SportsWrath

5 UP, 5 DOWN

Allstarjim

I've been working on this and I've completed my analysis for the Giants picks in the first 2 rounds. Last year, I used the overall rankings of the picks by CBS Sportsline, and projected a pick for the Giants based on the number of the pick on CBS Sportsline list, and the 5 players ranked ahead of that number, and the 5 picks behind him. So just for a preview, the 19th pick according to CBS Sportsline was Kenny Vaccaro, and the 5 ranked players ahead of him are Xavier Rhodes, Jarvis Jones, Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, and Tavon Austin. And the 5 behind Vaccaro are Datone Jones, DJ Fluker, Tyler Eifert, Sylvester Williams, and Desmond Trufant.

Based on those players, I mocked Sheldon Richardson to the Giants.

Now, I'll have a full write up on all the rounds with some analysis, but just wanted to give a preview as it's draft week and I know we need to spice up the draft talk. BTW, my pick for the 2nd round is RT Menelik Watson. More to come!

AT LONG LAST!!!

The NFL Draft is almost upon us, and it’s time for me to do my 2nd annual, 5 Up, and 5 Down. This is how it works – I will use the prospect rankings as determined by CBS Sports, you can find them here: http://www.cbssports...rospectrankings. The goal here is to identify players throughout the draft that might be good fits for the Giants, and ones that actually might be available at their pick in those rounds. I will give the Giants pick position in each round, and then introduce the player that CBS Sports says is ranked overall at that slot, and then introduce the 5 players ranked ahead of that player, and the 5 ranked behind that player. At the end, I will give my prediction for the Giants out of those 11 players for each pick. I won’t go into detail about every player, but I will put the names out there, and give some extra information about the player or players in that round that I like for Big Blue. At the end of this, I will have a full 7 round Giants’ mock. But, for the mock draft competition, I reserve the right to change my 1st round pick. Last year, I did not do my first round pick in this thread, it was rounds 2-7. Now you’re not going to see some players I really like mentioned here, because they don’t fall into the 11 man group as determined by CBS Sports, of the 5 players ahead of #19, for example, and the 5 players behind. These would be guys like Chance Warmack, Bjoern Werner, or even Jonathan Cooper. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love for us to draft Warmack, who I think is going to be special (and I think the Giants would love Warmack to be available at 19 as well). But I have to stay within my rules. ***A quick note about these rankings... CBS Sports has updated this list throughout the process of me doing this mock. So some players that were projected in the 2nd round, for example, like Menelik Watson, as being in our group at around #49 overall, is now being projected as a 1st rounder. However, I wrote this as the list was while I went through it, which was within the last 10 days or so. Is Menelik Watson a first rounder now? Maybe. Or maybe they had it right to begin with. But I'm going with what was there when I went through the process, so please, no need to tell me that so and so has no chance to be around at X pick in X round. I based this on the grouping I had when I did this mock. Thanks.

Time to get started.

Rd 1, pick 19

CBS Sports #19 overall prospect is Kenny Vaccaro, FS, Texas, 6’0”, 214 lbs.

5 UP

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU, 6’2”, 210 lbs

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, 6’3”, 245 lbs

Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, 6’3”, 311 lbs

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, 6’3”, 294 lbs

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia, 5’9”, 174 lbs

5 Down

Datone Jones, DE, UCLA, 6’4”, 283 lbs

DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama, 6’5”, 339 lbs

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame, 6’6”, 250 lbs

Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina, 6’3”, 313 lbs

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington, 6’0”, 190 lbs

My pick – Sheldon Richardson, an exceptional power penetrator, good bull rush and swim. Heady player, gets back into plays that other players would be out of. A force in the middle, plays the run and the pass equally well.

