Guest nosebleed

Guest nosebleed

Glauber

FOOTBALL

LaVar is no Lawrence Taylor

Apr 23, 2006

April 23, 2006

He plays the same position, wears the same number and even looks a lot like the greatest linebacker in Giants history. But make no mistake: LaVar Arrington is no Lawrence Taylor.

The Giants signed the former Redskins linebacker Saturday to a $49 million deal in hopes of bolstering a defense that fell apart at the linebacker position last year because of injuries. And while Arrington is certainly an upgrade, he is not necessarily the answer.

Redskins coaches had grown weary of Arrington's incessant habit of playing outside the scheme, and head coach Joe Gibbs had repeated conversations about the problem. While Arrington did show some willingness to play within defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' scheme as the season went along, it still wasn't enough to convince the Redskins to keep their former first-round pick.

Arrington's free-lancing mentality goes back beyond that, to the point where you wonder if he'll ever really change. Even at Penn State, he infuriated coaches by making decisions on his own to rush the passer, even if the scheme called for him to drop back into coverage. While he often made spectacular plays, he also left others out of position because of his decisions. The same thing happened repeatedly with the Redskins.

Arrington will certainly be on a tight leash with Tom Coughlin as his head coach and Tim Lewis as defensive coordinator. But the Giants' best hope for making him turn into a more productive, more reliable player, may lie with middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, Arrington's former Redskins teammate. Pierce lobbied hard for the Giants to sign Arrington, and the team listened. Now it's Pierce's job to make sure Arrington does what he's supposed to do, play-in and play-out.

A tall order indeed. You can't ignore Arrington's track record. A guy who is used to playing his own way doesn't suddenly do what he's told. That's why you have to look at this signing in context

well could this article be more one sided....

it makes it seem like the giants just throw money at him and that is not exactly what they did considering it is an incetive deal also they brought up one little part of his game

this article is horrible and the writer should be fired

Edited by uconngiants

Guest Nutty Sack

What ever happened to the Giant organization that I knew ?? Where evaluaters and scouts had the conviction to draft the right football player and mold him into a home grown Giant football player ?? Why are we bringing in head cases all of a sudden. First Plax now this. Do you think for one moment this guys going to change his stripes ?? You think he's going to take direction from AP or the coaching staff ??

Get ready for another remake of Mutiny on the Bounty coming to theatres near you this fall !!

well could this article be more one sided....

it makes it seem like the giants just throw money at him and that is not exactly what they did considering it is an incetive deal also they brought up one little part of his game

this article is horrible and the writer should be fired

it could be but nosebleed should have come up with some more witty ideas before he posted this

Do you think for one moment this guys going to change his stripes ?? You think he's going to take direction from AP or the coaching staff ??

He'd better or else Coughlin is gonna sit his ass,

Guest nosebleed
What ever happened to the Giant organization that I knew ?? Where evaluaters and scouts had the conviction to draft the right football player and mold him into a home grown Giant football player ?? Why are we bringing in head cases all of a sudden. First Plax now this. Do you think for one moment this guys going to change his stripes ?? You think he's going to take direction from AP or the coaching staff ??

Get ready for another remake of Mutiny on the Bounty coming to theatres near you this fall !!

Yes, Nutty, what did happen to this once proud organization??? By week 5, Lavar will be crying about his lack of blitzing in the defense, by week 8 he will be laying next to Shockey on the trainer's table.

He'd better or else Coughlin is gonna sit his ass,

and there goes all his Preformance dollars :TU: he would probley have the most expensive seat at giants stadium if they put him on the pine it would cost him millions ........... so do what we (Giants ) say oryou will have to pay

Yes, Nutty, what did happen to this once proud organization??? By week 5, Lavar will be crying about his lack of blitzing in the defense, by week 8 he will be laying next to Shockey on the trainer's table.

Kind of like last year when Shockey only missed ONE game you cum dumpster?

This is why the contract he signed, crafted by EA, is so brilliant. If he refuses to play within the defense, the coaches will bench him and he can't earn the big money that he wants. A little incentive to follow the schemes and listen to the coaches. Great signing.

This is why the contract he signed, crafted by EA, is so brilliant. If he refuses to play within the defense, the coaches will bench him and he can't earn the big money that he wants. A little incentive to follow the schemes and listen to the coaches. Great signing.

