SportsWrath

Giants Needs

BleedinBlue

Offensive Line: If Diehl stays healthy, the line should hold up for the 2013 season. Brewer has shown flashes and is being groomed to take over RT, but isn't proven yet. We need a RT and a RG to be ready to step in next year as well as be ready this year in the case of injuries.

Linebackers: With Boley gone and the possibility of Kiwi going to DE like we're hearing, that leaves us shorthanded with Jacquian Williams, Keith Rivers, and Spencer Paysinger on the outside and Dan Conner and Mark Herzlich in the middle. Conner was the no. 1 MLB coming out of the draft a couple of years ago, but like Rivers (another no.1 LB in the draft) hasn't shown the flashes they did in college. We need to pick up a couple of LB's for depth and possible starting.

Defensive Line: With Osi and Canty gone, the defensive line needs some rebuilding. Moving Kiwi to DE will solve the hole left by Osi, but Tuck doesn't seem to be getting better with age and seems to be in the decline. Tuck is a favorite of mine, but I also see reality. Let's hope he gets rejuvenated this year The guards are only solid with Linval Joseph. We have Patterson coming in and he's supposed to be a Rocky Bernard type, but time will tell. Marvin Austin has not showed he can play at the NFL level, Marcus Kuhn is coming off an injury and is green, and Shaun Rogers missed all of last season with health issues and probably is at the end of his career. We really need a solid DT and it wouldn't hurt to find a good DE to groom.

Cornerbacks: Amukamara and Webster will be the starters and the Giants are high on Hosley. Bringing back Ross helps, but isn't a cure-all and Terrell Thomas has had 3 ACL tears and it's hard to think he'll be his old self this year. A good CB is a need as Webster is on the decline.

Safeties: Antrel Rolle is no youngster and we're paying a king's ransom for his salary. Will Hill and Stevie Brown have filled in adequately. Hopefully, Brown isn't a one-year wonder and will duplicate last year's illustrious play. The book is still out on Tyler Sash and hopefully he's ready for a breakout years. We could use another safety as it's almost guaranteed that Rolle will be cut at the end of the season because of his contract.

Tight Ends: Brandon Myers is the new kid on the block and his stats for the last 4 years aren't very impressive. Adrien Robinson showed some flash, but has a long way to go to be a blocker, and Bear Pascoe is a lunch pail guy who does an adequate job, but is never going to light up the score board or go to the pro bowl. We need a big TE that can block and make tough catches in the red zone.

Running Backs: Should be pretty good here as long as Wilson and Brown stay healthy. De'rel Scott is serviceable and may be better than anyone expected if given the chance. I don't see the Giants going for a RB early.

Wide Receivers: The one position we are loaded. Nicks and Cruz are studs and assuming Randle continues to grow...we're looking very good. Jernigan has shown flashes, but will have a hard time getting playing time if the big three ahead of him stay healthy. No real need here.

Quarterbacks: Set!

Special Teams: I don't see a big hole here. We needed a return guy, but Wilson stepped up and showed us we have a good one. I don't see us drafting a kicker or a special teams guy.

----------------------------

We need: OT, OG, DT, DE, LB, TE, CB...not necessarily in that order.

I think given Kiwi's flexibility, we'd need a DE or an OLB in this draft, but not necessarily both.

I'd shoot for OT & DT in the first two rounds. CB in the 3rd. LB in the 4th. C/G in the 5th. WR/KR in the 6th/7th. DE in the 6th/7th.

If Wilson is the starting RB this year, I don't want him returning kickoffs, despite his proven ability there.

I think given Kiwi's flexibility, we'd need a DE or an OLB in this draft, but not necessarily both.

I'd shoot for OT & DT in the first two rounds. CB in the 3rd. LB in the 4th. C/G in the 5th. WR/KR in the 6th/7th. DE in the 6th/7th.

If Wilson is the starting RB this year, I don't want him returning kickoffs, despite his proven ability there.

I agree completely about Kiwi giving us flexibility. Can't believe you have a kicker getting picked before a Tight End. Our TE situation is a glaring hole and when it comes to kickers, the Giants have always taken a veteran FA over any rookie out of college no matter how far the kid can kick the ball.