Now, my pick here is based on, in part, who I think has somewhat of a chance out of this group to be available at 19. I do believe all the guys in “5 down” have a good chance of being available. But I don’t think Xavier Rhodes will be available, so I didn’t give him much consideration. Ditto for Star Lotulelei, even with the medical issue. I will say this about Star… don’t write him off as a 3-4 fit only. Everybody wants to paint this guy as a 3-4 NT only, and that’s not who he is. He can be that, sure. But this guy can play the 1-tech or 3-tech, and as long as he’s medically good to go, he is going to be an awesome force that can play in either defensive system. I wouldn’t take him over Richardson because Richardson is more athletic and versatile, but if he is available at 19 and the Giants draft him, I’m feeling good, because they will have gotten a dominant inside force. There is also a lot of buzz about Datone Jones, who I do like. He has impressive tape and he really had a fantastic combine. And although he played inside a lot at UCLA, and he commanded a lot of doubles, I would’ve liked to have seen more production from him. I won’t complain if he’s the pick. He is one of the strongest DE’s in this draft with great explosion and instincts. I won’t complain if he’s the pick. In fact, I have Richardson ahead of him only by the slimmest of margins, and I’ve been waffling between the two as the Giants pick a great deal. Again, there is a lot to like about him. But to me, there is less bust potential with Sheldon Richardson.

For Kenny Vaccaro, I don’t understand the hype. I don’t think he’ll be the best safety in this class. He is an awesome athlete with great measurables, but not a great football player, and that shows on the tape. He’s not a very willing tackler from what I’ve seen, particularly against running backs. He takes a lot of bad angles, too. I don’t see the great coverage ability nor the great run stopping ability. So I’m left to wonder what is this kid GREAT at? And I think what it must be is combines and pro days. But on game days, he doesn’t play like a guy that is the supposed 19th best prospect in the draft. If you’re taking a safety at 19 in the first round, you want to get a super stud. That’s not Vaccaro, and I’m not sure he has a great passion for football.

A player who stands out to me on tape is Desmond Trufant. He’s a player who plays bigger than his size, with EXCEPTIONAL coverage ability. Terrific ball skills, and will stay stride for stride on deep balls and will cut off the slant with his knack for getting a hand in and deflecting passes. He has a quick hips and his passion for the game is evident, he will mix it up against anyone. He can play the press or zone off coverage. To me, the only reason he isn’t a top 5 pick is he’s only 6’0”, and had maybe the best all around combine of any corner in this draft, and ran a 4.38 40 yard dash. He’s a little slight and maybe a little less durable than Rhodes or Milliner, so that may be what drops him behind those guys. But when he’s on the field, his coverage ability is second to none, I think he can play on the outside or in the slot.

On to Fluker. I like Fluker, just not at 19. I want a LT at 19, and I don’t think Fluker is a LT, he’s a RT only. Yes, he can be a very good RT for a long time, but I’ll get my RT later or in free agency. Not at 19.

My first round draft board (out of this group) would look like this –

Sheldon Richardson

Datone Jones

Desmond Trufant

DJ Fluker

The other guys aren’t on my draft board because they just aren’t a fit (Jarvis Jones, Sylvester Williams), I just really don’t think they’ll be there (Xavier Rhodes, Star Lotulelei), they don’t represent enough value in the first for me to take them at 19 (Tyler Eifert) or I just really hate them, and they’d be throw your remote picks (Vaccaro, Tavon Austin).

On to the second round, and a promise that upcoming rounds won’t be as lengthy a read.

Round 2, #49

CBS Sportsline #49 prospect is Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, 6’5”, 264 lbs

5 UP

Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU, 6’3”, 262 lbs

Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky, 6’3”, 332 lbs

Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse, 6’2”, 227 lbs

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St, 6’2” 185 lbs

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue, 6’3”, 299 lbs

5 Down

David Amerson, CB, NC State, 6’1”, 205 lbs

EJ Manuel, QB, FSU, 6’5”, 237

Terron Armstead, OT Arkansas Pine-Bluff, 6’5”, 306, lbs

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor, 6’2”, 208 lbs

Menelik Watson, OT, 6’5”, 310 lbs

This is a great group of players. My pick is Menelik Watson.

