SportsWrath

Am I the only one

*SDMF*

I think we should have went for it the second time inside the 10. I have no problem if we dont make it. Against any team for that matter. The offense will be pinned with there backs on the wall and I feel that when our D is on the field in that position they can force turnovers. So lets hear what ya got.:confused:

A strong case can be made to your point, SDMF. Coughlin is so damn conservative. He's a great coach, but I agree, sometimes in these games you have to go for it, and get 6 when you are right on the doorstep. First time he doesn't make it, though, NY media is all over him for not taking the points. But you look at what Harbaugh did with the onside kick and the Giants hesitation to take a gamble... and that really told the story of the game.

A strong case can be made to your point, SDMF. Coughlin is so damn conservative. He's a great coach, but I agree, sometimes in these games you have to go for it, and get 6 when you are right on the doorstep. First time he doesn't make it, though, NY media is all over him for not taking the points. But you look at what Harbaugh did with the onside kick and the Giants hesitation to take a gamble... and that really told the story of the game.

In such a close game.. you never leave points on the field... going for field goals was the right thing to do.

In such a close game.. you never leave points on the field... going for field goals was the right thing to do.

agreed, especially in the 1st quarter.

More needs to be done about WHY we aren't getting in the end zone from inside the 10.

And it starts with Gilbride's insistence on not actually taking shots INTO the end zone and allowing his own players to keep the ball in front of the defenders with short passes (normally out routes) and draw plays.

Our sequence of plays inside the 10---- Fade pass, draw play, short pass. Every time.

agreed, especially in the 1st quarter.

More needs to be done about WHY we aren't getting in the end zone from inside the 10.

And it starts with Gilbride's insistence on not actually taking shots INTO the end zone and allowing his own players to keep the ball in front of the defenders with short passes (normally out routes) and draw plays.

Our sequence of plays inside the 10---- Fade pass, draw play, short pass. Every time.

Unless you're a superb running team against not a superb run stopping team, you will have a harder time scoring TDs that close to the goal line since everyone is bunched up... we scored our TDs from beyond the 10... and that's where we should have been gunning for the end zone from.

Unless you're a superb running team against not a superb run stopping team, you will have a harder time scoring TDs that close to the goal line since everyone is bunched up... we scored our TDs from beyond the 10... and that's where we should have been gunning for the end zone from.

Absolutely. I'd rather them go 4 wide and run it with the defense spread out than run the ball with everybody bunched up at the line.

Thats a fair point. But I dont think, and certainly hope Coughlin can give 2 shits about the media. But with that being said, I dont think its being conservative as it is playing it "safe" so to say(and if that makes any sense to you). And I really think that on sides kick was the turning point. I also DID NOT like us kicking to start the game. I dont know who won the toss but I'm going to take a guess that we won and decided to receive. Personally I would have kicked it and make the 9ers beat me. It also gives, I think, the offense a sense of urgency to score a TD. And if anything has been our strong point is scoring when we need to most.

I thought the onside kick was dumb. I did hear in SF that they had picked up something on film that showed a flaw in Giants coverage. Even so, it wasn't very smart. If there were a flaw, I would've saved it for the 2nd half. The story of the game from where I sat was a) we had no running game. b) they did. c) we underestimated alex smith who played as well as eli. they will be in pro bowl together.

the smart things that harbaugh did was a) the motion play that drew the giants off side on 3rd and 2. apparently, they showed the league that play during the week and got the nod it was legal. 2 plays later, they scored on the vernon davis td.

also, when he challenged the obvious catch in the 4th Q. I said to my friend at the time, he's doing it to get a long time out. he didnt admit it, but he didn't deny it.

this game reminded me of the 1990 game where both teams came in with 1 loss, the giant lost i believe 7-6. and then won in the playoffs 15-13 i think.

almost won 2 games without scoring a td.

you can't go on 4th and goal when you have no running game.

