd quarter, allowing Jacobs to gain valuable experience. Unfortunately I think we're going to rely on Tiki to once again serve as the coffin nail to put games away late. I just don't see where Jacobs will be trusted in this capacity based on what we've seen so far. I wholeheartedly agree that ideally the coaching staff would love to lighten Tiki's load and work the kid into more action but I don't see a realistic scenario where it can/will occur on a consistent basis.

I don't think that a learning disability is all that terrible for a running back. The most confusing thing he has to learn is blitz pickup. He will be far more solid on that after a season under his belt and another training camp. Not to mention the lineman and quarterback often point out where the blitz is going to be coming from.

Learning disability would be a problem for positions like Center, Quarterback, Middle linebacker...positions that require an understanding of pressure and schemes. A running back often simply relies on their talent to carry them....and Jacobs has PLENTY of talent.

You're right, it's certainly not as 'mental intensive' as QB or LB, but have you seen an NFL playbook? If you have a serious learning disability, the subject matter is of no consequence, it's the lack of ability to retain information...or at least in part could be. If you can't retain the playbook, you will have problems.

I think Jacobs has unlimited talent at this point. I truly hope it doesn't hold him back.

I'll be surprised if Jacobs gets significantly more action than he did a year ago. I don't think the coaching staff is comfortable enough to throw 10 carries a game his way just to work him in. While resting Tiki will be considered, we're not going to pull him unless Jacobs proves he's up to the task. Considering the relative strength of our schedule I don't see a lot of games where we'll have the W wrapped up at the end of the 3rd quarter, allowing Jacobs to gain valuable experience. Unfortunately I think we're going to rely on Tiki to once again serve as the coffin nail to put games away late. I just don't see where Jacobs will be trusted in this capacity based on what we've seen so far. I wholeheartedly agree that ideally the coaching staff would love to lighten Tiki's load and work the kid into more action but I don't see a realistic scenario where it can/will occur on a consistent basis.

If Jacobs can prove in training camp and preseason that he is ready to contribute in regular situations I see no reason that they can't give him more significant playing time. Now, if he comes to camp and shows us that he does not have solid grasp of the game or scheme than Tiki will have to shoulder the entire load again, and rightfully so...but I don't see that happening. He impressed in preseason last year, certainly has the talent and will have two training camps under his belt come preseason. If he proves to be a solid player than we are almost obliged to take some of the load off Tiki. Maybe a few plays a quarter. Anything we can do to keep Tiki fresh towards the end of the game while not hurting the team should be done.

Guest Lockhart
One fumble in around 95 attempts.

He had at least 75% of the third and shorts converted and that is great considering:

1. He is a rookie

2. He is a big target

3. The offensive gameplanning almost gives away the fact that he is running when he comes in, therefore having like 10 defenders in the box.

short yardage backs get the yardage with 11 in the box - Zack Crockett is an example. Tiki was the better short yardage back. Jacobs nees to move to H-back or fullback - he will NEVER be an everdown tailback.

short yardage backs get the yardage with 11 in the box - Zack Crockett is an example. Tiki was the better short yardage back. Jacobs nees to move to H-back or fullback - he will NEVER be an everdown tailback.

Perfect example. Last game of the year he had 2 or 3 chances to run with Kevin Lewis in the middle, and Alonzo Jackson and Nick Greisen on the outside. Didn't do shit.

Even the best don't get the yards all the time. Nothing is automatic in the NFL.

How was Tiki the better short yardage back when he rarely came in and if he did, rarely even touched the ball?