Obviously, we can forget about a QB probably in any round, much less in round 2, and while Johnthan Banks has a chance to be a good corner, unless I’m getting Milliner, Trufant, or maybe Rhodes in the first, I don’t think there is a lot of room at CB on the roster. And Banks did not make up for a lackluster combine with his pro day. I also don’t see another high pick on a receiver, and with the solid group of DE’s and OL here, why would we? So that means we are going to get a lineman here for the OL or DL, and I love it. With Richardson taken in the first, I can’t mock Kawann Short to us. And while I do like Sam Montgomery, I think he’ll be taken at the end of the first round, even though I think he’ll be a very good player and would be a good choice for us. To me, this pick came down to Armstead or Watson. And I know what you guys are thinking, letting my FSU bias influence the pick. But not in this case. Armstead is incredibly athletic, ran a combine record for Offensive Linemen with a 4.65 40 yard dash. But Watson played at a higher level, and has played very well. Watson also played RT for FSU, Armstead played LT, and I think plays a little softer than Watson, and despite Armstead’s speed, seemed to struggle a bit with speed rushers around the edge. Right now, Watson is a more polished tackle, and I think he’s the guy you can pencil in at RT for a long time, and will play well for the Giants. Watson right now is a better pass protector than run blocker, something that needs a little work. But he is still a very athletic RT, and just needs to get a little stronger and use his base a little better in run blocking. And this isn’t a need pick. Watson rates very highly among this group that I expect to be available. As for Okafor, I’ve studied him a bit more, and I’ve softened on him. I’m not sure I like him as a 2nd round pick. Okafor to me, projects/grades as a 3rd rounder. There will be cries for Larry Warford, who is a fine player, but doesn’t fit our zone blocking scheme, I think Warford isn’t as athletic as you want and he seems to have heavy feet from what I’ve seen. I also don’t think OG is as pressing a need as others.

Round 3, #81 Overall –

CBS Sportsline 81st ranked prospect is Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU, 5’10” 193 lbs.

5 UP

David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado, 6’4”, 299 lbs

DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina, 5’11”, 208 lbs

Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State, 6’6”, 254 lbs

Brian Schwenke, C, Cal, 6’3”, 314 lbs

Brian Winters, OG, Kent State, 6’4”, 320 lbs

5 Down

William Gholston, DE, Michigan State, 6’6”, 281 lbs

Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana, 5’10”, 188 lbs

Jon Bostic, OLB, Florida, 6’1”, 245 lbs

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut, 6’1”, 195 lbs

Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon, 6’4”, 238 lbs

My pick – OG Brian Winters

I love this group of players in the third, you have a great chance at getting a long term starter here, and a player with great upside. Initially, I was all set to right off an interior lineman here, because of the presence of Kiko Alonso, Jon Bostic, and Blidi Wreh-Wilson, players with significant upside at positions that are in need. I also like DJ Swearinger. Now, I fully don’t expect the Giants to take a OG here given the players that will be available, but I am, and I’m going to make my case. Brian Winters is a very athletic 320 lbs. He has terrific lateral agility, and is perfect for our zone blocking scheme. He can pull, he has great form, a polished guard. I am very happy to take a guy I can solidify my O-line for the next 10 years. With Watson in the 2nd, and Winters here, the O-line problems are a thing of the past. Now let me talk about Kiko Alonso, who another draftnik on the more visited Giants’ fan site seems to love. I really do respect that poster. But I watched 3 full games of Alonso, and the player I saw hardly EVER wraps up. I saw a TON of “business decisions” on tape. I also saw sideline to sideline ability and terrific coverage skills. He is a great athlete, in a 6’4” body. He did have a wrist problem, and that may have had something to do with it. But Alonso was just not physical, many times giving up on plays early, just letting running backs run by him, and very rarely ever delivering a blow. Alonso right now is a 3rd down linebacker. But I don’t want him on the field on 1st or 2nd down. Al Morris and RGIII are high-fiving each other if they see Alonso in that back 7. I also saw an interview with Alonso, and he is every bit of the “dumb jock” cliché. He’s the Water Boy without the big hits.

Bostic, on the other hand, is a more stout player, still a good athlete. And I think he’s much more NFL-ready than Alonso, but with much more limited upside. And I was really tempted to take Bostic here, as MLB is a concern, and Bostic can be a good player. Same goes for Swearinger. Big hitter for a smaller safety, plays fast and with passion. Blidi Wreh-Wilson should be a quality corner at the next level, but there’s not a ton of upside and in the end, he’s just a guy. Winters is the BPA here and he’s going to be a good one for a long time, Pro Bowl caliber, and I’m really happy to take him. If you just want the best athlete here, you take Alonso. But the best football player is Brian Winters.