Coughlin would not pull a trick play or onsides kick if it would save his whole family from going off a cliff in a bus

I want HC with some cajonnes......and an OC who does not call a draw on 2nd and 3rd down for short yardage 99% of the time

They had a running game?? WTF? Check the Stats we snuffed their running game.......they had a passing game which we were TOTALLY unprepared for and no mid game adjustments were made.......does Fewell actually watch the games or does he go take a nap at halftime?

Despite the miscues and issues with playcalling, the Giants are a play away from sending this game into overtime. Id love to see them at 7-2 but we played a good team in their building and hung with them every step of the way. 395 yards on a very good defense and an improving run defense. There is a lot of good things to take from this game. I wasn't sure how they would fare against the better teams going into last week but I have confidence they can manage this tough stretch after watching the last two weeks.

Unless you are on the 2 or 1, I HATE running the ball inside the 10. Unless you're running a sweep to the outside. You're allowing the entire defense to keep the player with the ball in front of them.

i'd say kendall hunter's 7 ypc were pretty damaging. so were smith's scrambles.

That 25 yard touchdown run sealed the deal. I thought we were pretty piss poor at stopping the run, once again. It was just skewed because they didn't run the ball a lot against us.

Unless you are on the 2 or 1, I HATE running the ball inside the 10. Unless you're running a sweep to the outside. You're allowing the entire defense to keep the player with the ball in front of them.

yeah but if you don't have the threat of a running game, you're allowing the D to gt one dimensional. And god they have great LB's

yeah but if you don't have the threat of a running game, you're allowing the D to gt one dimensional. And god they have great LB's

Well, that's why I left in the sweep to the outside....you could even keep the counter and off-tackle plays. Essentially, get rid of the dives, delays, and draws.....the Disgusting D's as I call them.

Playaction, rolling the QB out (Manning is not the best scrambler, it doesn't mean he is a statue), and shot gun pass plays are much more effective down there.

I would like to see film of all of our red zone touchdowns this season, I wish someone was like a digital media guy and could make us a video.....it'd be interesting to see what we've scored on and what we haven't....

I have to disagree. I commented in another thread that this game reminded me of the Giants/Niners games of the 80's. In the Giants Super Bowl year, the G-men and Niners played each other in the regular season on Monday night. The Giants fell behind 7-0, and three times they were able to drive into the red zone. Three times Parcells went for it on fourth-and-short, and three times they were stopped. San Francisco won 7-3.

Fast forward to the playoffs and the Giants are playing the Niners again, trying to prevent the "three-peat." Again the Giants drive deep into Niners territory only to be stopped, so what does Parcells do? He kicks a field goal. On the next drive, he kicks another field goal. Two drives later, he kicks another field goal. The Giants ended up winning the game on five Matt Bahr field goals. As stated above, you can't leave points on the field.

Despite the miscues and issues with playcalling, the Giants are a play away from sending this game into overtime. Id love to see them at 7-2 but we played a good team in their building and hung with them every step of the way. 395 yards on a very good defense and an improving run defense. There is a lot of good things to take from this game. I wasn't sure how they would fare against the better teams going into last week but I have confidence they can manage this tough stretch after watching the last two weeks.

Agreed. You can't really get that mad at the Giants, they played a good game against what's probably the second best team in the league.

I have to disagree. I commented in another thread that this game reminded me of the Giants/Niners games of the 80's. In the Giants Super Bowl year, the G-men and Niners played each other in the regular season on Monday night. The Giants fell behind 7-0, and three times they were able to drive into the red zone. Three times Parcells went for it on fourth-and-short, and three times they were stopped. San Francisco won 7-3.

Fast forward to the playoffs and the Giants are playing the Niners again, trying to prevent the "three-peat." Again the Giants drive deep into Niners territory only to be stopped, so what does Parcells do? He kicks a field goal. On the next drive, he kicks another field goal. Two drives later, he kicks another field goal. The Giants ended up winning the game on five Matt Bahr field goals. As stated above, you can't leave points on the field

that was 1990, seph. and you're correct.