SportsWrath

Making Sense of Fewell's Linebacker Strategy

BleedinBlue

As pointed out in another thread, I didn't know if Rivers was a WILL or a SAM and always thought he was a SAM. But the Giants have an upside down defense scheme in which the traditional SAM position is played by a WILL and vice versa.

Anyway...for anyone trying to figure out Fewell's defensive scheme, this video is really helpful.

I've known that, but still refer to them in the traditional sense, Boley was our WILL and Kiwi was our SAM.

Just like I won't call the red zone the green zone like Coughlin does.

The Giants have a LB strategy? :P All kidding aside good video.

I agree.

Defensive schemes are very complicated and 34 teams have a few dozen schemes apiece. One thing I've always said concerning football at the NFL level..."you need a CEREBRAL QUARTERBACK" who can read the defense on the fly and understand what the defense is up to.

I don't care what Vick's 40 time was or how far he can throw a football...or RGIII's elusive running back abilities. A winning QB has to digest the other team's defensive scheme and adapt plays to it on the fly. There is just so much information that a QB must have when diagnosing the defense and he has to do it in a span of about 6 seconds. If a QB is a good runner and very athletic, he's apt to take things into his own hands and use his legs instead of his brain when confused by the defense he is seeing across the line. That works well in college, but not in the pros.

That's the thing I liked most about Nassib. Having watched him for a couple of years in my backyard, I know he's got pretty good arm strength and accuracy and can move well in the pocket when it collapses...but he's a genuine cerebral pocket QB who spends hours and hours studying film and learning defenses. He is the perfect understudy to Eli. Hopefully, when he does get a chance to play the position some day, he won't start out getting hammered so hard that he gets the sack-jitters like Carr.

Why is it always this way with the Giants? Ohhh...look an injury prone LB that had talent 3 years ago. Sign him now on the cheap and the LB position is fixed. Bullock (Titans-> Giants-> Retirement) anyone? Rivers and Connor's career path will be the same.

If only they had done the same with London Fletcher!

But yah, it goes beyond even recent memory, too....pre-Reese....look at guys like Lavar Arrington....even Mike Barrow who was solid but no playmaker.

But yah, it goes beyond even recent memory, too....pre-Reese....look at guys like Lavar Arrington....even Mike Barrow who was solid but no playmaker.

Jesus now that I think about it... LB always get other teams' outcasts.

Jesus now that I think about it... LB always get other teams' outcasts.

Antonio Pierce....too....

I also remember getting another Eagles castoff....but it wasn't Jeremiah Trotter and I can't remember who it was....

Antonio Pierce....too....

I also remember getting another Eagles castoff....but it wasn't Jeremiah Trotter and I can't remember who it was....

Carlos Emmons :angry:

Although I don't recall AP being a castoff.. I think he was a good signing at the time... just coming into his prime.

Carlos Emmons :angry:

Although I don't recall AP being a castoff.. I think he was a good signing at the time... just coming into his prime.

Thanks Nas! That was the one.

Yeah he AP was a solid pickup but I thought he was more around age 30 when we picked him up?

Thanks Nas! That was the one.

Yeah he AP was a solid pickup but I thought he was more around age 30 when we picked him up?

Nope. And I remember Bleedin's assessment of him which I thought was encouraging (at the time) and proven to be true later on. We picked him up I think at 27 yo... and if I'm to paraphrase Bleedin's take on him he was ascending to his prime.

Classic Billick. Gets the DC of the 31st ranked defense to explain defense. The guy can't even explain it to his own players properly. :freaked:

Anyway, Pierce looked like a huge win before that high ankle sprain in 2005. He never really seemed to be the same after that, but at least he was solid. Never got the Arrington acquisition--we knew going in that he was seriously damaged goods, and it always smacked of fan-pressure to me. A really bad idea that wasn't what the fans really wanted.

This linebacker corp is a feast of disappointment. We had a bunch of young players who had potential, and none of them have stepped up. Just by volume, you would have thought one of them would have by now. Instead, we have some potentially decent players, who have proven that they can't stay on the field as starters and backups that haven't proven anything.

I would much rather have consistent mediocrity than all this potential and a complete lack of stability. Instead, we might end up with good LB play for half a season, and wind up playing street free agents on the back end of the year, just like we did in 2005. God help us if our DTs wear down.

This is by far the worst part of FA signings. It's always about potential, or the dirtiest word...upside, and never about veteran experience. The potential of needing new LBs by mid-season is what I see.