Round 4 – Pick #116 Overall –

CBS Sportsline 116th ranked player – Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford, 5’9”, 214 lbs

5UP

Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia, 6’0”, 213 lbs

Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse, 5’9”, 213 lbs

John Simon, OLB, Ohio State, 6’2”, 257 lbs

TJ McDonald, FS, USC, 6’3”, 219 lbs

Chase Thomas, LB, 6’3”, 244 lbs

5DOWN

Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall, 6’3”, 210 lbs

Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St, 5’10”, 193 lbs

Jordan Reed, TE, Florida, 6’3”, 236 lbs

Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin, 6’4”, 329 lbs

Chris Harper, WR, Kansas St, 6’1”, 229 lbs

My Pick – TJ McDonald

I love the value at safety in this round. And while I wouldn’t argue with a Shawn Williams or Shamarko Thomas, I just love the big FS in TJ McDonald. I think TJ is Kenny Phillips-lite. I think he can step right in and be a factor around the line of scrimmage, and sue me, I just love big safeties. Shamarko Thomas had an awesome combine, but Williams and McDonald both had a great combine as well, and McDonald was just the most productive and imposing safety out of the three. McDonald has the requisite quickness and speed. But he also is better suited to last through the rigors of the NFL. I’ve heard a lot of comparisons of Shamarko to Bob Sanders… well, Bob Sanders sure didn’t play a whole hell of a lot. I will tell you this right now, if Shamarko tries to play safety in the NFL the same way he did at Syracuse, he will spend a lot of time on IR like Sanders, too.

I also considered Chase Thomas. Thomas rushed the passer an awful lot in Stanford’s 3-4 as an OLB. I think he translates to a much better MLB in the NFL. You’d be hard pressed to find a better LB in this draft in terms of shedding blocks. He will be a factor in the run game, and he will be able to fill that A gap. I worry a bit about Thomas in coverage, as he was one of the slowest timed linebackers at the combine, he’s around a 4.8-4.9 40 guy. But if he’s the pick, I still like him more than Herzlich… and we just lost a Chase, why not add another one? Thomas brings a physical element to linebacker that I haven’t seen in other linebackers ranked more highly in this draft, and I am a fan, I think he would be an asset. But McDonald gives me the high ceiling I love… so he’s my pick.

Rd 5 – Pick #152 Overall

CBS Sportsline 152nd ranked prospect is Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas, 6’2”, 212 lbs

5 UP

Khaled Holmes, C, USC, 6’3”, 302 lbs

Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois, 6’6”, 255 lbs

Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, 6’1”, 301 lbs

Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama, 6’2”, 248 lbs

Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio St, 6’8”, 308 lbs

5 Down

Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon, 5’9”, 196 lbs

Ty Powell, OLB, Harding, 6’2”, 249 lbs

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford, 6’8”, 260 lbs

Duke Williams, SS, Nevada, 5’11”, 203 lbs

Brandon McGee, CB, Miami, 5’11”, 193

My Pick – Well, I better take a linebacker here before there is a mutiny. Nico Johnson really jumps out because he’s the middle linebacker for the defending national champions, but take a look at Ty Powell. He’s identical in size to Johnson, but Powell is the more athletic of the two. Unfortunately, at Harding, there isn’t really game tape to watch on Youtube. But Powell was a dynamo at Harding, playing DE, linebacker, and even safety! He had 8.5 sacks, had 4 blocked kicks, 12 TFL’s. Powell had a terrific combine. He worked out with the DE’s, but he’s really a linebacker. This guy has unlimited upside. He’s a 4.64 40, 6.98 3 cone, which would have placed him 2nd among all linebackers. Nico Johson didn’t put up big numbers, but he missed the combine because of a sports hernia, and it’s probable that really affected his play. But I’m going with the high ceiling, tremendously athletic, Ty Powell. I love this pick, I really do. I think this guy is a diamond in the rough, and you could develop into a star linebacker in the NFL. Another guy out of this group I looked at is Michael Buchanan at DE. Has the length the Giants love but needs to add weight, weighing in at the combine at 247 lbs. Buchanan is a very raw prospect who has a consistent motor, but doesn’t use his hands well and predictably gets dominated in the run game. He could develop, but he has too much of a hill to climb for me to take a chance on him here.

