SportsWrath

Storm

For the life of me, I cannot figure out the purpose or benefit of eliminating the I-Formation from the Giants offense. It seems to happen every year around this time, it happened just about every year while we had Hedgecock, too. You are taking your best lead blocker out of the equation and letting a guy with bad ankles, who's not exactly known for finding holes on his own, run into the back of his own lineman. Get Hynoski in there, who the hell cares if they know you're going to run the ball if they can't fucking stop you?

Yeah, Gilbride, I get it, you like your wide receivers. I like them, too. I get that you like to have at least two plays called at the line and that may, in your opinion, require 3 WRs and a TE (who doesn't get nearly enough looks as it is) at all times....but you are TAKING AWAY YOUR QUARTERBACKS BEST WEAPON! THE PLAYACTION. No effective run, no effective playaction. You're handcuffing Eli!

For the life of me, I cannot figure out the purpose or benefit of eliminating the I-Formation from the Giants offense. It seems to happen every year around this time, it happened just about every year while we had Hedgecock, too. You are taking your best lead blocker out of the equation and letting a guy with bad ankles, who's not exactly known for finding holes on his own, run into the back of his own lineman. Get Hynoski in there, who the hell cares if they know you're going to run the ball if they can't fucking stop you?

Yeah, Gilbride, I get it, you like your wide receivers. I like them, too. I get that you like to have at least two plays called at the line and that may, in your opinion, require 3 WRs and a TE (who doesn't get nearly enough looks as it is) at all times....but you are TAKING AWAY YOUR QUARTERBACKS BEST WEAPON! THE PLAYACTION. No effective run, no effective playaction. You're handcuffing Eli!

Sometimes I wonder if Gilbride has a learning disability.

Sometimes I wonder if Gilbride has a learning disability.

I think it's arrogance to a degree. The yards come so easy sometimes that when we run into problems, there isn't a plan or adjustments ready to counter. You can't expect to bomb the ball down the field every time against good defenses. And why Bennett has been fazed out lately I don't know. He's the best tight end we've had here in a while and the first few weeks it looked like he was on his way to a big season.

I think it's arrogance to a degree. The yards come so easy sometimes that when we run into problems, there isn't a plan or adjustments ready to counter. You can't expect to bomb the ball down the field every time against good defenses. And why Bennett has been fazed out lately I don't know. He's the best tight end we've had here in a while and the first few weeks it looked like he was on his way to a big season.

Is Gilbride still doing the designed 30 play game management system then make adjustments after he sees what the the other team is giving them? Maybe he upped it to 50 plays?

I think it comes down to execution more than the play calling. Sure, there will always be plays or series that you can question but we still can't run the ball with any consistency - to many running plays look DOA, going for 2 yards or less. And Nicks is still not 100% - the burst just isn't there yet.

Is Gilbride still doing the designed 30 play game management system then make adjustments after he sees what the the other team is giving them? Maybe he upped it to 50 plays?

I didn't think he did that.

Edit:

Gilbride is a little more traditional in his approach. Call it old-fashioned if you will, but he likes to have a first 15 plays in mind, and it's the way many other coordinators approach a game.

15 plays.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/02/01/coordinators-hold-power-to-script-opening-plays

Absolutely

I think it comes down to execution more than the play calling. Sure, there will always be plays or series that you can question but we still can't run the ball with any consistency - to many running plays look DOA, going for 2 yards or less. And Nicks is still not 100% - the burst just isn't there yet.

The Giants have many, many deficiencies that have been masked by a good turnover ratio the past few weeks but are coming to the surface now:

1. No blocking for the running game.

2. An ineffective QB that seems to be on a cold streak.

3. Poor run and pass defense.

I can't hang any of these losses on Gilbride. The Giants just aren't executing.

The real reason for the offense's struggles is that they aren't getting good pass protection on the right side, for one.

Secondly, Eli doesn't have the same confidence in Nicks he should have, because Nicks isn't right. Eli should be throwing to Nicks every time when he sees one on one with him. But he's not doing it. He threw a fade to Randle in the endzone against Pittsburgh when Nicks had inside position and was open on the right side, one on one, but Eli never looked at him, on a higher percentage pass. How can you look at Randle before Nicks? Leading me to my 3rd point...

Some of these receivers don't have the chemistry built with Eli yet. Notably, Randle. You can see it in the games, mistakes being made because Eli thinks Randle should be going one way, and he goes the other. Eli needs to work with him more to get his butt squared away. Because right now, he's not doing the job. Barden should be on the field before Randle right now if Randle can't read the defense correctly yet.

Lastly, they are missing the explosive element to their run game. If Wilson gets some more touches, he really needs to only make 1 or 2 big plays to really affect the outcome of the game. And Wilson is capable of doing that. He's just not getting utilized.

Eli is fine. There's nothing wrong with him, he's the same Eli every week. But he's not getting the performance out of the other guys he needs to be able to move the ball effectively.

The good news is the defense is playing pretty well despite some injuries at key positions. And we are 6-3 with a 2 game lead in the division. I still think this team can go 11-5 and possibly secure a 1st round bye. But they have to fix the above issues, and I have every confidence they will.

Eli is fine. There's nothing wrong with him, he's the same Eli every week. But he's not getting the performance out of the other guys he needs to be able to move the ball effectively.

i wish I could say the same, but Eli is pretty clearly not fine.

He badly underthrew Nicks on the first play of the game for what probably would have been a TD, had another very bad pick, and should have had another in the end zone where he threw it RIGHT TO a defender.

He's having his annual November slump.