SportsWrath

2013 CAP hits - problems ahead ?

UK-Giantsfan

Agree. Nicks been hurt since game 1 of the season.

There has to be a lot of improvements after this season. Coaches needs to be cut and we need O-Line help.

Still, even healthy he's nowhere close to Calvin Johnson level. He's not even on Torrey Smith level, lol.

And what more can be said about Victor Cruz other than I think this year he proved that he 1. doesn't deserve to be paid more than what he is being paid, at least not MUCH more and 2. there was a reason he was a UFA.

As I said in another thread, Nicks was VERY injured all year but he's only 25 freaking years old and has shown he can play at an All Pro level. Cruz (who most people don't realize is actually a year OLDER than Nicks) has 82 catches, over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs this year, with one game to go. In a down year, that ain't too shabby. I know the disappointment makes us see things in the most negative light right about now but I'd envoke the "wait a few days to gain perspective" rule before hitting the eject button on guys like Nicks and Cruz!

As I said in another thread, Nicks was VERY injured all year but he's only 25 freaking years old and has shown he can play at an All Pro level. Cruz (who most people don't realize is actually a year OLDER than Nicks) has 82 catches, over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs this year, with one game to go. In a down year, that ain't too shabby. I know the disappointment makes us see things in the most negative light right about now but I'd envoke the "wait a few days to gain perspective" rule before hitting the eject button on guys like Nicks and Cruz!

I'm pretty sure Victor Cruz had all of his catches prior to week 8, though. That's the kind of inconsistency that destroys teams.

We got old really fast in a lot of spots. It's going to hurt to see some of these guys go if that has to happen. Diehl and Tuck will be remembered as great Giants but it's pretty clear they're in the twilight of their careers. Webster too and I think some of his struggles can be attributed to injuries but that's a big cap number. This is going to be a huge offseason for Reese and the front office. Philly is down for the moment but Washington took their place and Dallas will still be around. Lots of tough decisions to be made.

I think Webster let me himself go in the offseason... dude looks like he never hit the weights. The Good News on that front is Prince and Hosely are our future and they seem to be solid... not sure who's coming back from injuries next year in terms of back ups. Rolle can plan CB if he restructures as I think his contract is one of those that's are not worth the contribution given it's massive size. At this point I have to look past KP, he's too injury prone. Our Dline and LB need upgrades... major ones.

Our WR are fine... I think with Nicks, Cruz, and Randle we're set... Nicks needs to get healthy and he will... and he needs to have a nasty demeanor to him as he's been playing soft. My only concern on the O is the OL... I think Snee still has a few years left and Baas is serviceable at this point... It's Diehl who's killing us.

Not a huge problem but there are some tight spots. Roughly $2.2 million under the cap for 2013. Consider our current free agents at the end of the season:

Starters: Martellus Bennett, Victor Cruz, Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, Kenny Phillips, Lawrence Tynes, Keith Rivers, Chase Blackburn.

Key backups: Sean Locklear, Osi Umenyiora, Domenik Hixon, Rocky Bernard, Stevie Brown

Two most likely candidates for salary cap casualties are David Diehl and Terrell Thomas. Bradshaw will have to restructure his contract or he could very well be cut. We have to re-sign Victor Cruz and it would be very smart to lock down Hakeem Nicks at the same time. Webster and Tuck might restructure and although they had a down season I see no reason to cut them because they will bounce back.

I have no doubt that lots of roster turn over will be done this off-season. Seems that Reese didn't wanna upset the apple cart by changing alot. Outside of Bennett who was a "new starter" on the team? Sean Locklear?

I agree.....last year this was a 9-7 team that won a Super Bowl. This year, this is going to probably be a 9-7 team that misses the playoffs.

Last year, having won the Super Bowl, there was a ton of great vibes, and in that sort of feel-good glare, it would have been very tough for Reese to turnover the roster.

This year is a different story.