6th Round, #187 Overall

CBS Sportsline 187th ranked prospect is Brandon Magee, OLB, Arizona St, 5’11”, 223 lbs

5 UP

Lawrence Okoye, DT, no college/England, 6’5”, 304 lbs

Jake Knott, OLB, Iowa State, 6’2”, 243 lbs

Braxton Cave, C, Notre Dame, 6’3”, 303 lbs

Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado, 6’6”, 269 lbs

Keith Pough, ILB, Howard, 6’2”, 239 lbs

5 DOWN

Michael Ford, RB, LSU, 5’10, 210 lbs

J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell, 6’4”, 307 lbs

Zeke Motta, SS, Notre Dame, 6’3”, 213 lbs

Steve Williams, CB, Cal, 5’9”, 181 lbs

Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan, 5’11”, 199 lbs

My Pick – So one name stands out here and that’s Denard Robinson. And it’s really hard not to take him, because he was such a playmaker in college and ran a 4.34 40 at the combine, that’s game changing speed. But obviously, he’s making the transition to WR, and that’s a big unknown. Robinson could be a special slot receiver at the next level, he could be a Mike Wallace. Truth be told, I like linebackers here as well, in Jake Knott and Keith Pough. Both highly productive players and both can help on specials. But I have to take Robinson. Because the ceiling is too high, and even if we just get dividends from him as a returner early, that could free up Wilson to just focus on being a RB, and we lost our PR in Hixon. Denard Robinson is my pick… but I was all set to pick Jake Knott, whose season ended prematurely this past year because of shoulder surgery. Knott is an OLB who I think can play inside as well. And I’m putting Knott as my alternative pick because I don’t think Robinson is going to be around in the 6th round. Knott has struggled with the injury bug, even pulled a hammy at the combine, causing him not to run the 40 a second time. But Knott is an impact player, who I think is more versatile in our system than is Keith Pough, and of course played a higher level of competition. Chuck? Thoughts on the Iowa boy Knott? From what I saw from him on tape, I like him, and I think he’s just as athletic as Pough and a little stronger and stouter in run defense.

7th Round, pick #225 Overall

CBS Sportsline 225th ranked prospect is Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State, 6’2”, 193 lbs

5 UP

Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, 6’0”, 197 lbs

Matt Stankiewitch, C, Penn State, 6’3”, 302 lbs

Conner Vernon, WR, Duke, 6’0”, 196 lbs

Robert Lester, SS, Alabama, 6’1”, 220 lbs

Jason Weaver, OT, Southern Mississippi, 6’5”, 313 lbs

5 DOWN

Joe Kruger, DE, Utah, 6’6”, 269 lbs

Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State, 6’1”, 233 lbs

Dax Swanson, CB, Sam Houston State, 5’10”, 186 lbs

Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State, 6’4”, 252 lbs

Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State, 6’2”, 215 lbs

My pick – Joe Kruger of course. This should be a no brainer if he’s there. 6’6”, big body, got the size for a DE that the Giants love. Six sacks in 10 games for the Utes last season. He needs to get stronger, but he’s an athlete and has the pedigree, brother Paul just cashed in big time. I love getting a big DE like Kruger here. I know, you guys are thinking, 2 FSU players on the list there and Jim takes a Ute? Yep. Just remember, I try not to be biased, even though I love Dustin Hopkins and think he’s going to be a great NFL kicker. You have to take a chance on Joe Kruger here, because he can really develop into a great starting DE down the line.