I think in the first two rounds, it depends entirely on "who's there on the board". The Giants have rarely used a first round pick to fill a need and always go for the gifted athletic player that falls through the cracks to them, regardless of need. The last time they did that (well, excluding last year as RB was a need and Wilson just happened to be the BPA on the board) was back in the day when there was a run on DT's and William Joseph was the last available DT that seemed to be promising. He was a huge bust and we left players like Nnamdi Asomugha and Boss Bailey on the board - apparently because we didn't need a CB or LB when we had the Frank Walker, Ray Green, and Reggie Stevens on the corners, etc.

We had to have had the Wills back then, too....

Will Allen was still on the team in 2003, but was on injured reserve. Peterson was gone after 2002. We drafted William Joseph in 2003 because we "had to have a DT" in the first round. Very bad decision. He was born with the right genes to have all the physical tools. The knock on him was that he was lazy, didn't like to practice, and didn't have the need to excel. And the knock turned out to be dead on. But he put tens of millions in his pocket courtesy of the New York Football Giants.

I agree completely about Kiwi giving us flexibility. Can't believe you have a kicker getting picked before a Tight End. Our TE situation is a glaring hole and when it comes to kickers, the Giants have always taken a veteran FA over any rookie out of college no matter how far the kid can kick the ball.

I think in the first two rounds, it depends entirely on "who's there on the board". The Giants have rarely used a first round pick to fill a need and always go for the gifted athletic player that falls through the cracks to them, regardless of need. The last time they did that (well, excluding last year as RB was a need and Wilson just happened to be the BPA on the board) was back in the day when there was a run on DT's and William Joseph was the last available DT that seemed to be promising. He was a huge bust and we left players like Nnamdi Asomugha and Boss Bailey on the board - apparently because we didn't need a CB or LB when we had the Frank Walker, Ray Green, and Reggie Stevens on the corners, etc.

WR/KR = wide receiver/kick returner, meaning a guy who can do both ala Hixon...not kicker.

And I completely ignored the TE position because (1) we resigned Pascoe, (2) we are developing Adrien Robinson who was drafted last year whom we must think highly enough of to have let Bennett go, and (3) we signed the TE out of Oakland as a free agent.

I think that best player available is fine so long as needs aren't ignored entirely. You look at needs and think about positions to where you want to add depth. But I don't necessarily look at LB, see it as need #1 and apply the first rounder to it. You have to look at who you think might be available around your pick and if no player represents value for THAT position, you consider other positions. I think the QB position is the classic example. If the Giants have Geno Smith as the highest rated player when we select, I simply don't see us making that pick given we have Eli. Might we trade down at that point at the right price, sure, but we don't make the pick if it comes down to it.

Offensive Line: If Diehl stays healthy, the line should hold up for the 2013 season. Brewer has shown flashes and is being groomed to take over RT, but isn't proven yet. We need a RT and a RG to be ready to step in next year as well as be ready this year in the case of injuries.

Linebackers: With Boley gone and the possibility of Kiwi going to DE like we're hearing, that leaves us shorthanded with Jacquian Williams, Keith Rivers, and Spencer Paysinger on the outside and Dan Conner and Mark Herzlich in the middle. Conner was the no. 1 MLB coming out of the draft a couple of years ago, but like Rivers (another no.1 LB in the draft) hasn't shown the flashes they did in college. We need to pick up a couple of LB's for depth and possible starting.

Defensive Line: With Osi and Canty gone, the defensive line needs some rebuilding. Moving Kiwi to DE will solve the hole left by Osi, but Tuck doesn't seem to be getting better with age and seems to be in the decline. Tuck is a favorite of mine, but I also see reality. Let's hope he gets rejuvenated this year The guards are only solid with Linval Joseph. We have Patterson coming in and he's supposed to be a Rocky Bernard type, but time will tell. Marvin Austin has not showed he can play at the NFL level, Marcus Kuhn is coming off an injury and is green, and Shaun Rogers missed all of last season with health issues and probably is at the end of his career. We really need a solid DT and it wouldn't hurt to find a good DE to groom.

Cornerbacks: Amukamara and Webster will be the starters and the Giants are high on Hosley. Bringing back Ross helps, but isn't a cure-all and Terrell Thomas has had 3 ACL tears and it's hard to think he'll be his old self this year. A good CB is a need as Webster is on the decline.

Safeties: Antrel Rolle is no youngster and we're paying a king's ransom for his salary. Will Hill and Stevie Brown have filled in adequately. Hopefully, Brown isn't a one-year wonder and will duplicate last year's illustrious play. The book is still out on Tyler Sash and hopefully he's ready for a breakout years. We could use another safety as it's almost guaranteed that Rolle will be cut at the end of the season because of his contract.

