SportsWrath

I have a question for people that want a WR first round

Frank_Grimes

I'm all for taking the BPA on the board, and if Chad Jackson or Santorio Holmes is available I think they should strongly be considered. That being said where does a WR fit on the roster? Right now we have:

Plaxico Burress

Amani Toomer

Tim Carter

Jamaar Taylor

David Tyree

Willie Ponder

I don't think we can realistically carry 7 WR's on the roster, and those guys all seem to be locked in for this year, Carter just got re-signed, Taylor is still young and we don't know what we have with him, Tyree and Ponder are musts for special teams. (Fab 4 please don't bother responding with the "cut Burress he whines and is in Miami posts" we know how you feel already thanks)

So who goes if we draft a WR?

Guest Floyd The Barber

its simple...

we will not select one this year...it doesnt matter if Jerry Rice is still available at 25

we have a theme heading into this years draft...

DE FENSE !!!

I say we go for best available player in the first round. I am not really fond of trading up to and giving up more picks. I like the idea of extra picks by trading down. I do not like Moss. He is quick but small. Next years draft is going to be full of wideouts. There are many options in the first round besides moving up or down. I don't know where we are going to go. Probably a CB. We trade up then we go after a DT. In the second round, we can go for a LB, CB, OT, G. Really anything is a possibility this year. We have 6 picks, I saw 4/6 are going to be defensive.

I say we go for best available player in the first round. I am not really fond of trading up to and giving up more picks. I like the idea of extra picks by trading down. I do not like Moss. He is quick but small. Next years draft is going to be full of wideouts. There are many options in the first round besides moving up or down. I don't know where we are going to go. Probably a CB. We trade up then we go after a DT. In the second round, we can go for a LB, CB, OT, G. Really anything is a possibility this year. We have 6 picks, I saw 4/6 are going to be defensive.

Yeah, Moss is definately not worth a 1st round pick. I would rather draft Deangelo Williams than Moss even if Rb is less of a need than WR. I'm hoping a tackle slides to our pick. That would be key.

If we were to take a WR in the first round Willie Ponder would most likely go. Chad Morton did a good job of returning kicks AND punts last year. Might as well use the roster space on a receiver who can contribute on the offensive side of the ball

Guest Carbo

The six players you listed are all expendable and disposable. Burress is an overrated headcase and clubhouse cancer. Carter, Taylor, and Ponder are all huge busts. Tyree is a standout special teams player, but will never be a quality wideout in the NFL. Toomer has been a great Giant, but his career is on the downside.

The Giants definitely do need a game breaking wide receiver. It's been 30 years since they have had one. But, while making a pick out of desperation is EA's style, even he wouldn't be fool enough to draft Moss. . .would he?? :unsure:

People like Moss because despite his size, he's got great speed, and great hands, and he could be used in a variety of ways. I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed if we used our 1st round pick on Moss.

The thing you have to keep in mind, is that besides DT, the Giants are fairly deep at just about every other position right now, and just because we have 6+ WR's on the roster, doesn't mean they can't look to upgrade, or take the best available player. We also have 4 OT's on our roster, 6 CB's(not including Peterson), 4 running backs, 4 DE's, a crop full of safeties and LB's, it's all relative. And for the most part, Burress and Tyree are the only 2 players who are virtually garanteed a roster spot.

I'm not really in favor of selecting a WR with the first pick or any other pick, but if it happens to be Moss, I'd be pretty happy.

Guest Nutty Sack
The six players you listed are all expendable and disposable. Burress is an overrated headcase and clubhouse cancer. Carter, Taylor, and Ponder are all huge busts. Tyree is a standout special teams player, but will never be a quality wideout in the NFL. Toomer has been a great Giant, but his career is on the downside.

The Giants definitely do need a game breaking wide receiver. It's been 30 years since they have had one. But, while making a pick out of desperation is EA's style, even he wouldn't be fool enough to draft Moss. . .would he?? :unsure:

He's Uncle Ernie ........fiddle about, fiddle about , fiddle about !!

People like Moss because despite his size, he's got great speed, and great hands, and he could be used in a variety of ways. I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed if we used our 1st round pick on Moss.