7th Round, #253 Overall

CBS Sportsline 253rd ranked player is Steve Beauharnais, ILB, Rutgers, 6’1”, 240 lbs

5 UP

Jasper Collins, WR, Mount Union, 5’10”, 180 lbs

John Lotulelei, OLB, UNLV, 6’0”, 233 lbs

Josh Kline, OG, Kent State, 6’3”, 307 lbs

Kyler Reed, FB, Nebraska, 6’2”, 225 lbs

Marc Anthony, CB, Cal, 6’0”, 196 lbs

5 DOWN

Mike Purcell, DT, Wyoming, 6’3”, 305 lbs

Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee, 6’3”, 242 lbs

Brent Maher, K, Nebraska, 6’0”, 186 lbs

Chris Faulk, OT, LSU, 6’6”, 331 lbs

Travis Johnson, OLB, San Jose St, 6’2”, 240 lbs

My Pick – John Lotulelei. I’m taking another linebacker here but wouldn’t if I had gotten Jake Knott in the 6th. But I’m happy I’m getting Lotulelei here. For one reason, I’m getting a Pacific Islander which should make JMFP happy, to roam around at middle linebacker. But the thing about Lotulelei is, he’s such a passionate player. I love this guy. He is a RELENTLESS pursuer of the football. And he has good speed for middle linebacker, settling in at around a 4.7 40’, but also, very good quickness, having the 2nd best 3 cone of all linebackers at the combine. He also was tremendously productive for UNLV, with over 120 tackles his senior season. This is about 40 more than Steve Beauharnais, who also received strong consideration here. The negative on Lotulelei is he’s a little small at 6’0” and 233 lbs. But he plays bigger. He’s a violent tackler, not afraid to get his pads low and deliver a blow. He’s also very strong for his size, putting up 25 reps at 225, good for 6th at the combine among LB’ers, and that’s more impressive given he is one of the smaller guys. I think Lotulelei has the speed to be a sideline to sideline player, and also should pay dividends early on special teams, a big consideration this late in the draft. If Lotulelei can fill out a bit, he can develop into a good MLB… he has good upside. Lotulelei is a better coverage/space linebacker than Beauharnais, but Beauharnais is the stouter of the two against the run. The latter might also be the more polished and NFL ready linebacker, but Lotulelei has that something special about him that says he could be a player you look back on as one of the real steals of the draft here in the 7th round. When I think of Lotulelei, I think of Maurice Jones-Drew's nickname, Pocket Hercules. To me, John Lotulelei is the Pocket Hercules of linebackers in this draft.

So to sum up, here’s my 7 round Giants mock draft!

Rd 1, Pick 19 – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, 6’3”, 294 lbs

Rd 2, Pick 49 – Menelik Watson, OT, FSU, 6’5”, 305 lbs

Rd 3, Pick 81 – Brian Winters, OG, Kent State, 6’4”, 320 lbs

Rd 4, Pick 116 – TJ McDonald, FS, USC, 6’3”, 219 lbs

Rd 5, Pick 152 – Ty Powell, LB, Harding, 6’2”, 249 lbs

Rd 6, Pick 187 – Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan, 5’11”, 199 lbs

Rd 7, Pick 225 – Joe Kruger, DE, Utah, 6’6”, 269 lbs

Rd 7, Pick 253 – John Lotulelei, LB, UNLV, 6’0”, 233 lbs

This is a great draft guys. There are at least three almost immediate starters, some great special team contributors, and some really high upside players all through the latter rounds. Doing this has me really excited about the draft tomorrow night and this weekend. There is a lot of talent throughout this draft, and some of these decisions were very tough… particularly deciding between LBers. I do hope that the Giants draft at least two of them as I did. Hope you guys enjoy, and it will be fun continuing to talk about this draft before, during and after.

It's stuff like this, I've been going over in my head. If we don't get this guy, who can we get later at that position. Richardson is a guy, I like alot, I just couldn't find a place, I originally had him to St. Louis at 22. Other factors are DT's like Sly Williams have risen above him. I will probably be changing picks in my 1st round mock, in the morning, also in Giants mock. last minute thinking has me going Fluker, who I had two days ago.

Rd 1, Pick 19 – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, 6’3”, 294 lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-Zfc5I-P8

Sheldon Richardson Highlights -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzmn3xzN9vc

He is a small looking 294!!! maybe it is those horrible uniforms, but it does look like he has quite the motor on him and is very athletic. A season or two of strength training with the Giants maybe he packs on another 10-15lbs of muscle and can dominate the middle of that line.

