SportsWrath

It's Saturday - We've Mended the Trenches, Where do we go from here?

BleedinBlue

We've obviously focused on fixing the trenches by adding 3 big athletic men - all coming out of college a year early so they are young and eager and have room to grow.

Where do we go from here? Personally, I think fixing the d-line addresses a lot of our linebacker problems who were constantly forced to cover the d-line's porosity instead of rushing the passer or tagging TE's and short route receivers. Also, we are blessed with receivers, and our running backs are solid. Perhaps a corner if there's one available that really sticks out. I believe there'll be a run on offensive players today like crazy...QB's, RB's, anyone who can catch a ball, etc...because so much attention was given to the trenches by nearly every team in the first 3 rounds...which means the best players on the board might not be flashy players, but more trench guys.

Regardless, it took me awhile to get excited about rebuilding the trenches with youth and solid athleticism, but why stop now. I wouldn't mind if the Giants pursued another offensive lineman...especially if they could get someone like Barrett Jones who is still on the board. I really like this guy a lot. He's been called a "1st/2nd round talent", "the best center in the draft" (sorry Jerry), the "most versatile lineman in the draft", etc., and is only still on the board because he couldn't showcase his talents because of surgery. David Quessenberry is another player on the board who would be a steal this late in the draft and go a long ways towards solidifying the future of our o-line.

Anyway, there's a lot written about Barrett, but here's a quickie:

A two-time All-American lineman, Jones played Alabama's 42-14 BCS title game rout of Notre Dame with torn ligaments in his foot. Jones had surgery to repair that Lisfranc injury following the championship game, thus limiting his participation in pre-draft workouts and likely causing his value to drop. However, Jones is still the top-rated center in the draft and perhaps the most versatile offensive lineman in this year's class. He started 49 of 53 games at Alabama, including 25 at right guard before switching to left tackle for his junior season. After earning the Outland Trophy as the nation's top lineman in 2011, Jones was switched to center in 2012 and performed flawlessly while helping lead the Crimson Tide to their second straight national championship and third in four seasons. Jones helped pave the way for Alabama backs Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon to rush for a combined 334 rushing yards in a 32-28 win over Georgia in the SEC championship game. If there's a knock on Jones, it's that he does not have the overall strength to blow defenders off the ball. Alabama coach Nick Saban has often compared him to Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, who played all five line positions during his 19-year career with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans' franchise.

Possibilities:

OLB - Khaseem Greene (this would be a coup if the Giants were able to get him at this point - maybe time to trade up since everyone is so willing to trade down) I can't believe he'll be on the board when the Giants pick today.

TE - Michael Williams 6'6" 270...is the premier blocking TE out of two-time national champion Alabama. Since he was used primarily as a hard nosed blocker, he isn't high on the boards as most teams want someone who specializes in catching the ball. Maybe this guy can, but he's rarely been given the chance because his job has been to take on oncoming DE's and LB's that have beaten the tackles. He'd be a nice fit as we shore up the offensive line. His reputation is that he can hold the edge or push holes in order to assist the RB's. Alabama had a great running game (avg 224 yds per game) due primarily because of their front line and Williams.

Safety - Shamarko Thomas (Called a "2nd rd talent", but at 5'8", he doesn't fit the "physical perfection" sought by many......plus TC likes players from Syracuse and Boston College - Thomas is from Syracuse)

Safety - Baccari Rambo (I know very little about this guy, but with a name like "Rambo", what's not to like)

CB's - B.W. Webb and Jordon Poyer are still on the board....slim pickins

Wonder if the Giants will take one of the falling qb's as a backup for a couple years then trade him?

That would be a shocker. I'd be really surprised if they did, but this whole draft has been a surprise so ya never know. Seems like the Giants have taken a QB repeatedly since drafting Eli...work him for a couple of years...then cut him. Seems like a waste of a pick to me, but I'm just a fan on the sidelines.

That would be a shocker. I'd be really surprised if they did, but this whole draft has been a surprise so ya never know. Seems like the Giants have taken a QB repeatedly since drafting Eli...work him for a couple of years...then cut him. Seems like a waste of a pick to me, but I'm just a fan on the sidelines.

Yeah I wasn't really thinking they would, it's just that there are a couple guys out there that weren't supposed to be and I was thinking out loud, so to speak. I'm hoping another olineman.

I'd cream my pants if we're able to get Khaseem Greene.... however way we do.

2ndly, I'd like to see us get one of the stud kickers this year.. whether it's a 7th rounder or a RFA

Also, we're not done with the Oline. We've addressed Diehl's replacement but we have to worry about Boothe's and in another year Snee's and Baas'.

Then we can always land a CB... although I don't see it as a major need since we have Web, Prince, Hosely, Ross, T2... etc.