The thing you have to keep in mind, is that besides DT, the Giants are fairly deep at just about every other position right now, and just because we have 6+ WR's on the roster, doesn't mean they can't look to upgrade, or take the best available player. We also have 4 OT's on our roster, 6 CB's(not including Peterson), 4 running backs, 4 DE's, a crop full of safeties and LB's, it's all relative. And for the most part, Burress and Tyree are the only 2 players who are virtually garanteed a roster spot.

I'm not really in favor of selecting a WR with the first pick or any other pick, but if it happens to be Moss, I'd be pretty happy.

Assessing depth takes more than simply counting the number of players on the roster listed at each position. If Petitgout goes down in week 1 do you really want Whitfield as the starting Left Tackle for the remainder of the season? Whereas if Toomer is injured Carter and Taylor likely get more playing time. You tell me which is a worse scenario.

I still wouldn't say we're deep at LB either.

I'm all for taking the BPA on the board, and if Chad Jackson or Santorio Holmes is available I think they should strongly be considered. That being said where does a WR fit on the roster? Right now we have:

Plaxico Burress

Amani Toomer

Tim Carter

Jamaar Taylor

David Tyree

Willie Ponder

I don't think we can realistically carry 7 WR's on the roster, and those guys all seem to be locked in for this year, Carter just got re-signed, Taylor is still young and we don't know what we have with him, Tyree and Ponder are musts for special teams. (Fab 4 please don't bother responding with the "cut Burress he whines and is in Miami posts" we know how you feel already thanks)

Ponder... cause he hasn't done shit as a WR, and now we have Morton for returns

Assessing depth takes more than simply counting the number of players on the roster listed at each position. If Petitgout goes down in week 1 do you really want Whitfield as the starting Left Tackle for the remainder of the season? Whereas if Toomer is injured Carter and Taylor likely get more playing time. You tell me which is a worse scenario.

I still wouldn't say we're deep at LB either.

I don't know too many teams who have the luxory of carrying 3 offensive left tackles, let alone 5 OT's altogether. And if we do draft an OT in the first round, we're going to have a lot of money invested in that position between Petitgout, McKenzie and a #1.

My point was though, it could go in either direction, and if I had a choice between either Eric Winston or Sinorice Moss, I'd hope they go with the latter. I'm not terribly high on Winston, and I think we can get similar talent in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft at OT if need be.

As far as our linebacker situation goes, we're certainly in much better shape than we were in last week. That's not to say I don't think we'll invest a draft pick at some point in the draft, but the Giants have certainly put themselves in a much better position heading into the draft as far as not having to draft for need.

Guest Nutty Sack

I ask of thee !! What do we need more , a defensive tackle or another wide receiver for Eli to over throw ??

Plaxico Burress

Amani Toomer

Tim Carter

Jamaar Taylor

David Tyree

Willie Ponder

If EA selects a WR in the first round George Young will be rolling over in his grave!!

DAMMIT DEFENSE DEFENSE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt mind taking a WR but i know it probably wont happen i hope we some how magically trade and get huff hes 1 of the best players in the draft IMO but if we do draft a WR i wouldnt mind chad jackson and we would probably cut tim carter or someone like him....I saw in a mock draft it had chad jackson falling to us if hes there i wouldnt mind taking him if the good LBS have alrady been taken like chad jackson or demeco ryan....

unless santonio holmes or chad jackson is available there is no reason to take a receiver in round one. i wouldnt consider any of the other receivers a steal at that pick. and if we did take either jackson or holmes, i wouldnt shed any tears with carter, taylor, or ponder leaving. their kind of talent can be found on the street.

unless santonio holmes or chad jackson is available there is no reason to take a receiver in round one. i wouldnt consider any of the other receivers a steal at that pick. and if we did take either jackson or holmes, i wouldnt shed any tears with carter, taylor, or ponder leaving. their kind of talent can be found on the street.

ponder;s ST cant be found on the street it takes time to develop chemistry like his and Feagles!

ponder;s ST cant be found on the street it takes time to develop chemistry like his and Feagles!

Ponder is the result of a good blocking scheme and is overrated.

Morton has proved that he has more talent than Ponder and is more of a threat...and he can return punts too.