Wow...you put a lot of work into this Jim. Nice job. I really believe the most important picks are 3rd through 5th where there will be real good players to be found, depending on how good of a job our scouts do. First and second picks have to be value picks and it really depends on who's left on the board.

I would be happy with Richardson in the first (unless there's some stud that fell through the cracks like an Ansah or Rhodes). And I'd like to see us go for a linebacker earlier than the 5th round. I'm surprised at your last pick: John Lotulelei. Surprised only because of the name. Is he Star's brother? What's the chance there'd be two players in this draft whose last name is Lotulelei and not be related? It's not like Smith.

Nice work! I would love Richardson in the first. But if Trufant is available, it makes for a really tough decision between the two.

I also like the positions you selected in the first couple rounds. Though we wouldn't necessarily draft for need, I think that there are depth issues on the offensive line, defensive line, and corner that should not be ignored. That said, I don't get the fascination with safety this year. Lots of folks are pinning us with a safety somewhere along the lines and I just don't see it. Yes, Kenny Phillips left, but Ryan Mundy is in. Add Sash, Rolle, Brown and I think we're pretty much set. No, Mundy is not as good as Phillips, I'm not making that argument, simply that the roster spots are pretty full there. Next year, a safety in free agency plus a drafted safety would work, I just don't see the emphasis this year.

I also wouldn't mind two picks on the offensive line with one on the defensive side, but I think that one of those two offensive line picks should be on Saturday...not both on Friday. I think our secondary depth is too shaky to let the 3rd round pass without adding to it...despite what Hosely has shown.

Oh... and Jim... this is the best draft coverage i have read anywhere on the internet... you should call up the star ledger and get those fuckers to pay you for this shit!

Rd 2, Pick 49 – Menelik Watson, OT, FSU, 6’5”, 305 lbs

VS Florida -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5v4n6MuSOQ

Draft Profile -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPDKNEl1sfg

I did not go look him up to see what the stat is but look how long his arms are, and he looks to be engaging the blockers way out in front of his body. Athletic, raw talent with some good habits... that is a Jerrry Reese pick all the way

I would be surprised if Watson was still on the board when we pick our second. I'm intrigued by Kyle Long who isn't quite ready to step into the OT position, but has the perfect size and is very athletic....and of course, he's the son of Howie and brother of Chris. I've heard he's a little green (focused on baseball rather than football) and that he's got some off the field baggage which stopped him from being a top 15 pick. Not sure what the baggage is, but with his family behind him, I have to believe he will want to excel. The fact that he wanted to be a professional baseball player doesn't mean much. Watson focused on basketball rather than football too...but he's going to be a good OT when the dust settles.

I would be surprised if Watson was still on the board when we pick our second. I'm intrigued by Kyle Long who isn't quite ready to step into the OT position, but has the perfect size and is very athletic....and of course, he's the son of Howie and brother of Chris. I've heard he's a little green (focused on baseball rather than football) and that he's got some off the field baggage which stopped him from being a top 15 pick. Not sure what the baggage is, but with his family behind him, I have to believe he will want to excel. The fact that he wanted to be a professional baseball player doesn't mean much. Watson focused on basketball rather than football too...but he's going to be a good OT when the dust settles.

I've been looking at Kyle Long for some time myself. He belongs there in the 2nd, but should Watson go in the first, which is more likely now that the top 3 OTs seem to be going in the top 7 or 9...he may not be. Then again, if the top picking teams get their OTs in the first, they'd be less inclined at the top of the 2nd to do the same.

I'm ready for the draft to get here. 11 hours....

I'm on board with Sheldon Richardson... one thing that grabbed my attention is he seems to have fire in his belly... the dude is intense which is something our D REALLY NEEDS. So for me it's Sheldon, Warmack or that German DE Werner from FS... I've kindda gotten away from Olgertree after reading his negatives...

Tank Carradine maybe there in the 2nd when the Giants pic... I'm guess we take him thre.

I'm not sure where Tyrann Matthiue is ranked but I have a feeling we pick him if he's there in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I still contend we pick a kicker in the 7th maybe even the 6th round.