I thought I heard that some were :confused:

Wow, Glauber really went out on a limb with that thesis...

I was thinking the same thing.

Also I would like to point out EA and Joe Paterno are close friends. You would think EA made a call to JoePa inreference to his "freelancing" remark. Greg Williams is a different type of cordinator then Lewis. Williams is all about scheme and his system. Lewis gives his players a little more slack and doesnt have the "big head" Greg Williams has. Even then, if Arrington was such a liability why would Pierce make the effort and be the driving force behind the Lavar signing?

WLBs are supposed to make plays, Lavar makes plays. We havent had a backer make plays in a long time. We got a great deal and didnt overpay so kudos to Abrams. Lavar is an impact LB who gives us an attitude we were desperately lacking. I dont see how you cant be happy with this signing. If you're a Giants fan you most likely have a love for the defense. Arrington is a much needed upgrade to our D.

Guest Lockhart
Glauber

FOOTBALL

Apr 23, 2006

April 23, 2006

He plays the same position, wears the same number and even looks a lot like the greatest linebacker in Giants history. But make no mistake: LaVar Arrington is no Lawrence Taylor.

The Giants signed the former Redskins linebacker Saturday to a $49 million deal in hopes of bolstering a defense that fell apart at the linebacker position last year because of injuries. And while Arrington is certainly an upgrade, he is not necessarily the answer.

Redskins coaches had grown weary of Arrington's incessant habit of playing outside the scheme, and head coach Joe Gibbs had repeated conversations about the problem. While Arrington did show some willingness to play within defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' scheme as the season went along, it still wasn't enough to convince the Redskins to keep their former first-round pick.

Arrington's free-lancing mentality goes back beyond that, to the point where you wonder if he'll ever really change. Even at Penn State, he infuriated coaches by making decisions on his own to rush the passer, even if the scheme called for him to drop back into coverage. While he often made spectacular plays, he also left others out of position because of his decisions. The same thing happened repeatedly with the Redskins.

Arrington will certainly be on a tight leash with Tom Coughlin as his head coach and Tim Lewis as defensive coordinator. But the Giants' best hope for making him turn into a more productive, more reliable player, may lie with middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, Arrington's former Redskins teammate. Pierce lobbied hard for the Giants to sign Arrington, and the team listened. Now it's Pierce's job to make sure Arrington does what he's supposed to do, play-in and play-out.

A tall order indeed. You can't ignore Arrington's track record. A guy who is used to playing his own way doesn't suddenly do what he's told. That's why you have to look at this signing in context

Great - another me-first guy. Wait until he gives up 3 or 4 70+ yard TDs because he is out of position - that's wwwwwwwhy Gibbs benched him and that is why Ccoughlin will have to, unless of course he is already on the IR by then.

Great - another me-first guy. Wait until he gives up 3 or 4 70+ yard TDs because he is out of position - that's wwwwwwwhy Gibbs benched him and that is why Ccoughlin will have to, unless of course he is already on the IR by then.

Shouldn't you be hiding under a rock after your claims that we weren't interested in Lavar were totally untrue? :rolleyes:

His potential earnings in a year is 5 million--and that includes having to make the Probowl. His base is 3.5.

Barret Green was making ~2 million?

It's not going to be too hard to be an upgrade over Green--just stay on the field. And even if he isn't an upgrade over Griesen, which I think he is, we're not going to have to sit there and deal with a long contract before fixing the problem.

Quite frankly, this defense doesn't really need him to be LT. We just need him to stay on the field, and play at a level he's played at before, which has been better than Griesen.

But of course, if he can play at a level close to LT, I don't think I'd be upset. ;)

His potential earnings in a year is 5 million--and that includes having to make the Probowl. His base is 3.5.

Barret Green was making ~2 million?

It's not going to be too hard to be an upgrade over Green--just stay on the field. And even if he isn't an upgrade over Griesen, which I think he is, we're not going to have to sit there and deal with a long contract before fixing the problem.

Quite frankly, this defense doesn't really need him to be LT. We just need him to stay on the field, and play at a level he's played at before, which has been better than Griesen.

But of course, if he can play at a level close to LT, I don't think I'd be upset. ;)

LA makes Griesen look like a Pop-Warner back up :TU: