SportsWrath

Kevin Minter, MLB, LSU

Allstarjim

A lot of the write ups about guys from scouts, we make too much of them. If he has the speed and quickness, the coverage stuff can be taught. Not to mention, these pre-draft scout write-ups are quite often dead wrong anyway. I think a guy who will play physical at the line is important. The Redskins won the division because the could run the ball right down our throats. It's important we have a player that isn't completely one dimensional, but right now I want a guy who is going to hit Alfred Morris and knock him backward. Not sure if that's Minter or not, but that's our challenge. Shit, I'd even try Kiwi at MLB right now if it meant Morris didn't rip off 7 yard runs on us every damn carry, lol... only half-joking.

RB nowadays are fast and powerful. remember the days when a DB can manhandle a RB as long as they can catch up to them.. well now we have guys who are heavy and light on the feet.

As far as stopping the run, i believe that starts with the Front line. a awesome DT that make sure a RB can't go straight and have to dance around, cutting to the side, given our LB time to aim and tackle. I think LB aren't as important a position anymore.

hell i could be wrong. lol

TT, the problem with your theory is you have 5 OL and 4 DL. Most of the time, it's up to the linebackers to stop the running backs. Look at the Redskins... they are going to run the zone read option. In my example, say JPP has to stay at home and play the QB. He's still going to have an OT and a TE possibly, to double him. Then you have a Center and Guard doubling Linval, the other guard on Canty, and the RT on Tuck, unless it's a 2 TE set, then Tuck might be getting chipped by the other TE as well. So unless somebody beats the double, or Canty is able to beat his guy, you need a LB that can fill that gap and not get run over for 4 yards. And one preferably, that can shed a fullback quickly and still do the job.

You can get a dominant DT and still have this same problem. You can see a lot of what I'm talking about in this video. The DT's are for the most part out of the plays. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000105648/Giants-vs-Redskins-highlights

We need someone physical with instincts to shoot that gap. Now, Minter isn't the pick at 19. But if he is somehow available at our pick in the second, I'd be all over him, I like him better than Te'o.

TT, the problem with your theory is you have 5 OL and 4 DL. Most of the time, it's up to the linebackers to stop the running backs. Look at the Redskins... they are going to run the zone read option. In my example, say JPP has to stay at home and play the QB. He's still going to have an OT and a TE possibly, to double him. Then you have a Center and Guard doubling Linval, the other guard on Canty, and the RT on Tuck, unless it's a 2 TE set, then Tuck might be getting chipped by the other TE as well. So unless somebody beats the double, or Canty is able to beat his guy, you need a LB that can fill that gap and not get run over for 4 yards. And one preferably, that can shed a fullback quickly and still do the job.

You can get a dominant DT and still have this same problem. You can see a lot of what I'm talking about in this video. The DT's are for the most part out of the plays. http://www.nfl.com/v...kins-highlights

We need someone physical with instincts to shoot that gap. Now, Minter isn't the pick at 19. But if he is somehow available at our pick in the second, I'd be all over him, I like him better than Te'o.

wow.. just got schooled.. thanks for the info... yeah lot of what you say do make a bunch of sense.. but if we can get pressure from our DT, they will be force to double team one or both of our DT. that's just a fantasy.

the Lions used to have this type of pressure from Suh, then they took Fairly and thought that line will be insane. but QB just throw quick short passes and totally kill any pressure from their DT..

ok. we need a crazy ass LB..

A lot of the write ups about guys from scouts, we make too much of them. If he has the speed and quickness, the coverage stuff can be taught. Not to mention, these pre-draft scout write-ups are quite often dead wrong anyway. I think a guy who will play physical at the line is important. The Redskins won the division because the could run the ball right down our throats. It's important we have a player that isn't completely one dimensional, but right now I want a guy who is going to hit Alfred Morris and knock him backward. Not sure if that's Minter or not, but that's our challenge. Shit, I'd even try Kiwi at MLB right now if it meant Morris didn't rip off 7 yard runs on us every damn carry, lol... only half-joking.

Yea I'm not sure tacking licking the qb with the back of your shoulder is a good technique though... this is football 101.

Even worse, TT, did you see that play, I think it was at 2:30, where the whole line just did a slant right, just ignored Osi, so if RGIII keeps it, he has Osi one on one. If Osi collapses down, RGIII easily beats him to the edge. If he doesn't, it just goes up the middle, Morris runs right by Osi. Then you have 5 blockers, plus one or two TE's, and they are all attacking the Giants defense, with Osi out of the play, so that means if you don't have a safety in the box, you are screwed.

They have a great system going in Washington. Hopefully, RGIII isn't as fast and dangerous coming off of this knee injury. I think we need to shore up the entire LB corps. We need guys who love being physical, love to hit people. I'm still searching for that guy. So far, in my research, the only guy I've seen on film that really loves to hit and the contact is Sam Montgomery. I want to see violence of action, what Tom Coughlin would say. I'm not looking at players that I already know aren't going to be at our pick, like Bjoern Werner, who is like another JJ Watt. But videos I've seen of Alec Ogletree, Jon Bostic, and even Minter, to a degree, I want to see a little more. Minter seems to be the most physical I've seen so far. Bigblue25 got me on Okafor, who I also like off the edge, he has the look, for sure. Other mocks have Okafor going in the 2nd. Soon, I could take a look at DT's. A big monster DT can't hurt, TT. WalterFootball has us mocked to take Shariff Floyd out of UF in the 2nd. Haven't watched any video of him yet, he's 6'3" and 298.

True, I never make an evaluation of a guy off of just one play, though. That one did not look good, though.

I do.. and I could be wrong of course.. I've always resented players who don't wrap up... or tackle while losing sight of the guy they're supposed to be tackling..

Some of you guys (not necessarily you) said that about Von Miller, Prince! I was all over that guy early, posted some videos, and got the snarky comments about how he didn't wrap up, tackle fundamentally! :P Got to see more of the body of work. Everyone has a bad play. Von Miller turned out to be one of the best players in that draft!

Some of you guys (not necessarily you) said that about Von Miller, Prince! I was all over that guy early, posted some videos, and got the snarky comments about how he didn't wrap up, tackle fundamentally! :P Got to see more of the body of work. Everyone has a bad play. Von Miller turned out to be one of the best players in that draft!

Wasn't me... I don't really pay much attention to college football anyway... I let the experts handle that. It's just that I saw that play and wondered.. wtf that's all.