SportsWrath

Pugh Review

CrazedDogs

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-justin-pugh-and-kyle-long

This guy's analysis of offensive line play is often enlightening... unfortunately this isn't an encouraging review, but he brings it back from the edge at the end:

After watching the Rutgers game and the first three quarters of the Pitt game, I was ready to write Pugh completely off. It wasn’t that he was a bad college player -- in fact he was a good one -- I just couldn’t see him at a position in the NFL....

Late in the Pitt game in the four-minute drill, though, Syracuse went to a goal-line formation and ran right behind Pugh five straight times. Pugh kicked the absolute dog crap out of the guy lined up over top of him.

I don’t care how many times you get bullrushed, when you continually dominate on drive blocks, you are not a soft player. Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming, Syracuse was running straight-ahead blocking, and Pugh was just firing out and knocking his man three-to-six yards off the line of scrimmage every time. It’s the kind of series that’s so impressive it made me re-evaluate and re-watch the tape for things I may have missed.

Sounds like he'll be a nice player as long as he's playing on the interior of the line.

I've seen Pugh play plenty of times seeing that Syracuse is about a half hour from where I live and I'm an Orange fan as much as I am a Giants blue fan. Every team the Orange faced had to adjust their strategy to deal with Pugh. Most fans don't know the intricacies going on with the scrum on the line. But line coaches and head coaches are well aware of the little things done on the line that either make or break a team....and everyone of them knew all about Pugh and devised strategies around him.

He may not wow you with his physical appearance, but the man is a "baller"...he's the genuine deal and has the mind and attitude of a real football player, not just a player who looks the part and has great combine numbers. He's a workhorse and lives for the game.

I do think his ultimate position is LG

Me too.

Or Center

Agreed. And don't forget, Snee is getting older too.

Not sure what to make of this guy though. He's very one dimensional for a 1st round offensive lineman. And what does that mean for Boothe? He was arguably the team's best OL last season. Can he slide over and replace Diehl?

Agreed. And don't forget, Snee is getting older too.

Not sure what to make of this guy though. He's very one dimensional for a 1st round offensive lineman. And what does that mean for Boothe? He was arguably the team's best OL last season. Can he slide over and replace Diehl?

Snee has a year or 2 or even 3 left in the tank... Diehl is our weakest link right now as much as I love the guy. The physical attributes of Pugh makes him more fit for a tackle than a guard... Iike my guards and centers shorter stockier with a lower center of gravity... the likes of O'hara, Snee, and Richie... Man I love Richie.. miss that dude.

Snee has a lot more game in him than you give him credit. Don't take last season with him playing hurt as the measure of his future performance. I bet he plays at a high level for another 4-5 years.

Snee has a year or 2 or even 3 left in the tank... Diehl is our weakest link right now as much as I love the guy. The physical attributes of Pugh makes him more fit for a tackle than a guard... Iike my guards and centers shorter stockier with a lower center of gravity... the likes of O'hara, Snee, and Richie... Man I love Richie.. miss that dude.

Snee has a lot more game in him than you give him credit. Don't take last season with him playing hurt as the measure of his future performance. I bet he plays at a high level for another 4-5 years.

Wasn't basing my assessment o his performance. I think he will retire on his own terms... he may not wait to decline before he hangs them up...

Screw that I believe this dude can replace that Baas. With the amount we are paying that dude. Hopefully within a year he can take control of center.

Yea except Diehl ain't holding up... we may have someone else in the pipeline who's actually ready to step in sooner than later... Brewer. And for the eventual replacement of yet another OL we drafted another OL in later rounds... should he pan out that is.