Tight Ends: Brandon Myers is the new kid on the block and his stats for the last 4 years aren't very impressive. Adrien Robinson showed some flash, but has a long way to go to be a blocker, and Bear Pascoe is a lunch pail guy who does an adequate job, but is never going to light up the score board or go to the pro bowl. We need a big TE that can block and make tough catches in the red zone.

Running Backs: Should be pretty good here as long as Wilson and Brown stay healthy. De'rel Scott is serviceable and may be better than anyone expected if given the chance. I don't see the Giants going for a RB early.

Wide Receivers: The one position we are loaded. Nicks and Cruz are studs and assuming Randle continues to grow...we're looking very good. Jernigan has shown flashes, but will have a hard time getting playing time if the big three ahead of him stay healthy. No real need here.

Quarterbacks: Set!

Special Teams: I don't see a big hole here. We needed a return guy, but Wilson stepped up and showed us we have a good one. I don't see us drafting a kicker or a special teams guy.

----------------------------

We need: OT, OG, DT, DE, LB, TE, CB...not necessarily in that order.

Whooaaaa....when did the Gmen get Meyers!!!

He is a fucking Iowa kid...and a goddamn stud. BB....his is just coming into his own....79 balls last year and 41st downs......you are going to love this kid.

C . Wagon

WR/KR = wide receiver/kick returner, meaning a guy who can do both ala Hixon...not kicker.

And I completely ignored the TE position because (1) we resigned Pascoe, (2) we are developing Adrien Robinson who was drafted last year whom we must think highly enough of to have let Bennett go, and (3) we signed the TE out of Oakland as a free agent.

Pascoe is a great player. He gives it his all and does a serviceable job at it. He'll never have 40 catches and he'll never be a great blocker, although his blocking is what keeps him on the team. Adrien Robinson is little by TE standards and is being groomed for catching a few passes along the way. He's too small to ever be both a solid receiver and a solid blocker. The guy (Myers) we signed from Oakland was a 6th round draft pick 4 years ago and did a serviceable job. Not a great blocker. Caught 4 TD's in 4 years. He's not the future of Pope's gang. We've let 3 excellent TE's go in the last 3 years - big guys, the way a TE is supposed to be - and one who can block like an offensive tackle, or pick up yards by the bunches. Those guys are rare and we don't have one. We have the best TE coach in the NFL, but refuse to give him the tools to excel.

He is a fucking Iowa kid...and a goddamn stud. BB....his is just coming into his own....79 balls last year and 41st downs......you are going to love this kid.

C . Wagon

We signed him as a free agent after Bennett took the money and ran. Few options out there and we got Myers cheap on a four year contract. I hope he can pan out and turn into a monster for us. He did have a big game last year against the Browns, but his productivity has been very sparse the last 4 years. Maybe Pope can turn him into a "Gronk" type player....the way Gronk carried New England the last couple of years. I'm not confident that will happen though.

C . Wagon

Chuck! How did you of all people miss that!?!? We now have Myers and Sash... Iowa is slowly taking over.

C . Wagon

Chuck, have you been hanging out with HLB? (sorry I couldn't resist :P )

Pascoe is a great player. He gives it his all and does a serviceable job at it. He'll never have 40 catches and he'll never be a great blocker, although his blocking is what keeps him on the team. Adrien Robinson is little by TE standards and is being groomed for catching a few passes along the way. He's too small to ever be both a solid receiver and a solid blocker. The guy (Myers) we signed from Oakland was a 6th round draft pick 4 years ago and did a serviceable job. Not a great blocker. Caught 4 TD's in 4 years. He's not the future of Pope's gang. We've let 3 excellent TE's go in the last 3 years - big guys, the way a TE is supposed to be - and one who can block like an offensive tackle, or pick up yards by the bunches. Those guys are rare and we don't have one. We have the best TE coach in the NFL, but refuse to give him the tools to excel.

I'll let Pope teach Myers how to block. Robinson is unproven, yes, but his athleticism and upside are worth noting. Between Pope and Eli, I think they can take advantage of what these guys have as well as make them just as productive as Bennett, Boss, or Ballard were.

We signed him as a free agent after Bennett took the money and ran. Few options out there and we got Myers cheap on a four year contract. I hope he can pan out and turn into a monster for us. He did have a big game last year against the Browns, but his productivity has been very sparse the last 4 years. Maybe Pope can turn him into a "Gronk" type player....the way Gronk carried New England the last couple of years. I'm not confident that will happen though.