So far (Weighing BPA & Need):

1. Sheldon Richardson... or Warmack.. or Werner.

2. Tank Carradine.... or Fluker... or Minter.

3. Tyrann Mattieu.... or Minter.

7. Kicker (Caleb Sturgis or Dustin Hopkins... or the Giants may go with Patrick Murray as an RFA instead)

Oh... and Jim... this is the best draft coverage i have read anywhere on the internet... you should call up the star ledger and get those fuckers to pay you for this shit!

Thanks, man, I appreciate it. I did work hard on it... probably a good 15-20 hours went into the research and writing of this. I started about 2 weeks ago, but had to take a week hiatus from it because of a death in the family. I love to do my draft this way, focusing on 11 players per round, because instead of having to study something like 300 prospects, and doing that amount of study, which is very, very difficult, I can look at snapshots in each round, and focus on around 100 players... still a lot of work... but not nearly as much as some guys do... I just don't have that amount of time!

That is why I have Watson as a 2nd rounder, because only in the last week or so has his stock risen by a lot of draftniks to the first round. But I still think he has a good chance to be around in the 2nd, because you historically don't see a lot of RT's go in the first. The LT's will come off the board first. Obviously, Fluker is going to break that mold this year, but I think even Fluker will be taken in the back third of the first round. As for Richardson... he's a plug and play... he may look small, on the tape, but it might just be your computer screen, lol! No, seriously, Richardson is a VERY athletic 295 lbs, and I think the eyes get tricked because a guy that big shouldn't be able to move like that... he has the quickness of a lot of DE's. That's why he's such an immense talent.

If Richardson is there for us at 19, you have to love that pick, because he is a game changing talent in the middle of the defense, and he'll make Tuck and JPP better.

Nice work! I would love Richardson in the first. But if Trufant is available, it makes for a really tough decision between the two.

I also like the positions you selected in the first couple rounds. Though we wouldn't necessarily draft for need, I think that there are depth issues on the offensive line, defensive line, and corner that should not be ignored. That said, I don't get the fascination with safety this year. Lots of folks are pinning us with a safety somewhere along the lines and I just don't see it. Yes, Kenny Phillips left, but Ryan Mundy is in. Add Sash, Rolle, Brown and I think we're pretty much set. No, Mundy is not as good as Phillips, I'm not making that argument, simply that the roster spots are pretty full there. Next year, a safety in free agency plus a drafted safety would work, I just don't see the emphasis this year.

I also wouldn't mind two picks on the offensive line with one on the defensive side, but I think that one of those two offensive line picks should be on Saturday...not both on Friday. I think our secondary depth is too shaky to let the 3rd round pass without adding to it...despite what Hosely has shown.

Gmenroc - my pick there of TJ McDonald is all about value. I think there is so much value at safety in that round that you can't pass up a safety, just BPA pick. I tend to agree with you that we are pretty good at safety going into the season right now. But Sash's roster spot, for example, is not written in stone.

I've been looking at Kyle Long for some time myself. He belongs there in the 2nd, but should Watson go in the first, which is more likely now that the top 3 OTs seem to be going in the top 7 or 9...he may not be. Then again, if the top picking teams get their OTs in the first, they'd be less inclined at the top of the 2nd to do the same.

I'm ready for the draft to get here. 11 hours....

Kyle Long would be a nice fallback if we can't get Watson, who I adore for the Giants (no homo). I think Long needs a bit more work and polish, but he would be a good get.

And Nas, if Carradine is available at 49, I expect the Giants to RUN to the podium! :D

BTW Bleedin'... I was surprised to learn that John Lotulelei and Star Lotulelei are not actually related! But John's little brother does still play for UNLV. I'm sure they are cousins somewhere down the line or something. Star's family is originally from Tonga, John is from Hawaii, but could have some ancestry from Tonga as well, I suppose.

Agreed that Sash is highly upgradable, but using a 4th on doing so when that 4th could be adding CB depth to provide some level of insurance should Webster shit the bed again this year might be the better way to go. That's all.

From what I've seen from Watson, I'd be happy with him or Armstead or Long as a 2nd round OT. Hopefully, they won't be called on this year anyhow and have a year to fall into the position. I just hope that the Giants haven't fallen too in love with Brewer with whatever promise he's shown to avoid getting some obvious talent this draft.