Pope is going to make a big difference in Meyers game...but it should be noted...Meyers is much more of an the athelete and refined TE then projects like Pascone, Boss and Ballard....he was an all state basketball player and was All Big Ten TE in 2008....he is just a head down...keep your mouth shut....I'll out hit you....throwback ...with great hands...good feet and a bit of speed.

Yes his numbers were spotty the first four years...but you have to look at the QB situtation over in Oakland....JaMarus Russell was his QB the first two years...then Palmer who couldn't stay on the filed in 10 or 11....the good news if you look at his numbers...they are trending the last too years....79 grabs for that shit bag team...I think he got about 20% of their first downs....he will pay big dividends in the red zone....

I'm very happy about this...I think we have a good one.

C. Wagon

Pope is going to make a big difference in Meyers game...but it should be noted...Meyers is much more of an the athelete and refined TE then projects like Pascone, Boss and Ballard....he was an all state basketball player and was All Big Ten TE in 2008....he is just a head down...keep your mouth shut....I'll out hit you....throwback ...with great hands...good feet and a bit of speed.

Yes his numbers were spotty the first four years...but you have to look at the QB situtation over in Oakland....JaMarus Russell was his QB the first two years...then Palmer who couldn't stay on the filed in 10 or 11....the good news if you look at his numbers...they are trending the last too years....79 grabs for that shit bag team...I think he got about 20% of their first downs....he will pay big dividends in the red zone....

C. Wagon

Good to hear Chuck, I look forward to seeing Manning to Myers in action.

Chuck! How did you of all people miss that!?!? We now have Myers and Sash... Iowa is slowly taking over.

The sports papers out here SUCK....and I can't stand local sports radio.....and I won't sign up for the Alumni shit from the U of I cause they just bomb you with money requests. So...I'm in a bit of a hawkeye blackout in the off season.

I'm very confident in Meyers..I think once he gets Eli's confidence he will be a good producer.......Sash has been a disappointment to-date...he fell off the map at the end of last year...i assume he never came back from his hamstring......anyway....he is playing way too under control...even on Special teams where I expected to see a whole bunch more and where playing with a little abandon in't a bad thing.....he is letting the game come to him.afraid of makig a mistake....that isnt' who he played at Iowa...even as a freshman....big ten at the NFL...hopefully something clicks this year or he will be gone.

C>Wagon

C. Wagon

Exactly. I've said since we signed this dude to a 4 yr deal that we're set at TE. Bennett was unproven when we signed him and a stop-gap at that... not this guy. And we're pretty set at WR and QB and RB as well... the ONLY position of concern on the O is the O-Line and even then not a dire need as we have Brewer in the farm and the guys we have now are pretty serviceable and experienced. Do we need to draft for the future, you bet.

This draft will be heavy on the Defensive side of the ball were DT, DE, LB, CB and Safety are glaring needs.

C. Wagon

Well I'm very glad to hear something about this guy...especially something positive. Between Pope and Eli, he should get a chance to show us the real Myers.

As far as Sash goes...he's actually been pretty good on special teams. Competing for playing time with Philips, Smith (where on earth did he come from), and Will Hill gave him few chances to shine. I don't think he's a lost cause, he just needs opportunity more than anything. I think he sticks on the team because he is a good ST player. An injury or two, and he'll be called upon to play more and maybe he'll have his breakout. Time will tell. That whole issue with the Adderal (sp) and subsequent suspension didn't help. But he's only 24 years old with 2 years NFL experience (including being on the Superbowl squad) so he's not even reached his prime yet and he has a future.

Well I'm very glad to hear something about this guy...especially something positive. Between Pope and Eli, he should get a chance to show us the real Myers.

As far as Sash goes...he's actually been pretty good on special teams. Competing for playing time with Philips, Smith (where on earth did he come from), and Will Hill gave him few chances to shine. I don't think he's a lost cause, he just needs opportunity more than anything. I think he sticks on the team because he is a good ST player. An injury or two, and he'll be called upon to play more and maybe he'll have his breakout. Time will tell. That whole issue with the Adderal (sp) and subsequent suspension didn't help. But he's only 24 years old with 2 years NFL experience (including being on the Superbowl squad) so he's not even reached his prime yet and he has a future.

I'm glad to here this BB.....I'm still a fan...I can remember watching him play in High School...he's is a really good kid..and was a very special player at Iowa...hope he can close to that with GMen as that at a minimum would make his an asset in the Dime package.

C.W agon